Register now to get rid of these ads!

misused discriptions that irritate or annoy you

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustdodger, Aug 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

Nerf bars! Growing up, nerf bars were typically custom bumpers crafted from round stock, chrome plated, and bolted on the front or rear of your rod or custom ... but they were bumpers. Nowadays I hear people using the term to describe the round steps used on the sides of lifted or 4-wheel trucks ... somewhere along the line I missed something.

2. 46mercury

46mercury
    from livonia MI

"Selling it for what I have in it."

"Just like the car on American Pickers"

3. Fenders

Fenders

<NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>I'm a charger that charges through the night
    Like an orange bolt of lightning passing everything in sight
    I'm the best pal that you boys ever had
    I'm thunder on the highway lookin' bad, bad, bad

4. When people refer to a 55,56,or 57 Chevy as a "Trifive" WTF!!!! I hate that,just as much as I hate magazines tryin to start new trends...

5. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

When people will tell you that "it's not a motor, it's an engine. A motor is on electrical piece of equipment like a dvd player. An engine uses gasoline and is a car/truck"

Oh yeah...explain Ford Motor Company, General Motors, and Motor Oil....I guess it should be called Ford Engine Company, General Engines, and Engine Oil?:rolleyes:

6. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

I have some engine oil containers in my garage! :D

7. "No tire kickers" and "No low ballers" do you want to sell your shit or not??

8. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

But people suddenly don't know how to barter or negotiate anymore, even when I list something for sale as OBO they will tell me I am asking too much... okay, then make a counter offer I always reply... and they never do.:rolleyes:

9. Dave50

Dave50

I lost a ENGINE JOB with a old timer cause i said motor not once but twice while talking to him about his ENGINE and he reminded me he didnt have a Electric motor so technically he was right... The Nascar boys blowed there motor in tern 3 and skidded on the oooil lol :D:D:D:D

10. Cutlassboy68

Cutlassboy68
    BANNED
    from Boone, Nc

"I saw one sell like it on Barret Jackson for..." I hang up the phone or just walk away whenever i hear this... I hate Barret Jackson auction...

11. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

I have seen a lot of ads for 55-59 and 60-66 Chev trucks claiming that the Apache model is rare... um... weren't almost all of them Apaches? I also keep seeing ads for Cameos, I go look and it is always a 58-59 Fleetside... If I see an ad i always ask how good the fiberglass is... and once they tell me it's a real Cameo because it has steel rear fenders... I die a little inside.

12. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Here's one I have been getting a lot the last few weeks...

"They don't even make these anymore!" when referring to a vintage car or truck... Well no $hî&#12700;they don't make 35 Fords or 41 Chevrolet's anymore... And people who think that now that Pontiac is dead that all of a sudden the already existing Pontiac's are rare, or worth more...

13. ottoman

ottoman
    from Wisconsin

Mine has to do with crankshafts.... a crankshaft is GROUND.. the material is removed by a large grinding wheel.. they are not TURNED which means the material has been removed by a cutting action.
    When you grind a crank you need UNDERSIZED bearings not oversize!

14. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

At the risk of restarting a previous dispute, I didn't find this mentioned already:
    TV drag race announcers calling iron blocks steel blocks. Apparently they either they don't know the difference, or they think steel sounds cooler than iron.

15. NOT_SO_FAST

NOT_SO_FAST
    from IL

The part that annoys me when browsing CL or the 'bay,is how every old car/truck "would make an excellent rat rod". Does such a thing even exist?

16. william.ali.kay

william.ali.kay
    from Milwaukee

I cant stand hearing "Mint these cars are worth blah blah blah."

17. Don Martin

Don Martin
    from West Tenn

Selling point for most 55-57 chevys in years past was they had a 4.11 gear. Never did that prove true, for me.

18. wanabe28

wanabe28

All the people who think that 'WWW' stands for world wide web, when it actually stands for Wide White Walls. So confusing.

19. ray-jay

ray-jay
    from Buford GA

I always snort when an ad has " good deal! " in the description.

20. Ebay listings ...." Re-Listed .... last winning bidder was a flake" .... the buyer probably bailed for a reason!

21. Cargo

Cargo

Selling a project with a picture of a done car in the ad and something like "These cars look like this when your done". Even worse is the 20K invested! That certainly does not mean it was 20 grand well spent.

22. I hate Tri Five almost as much as I despise "Moredoor". WTF?!?!?! Is four door or fordor so fricken hard to say???? Moredoor!!!!! These dumb assed terms are the mark of the true D-Bag

23. Cargo

Cargo

Ooh, almost forgot my pet peeve, "Serious buyers only", I have no idea if I'm serious until I look the car over.
    Also making me an offer on the phone when I am selling something, I always come back with "You haven't seen the car and I haven't seen the money"!

24. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Has anyone mentioned flat six for flathead six?

Porsche, Corvair, and Subaru feature flat sixes. Most low priced cars before 1955 had flathead sixes.

This is for the green as a gourd crowd. If you can tell a Porsche 911 from a 1950 Studebaker, now you know which one has a flat six and which one has a flathead six.

For some reason they never call a flathead Ford a flat eight. Wonder why that is.

25. DrJ

DrJ

How about "frame off restoration" on a uni-body car that doesn't even have a subframe like Camaros do.

Buy it now, (for way too much money) before its scrapped!... Yea, right...

"Two door hardtop!" and it's a two door post sedan... Yea, the roof is hard, (except where it's rusted through...)

26. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I dislike the pecker-heads selling 1958 Chevy poverty caps as C3 Corvette caps and selling the set for $400. The same is true for later model dog dishes as well, I didn't know they sold so many COPO 427 Camaros...

Death to speculators, you are parasites....

27. Energy

Energy

Thanks a lot man! I just shorted out my keyboard when I read that.

:D

(note to self- doant red HAMB rants whill drinking!)

28. One that is done to death on this very website, so egregious that it is as annoying as those "Let Me Tell You About My Grandchildren" license plates and crying dolls.

It's those of you who have to sell your thread topic because deep down in that geeky little heart of yours, you know that your subject is LAME!

Just look around the pages and you will see what I mean, there is so much to talk about yet most of it has nothing to do with traditional hot rods or customs. In order to read something worthwhile around here you have to reverse an old saying to this: &#8220;You have to sift through a lot of fly shit to get the pepper.&#8221;

Well and truly I wish the RRT would come back so you people would have some place to go.

29. afaulk

afaulk

Lots of patina=rusted/wrecked --- Just needs a little TLC (and new floors/engine and trans) Surface rust (just a few bubbles in quarters, rockers, doors and fenders) No bondo except in ------- Ran when parked (parked because engine was knocking and transmission slipping)

30. And yet, here you are, posting your thoughts on the very type of thread that you, so vehemently, dislike.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.