Register now to get rid of these ads!

great lakes drag way union grove wi. pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Domiracer66

Domiracer66
    from The Mil

Sure thing Bob... I'll dig though my fathers archives and see what else I can find... Stay tuned

2. 53studebaker

53studebaker
    from WI

thanks for sharing great pics

3. mike hohnstein

mike hohnstein
    BANNED
    from wisconsin

can't remember seeing a 64 plymouth wagon, stellar looking tow rig.

4. My HAMB Birth year which happens to be my accelerated age of my spine??? Hahaha...

Can you post the photo's of Stan in his Roadster?

5. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

next group

Attached Files:

quick85 and Kent like this.
  6. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

thanks guys for posting all these! bringing back alot of memories, we use to race there when we could.

7. anyone have any pics of a green 39 ford 2 door sedan with a gold roof rear axle moved forward
    was a record holder in the late sixtys early seventys with a flatty then a sbc
    just bought it and will start a thread about it
    tk

8. I was there the last time Lazarus Palmer raced his Willy's and short time later he was racing a 56 Chevy.

I got to know him when he was racing a 69 Nova that he'd drive to the track and then he'd change the carb, slicks, and uncorked the headers... run 10's and drive it home.

Attached Files:

9. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Post #65 with the Ranchero... check out the chopped '53/54 Chevy wagon in the background!

10. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

Dam COOL Nova !!! I've heard that the "Sparticus" 64 Dodge was originally one of the two original Mr Norms super stock race cars as in the attached photo. Do you know anything about this?

Attached Files:

11. that photo was taken at us 30. i have the race on video. there was just a mopar mag that just did a feature on that car. i believe it was the hustler originaly. the branded 64 may have been also. i havent talked to the owner in a while. that spatacas car crashed big time at the grove. i was on the return road when it happened. i have some pics of it. chris told me they had to cut the car off at the firewall. what a sad ending to all that aluminum.

12. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

tonites group

Attached Files:

quick85 likes this.
  13. Django

Django
    from Chicago

That '66 chevelle is awesome.

14. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

I'd like to see those pictures! Chris told be it cost $50,000 to replace the front end.

15. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

[​IMG]

This was Sparticus when it was a Norms car. The car was an automatic from the factory but Pat Minick had Norm change it a 4 speed. It only ran a couple of times with Minick at the wheel then he had a falling out with Norm. As I understand it ran for half a season till Mr. Norm got the AWB car and this one was sold. The automatic was put back in at some point and Al DeSalvo raced it with the push button shifter. We got a copy of this picture from Minick when I helped out Bendi the Stroke reletter the Chi Town Hustler.

16. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

Couple more shots from 1978

"GOLIATH"
    [​IMG]

"HOGSLAYER"
    [​IMG]

17. sad thing is the car could have not been damaged at all if it had a diaper. i was right there when it let go. the tires got oiled and chris did a good job to not damage it further. pete ores from kenosha gave me pics of the crash. i cant post them here without his permission. i will call him tonight to see if i can get the go ahead to post them. al and chris were very good to me when i was just starting out with my 64 sport fury teaching me the ropes. al will be missed

18. McDeuce

McDeuce

I can remeber racing at The Grove in the 70's. We would tune on Saturday, sleep in the cars or if nice outside, race on Sunday. It was a wild time. Bob booked every kind of event possible from bikes, to funnys , to jets.

19. Holy smoke, those were cool images. Those shots of the Flying Dutchman were appreciated!

20. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

Thanks BigNick, Thats the info I was looking for. Gary Dyer came along about the time Minick left. Norm told me that Minick always had excuses and Dyer just got it done.

21. The picture was from US 30 Dragstrip...

Had the Mopar thing at GLD as well and I had photo's from the tower in 66(?)
    which I think were tossed when I went into the service in 75'...

50John likes this.
  22. did sparticus ever get rebuilt after i got in the wall hard a few years back? or was it the son of sparticus 64 plymouth that hit the wall

23. it was als son chris driving the 64 dodge (spartucas) that crashed. it has been restored back to the hustler. its now owned by denny guest. he owns several cool mopars and owns a dodge dealership in chicago.

24. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

My Falcon, "The Green Slime" raced there a lot back in the day.

25. cougarmike

cougarmike

I was fortunate enough to be able to buy an historic Great Lakes Dragaway car that ran from 1960 to 1970. The Cheetah, a 55 mercury monterey Driven by Ron Ritter. Mr Ritter gave me his scrapbook and a cool video of it running in 1970.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlU6UFvOJrw

Im not sure how to post pics on here, so HELP!! apparently I have a loose nut behind my keyboard.

I would LOVE to see any pictures anyone has of teh Cheetah, and hear any stories from anyone who remembers the car.

26. cougarmike

cougarmike

27. cougarmike

cougarmike

28. cougarmike

cougarmike