Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need help I.D.'n an old light

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Trumped, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Trumped

Trumped

Hi Gang,
    I'm working on an estate sale and have been finding some cool stuff in the garage. I dug this out of a box and don't have a clue what it's from. Does anybody want to take a guess. It seems very automotive to me but I just can't figure it out. Who used the omega symbol? It is made of cast aluminum, measures almost 6" in width, has a duel lead socket with a single filament MAZDA bulb rated 12-16 volts. It almost looks like a license plate light but I think that it was used on the interior because of the finish. Can anybody I.D. this thing and put me out of my misery!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Looks like a wall sconce from a high end trailer.

3. Doesn't look automotive to me.

4. .... and point the horse shoe up or all your luck will run out

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I think PnB is on to something here! The symbol is the "Omega", I believe. That may have something to do with the brand name of the contraption on which it was used...........then again, maybe not.......

Ray

6. continuety light on a really big old ohm meter? (more fun than just a plain bump)

7. Trumped

Trumped

Yes, the Omega symbol should be a good clue, but I have not been able to figure it out. I agree that it could be from a trailer or maybe boat, aircraft, etc. I figured with the collective knowledge here on the HAMB someone will figure it out.

8. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

Could it possibly be a light for the tuning dial of an antique radio? Seems if it was automotive, the base of the bulb would be grounded through the casting itself, and have only one lead. On the other hand, the antique radio cabinets were typically made of wood, and would require both leads for the circuit. Keep in mind, this is only a wild guess from someone who really doesn't know what the heck you've got there.

9. Stukka

Stukka
    from SoCal

Could be Omega boats. I remember cabin cruisers and sailboats with that symbol on them. That would have been in the 70's in your neck of the woods Trumped, Long Beach.

10. BJR

BJR

How about old railroad passenger car, does anyone know if they were 12 volt?

11. Theater wall sconce. Upside down.

12. pastlane

pastlane

One of the people at work was using their iphone & doing reverse image searches online. have you tried that? They were turning up all sorts of information that a word search never found

13. Trumped

Trumped

How do you do that? I'm interested

14. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

As pictured here by the OP, the Omega sign is oriented properly, suggesting to me that this is the correct position for it's intended use.

Could be wrong about that........

Ray

15. Or theater seat row lighting...Omega Theaters..?

16. k32t

k32t
    from Hog town

is that like an old idea