Register now to get rid of these ads!

Great Oregon Racers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gary Reynolds, Jan 17, 2012.

1. I see my thread is full of bad links now, and THANKS PHOTOBUCKET for holding MY images hostage!
    This thread is dedicated to GREAT OREGON RACERS!
    This car put us on the map!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  2. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

Man that's a great looking car!

Kan Kustom likes this.
  3. The late Action Man, Kenney Goodell

[​IMG]

4. jangleguy

jangleguy

Somebody call Al Drake, so we can start from the beginning...

Atwater Mike likes this.

5. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

I'll be watching this one.

Does anyone remember the blue homeyers cleaners willys? Driven by a gentleman named Erwin. If anybody has any pics of the car from back in the day, I'd love to see them. The car now belongs to a friend/club member and I'm sure he'd love it if we found some pics he hasn't seen before.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. One of Gary Coe's Gunfighters!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
    chryslerfan55 and Ranchero59 like this.
  7. I sure don't! Did they race at Woodburn? What years?

8. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Yes woodburn for sure. I'd have to ask to get the story on what years he raced. I know it was a winning car, he's got dozens and dozens of the trophies that came with the it. I'll ask him.

chryslerfan55 and victorialynn2 like this.
  9. Well to add to the list:: From Eugene/Springfield area, Paul Welborn and Larry Paine Ardun Dragster, , Doc Buffington, Joe Johnson, Ted Kelm, Joe Mock, The Weaver Bros, Jerry Russell, Bob McCutchn, Corde Jensen, Vic Morris, Paul Smith, Al May, Dave Pruitt, Glen Larsen, most raced at Balboa Raceway in Eugene but all of us went up and down OR-CA-WA. Will add to the list as I remember them, I bought 2 of my Cheys from Bob Cochran's Auto Sales in Glenwood. Several of us ran out of "Vans Auto Truck Repair" in Springfield. Another one, Tom Dooley. The tool box shown on my "Vintage Tool Box" thread is the one I used/worked out of in 60 thru early 63 while working for Van.
    Another one was Bob McCutchn, owned Specialty Automotive in Eugene and run a fuel FED, still involved in racing altho the speed shop is long gone, bought tons of stuff from him. Most of it went to Alaska for my Vettes and Hemi A990 Dodge.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  10. fireman 55

fireman 55

IT may not be as old as what the pics are showing but im trying to find what happened to the severely disabled chicken coupe that ran at woodburn piloted by Doc lavender. Its a car i remember watching growing up.

11. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Great shot of Kenney, my best memory of him was in 1992, I gave him his only oval track racing experience. It was at Portland Speedway, I put him in a brand new 34 Ford coupe Dwarf Car for a celebrity race, he won the race handily! He was a good guy, we miss him.

chryslerfan55 and alanp561 like this.
  12. How about:
    The great Bill Ireland
    The great Ernie Hall
    Ken Van Cleave
    Gary Parham

Come on webfoots!

13. Twig Zeigler!!!

[​IMG]

chryslerfan55 and Kan Kustom like this.
  14. And Bob Tindell (sp), Everett Hatch, Gary Wilson.

15. Long, long time racer Marv Buchanan.
    Marv was my cousin and a great guy! I'm glad he finally won a Wally!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
    Dharrell and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. 53Hattie

53Hattie

Butch Hoagland [sp] from Bend, in his '63 Belvedere wedge cross ram "Yosemite Sam", did well at the WinterNats one year, and I seem to recollect he was occasionally a nemesis for Ireland and his T-Bolts. Sorry, no photos, last I heard he owned a salvage yard over on the coast.

17. Vic Mclosky.
    Anyone remenber the Scotty's Drive In AA/FD?

18. Ringer & Sounders
    [​IMG]

19. RDR

RDR

last time I saw Doc Lavenders' "Severly Disabled Chicken Coupe", it was in the NHRA Museum at Pomona a few years ago....not sure if it wasn't donated to the museum...

20. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

I have never had much respect for Oregon drag racing.
    I'm not from Oregon and never have been BUT, in 1954 whoever was promoting the Scapoose drag strip personally invited my partner and I to bring this car down from Seattle and run against the best Oregon could muster up at the time...He said he heard we held a few records and we would be welcome. We went down and beat everyone that showed up including Herschel McGriff's NASCAR car. We broke every record they had at the time also.
    Then when payoff time came, the promoter said no tow money for us and no trophy because we were from out of state.
    We spit in his face and left......PTOOOEY!
    He had a couple cops there at the time so beating the crap out of him was not an option.
    I heard someone he screwed on some parts caught him in a dark alley sometime later and he did a couple months in the hospital.....

Attached Files:

21. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Just curious since I lived in Medford and sold performance for Thrift Auto Supply about the time I left for Sacramento they were trying to get the Strip in Medford.A couple years ago a lot of us on the HAMB were trying to help save it,what was the outcome?

22. Jeeez! An dishonest strip manager in the early days?
    Come on, it was 57 years ago!

23. miraclepieco

miraclepieco
    BANNED

Wasn't Ed McCulloch originally from Oregon?

Didn't Twig Ziegler also own the world famous "Orange Crate?"

24. Ed was originaly from California, but made his name in Oregon.
    He was known as THE driver at Woodburn.
    Hence the Whipple-McCulloch Duster pic.
    Bob Tindle owned the Orange Crate, the car was around for years before it was turned into the version you know. It actually raced at least once at McMinnvile in the commonly known (Revel model) configuration.
    Twig was the engine builder at Colletti Chrysler Plymouth in Hillsboro.

25. Bill Ireland was a Portland fireman and part of the original Ford factory drag team. He ran T-bolts, this A/FX Mustang and was an earlt Pro Stock racer.[​IMG]

chryslerfan55 and 30ARoadster like this.
  26. Bill's ThunderBolt!
    if anyone has a pic of his 66-67 Fairlane SS/B, I'd love to see it!
    [​IMG]

27. Do I count? lol
    I grew up at Woodburn Dragstrip. My grandpa, dad, and uncle's raced the 55 threw the late 70's and 80's. Then when it was my turn I jumped into the seat. These pictures were taken at the Oldies but Goodies drags.

Attached Files:

28. Doc is a thread of his own and much later than this thread. I sponsored him as much as I could as did many others.
    everytime he called me up he said "he was the shortest guy I know." I miss that little bugger.

29. After Doc died Judy sent it to the NHRA Museum, A couple years ago I saw she had it back and was trying to get a group of disabled high school kids on the track.