Register now to get rid of these ads!

SBC starter support bracket ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RICH B, Jan 17, 2012.

1. A while back I went to put the front brace on the starter on the 327. I found that it did not fit and that the starter casting locates the starter
    rotated a few degrees from what I would call normal. This places it lower and closer to the engine and the brace ends up too short. The starter engages and functions normally. This is a '62 327 with later T350 transmission. Same trans, flywheel, and starter were on a 283 when I first bought the car.

Are there any other braces made? Must be some oddball starter, I have 5 or 6 other braces in my parts boxes; but they are all the same. Probably will end up cutting and splice two together; but was just curious if anybody else came across this.

Attached Files:

2. Don't Care

Don't Care
    BANNED
    from Kentucky

Never use them, never had one break even some real high compression ones

3. Had a similar problem on my son's 302 Z-28 motor....ended up making one that fit.

4. Probably need to use a later model support, like say from a '76 truck?

I am going to gusess that it is a combo of early and late pieces that are causing your problem.

I would just weld up a piced if it were me, a little paint and your done.

5. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

The problem is due to the fact that most 153 tooth starters did not use a brace from the factory..
    the pics tell the story, your starter has the straight across mounting bolts =153 tooth...
    168 tooth flywheel is larger OD so the starter moves away from the pan rail..
    your brace is for 168 tooth starter.
    Dave

Bandit Billy and belair like this.
  6. I was not aware the 153's never had a support bracket. That explains why I had to make one up for my application. I just made one out of two ... little cutting, little welding ... fits great. I guess it probably isn't needed if GM didn't bother originally.

7. Bingo! I ran into the same dliema years ago. Today, I feel that the brace is a good idea, although I must have thrown out or re-purposed a 55-gallon drum worth of them in the past.

Bob

belair likes this.
  8. belle

belle

are you sure that a 153 tooth starter did not come with a brace? i'm sure i have seen many of them. and i have one on 3 of my cars with that starter

i always use them , even though i'm not certain it is needed.

anyway , the answer is to cut and weld as you said

9. jimvette59

jimvette59

I thought they were for the earlier three bolt starters. But what do I know I am just an old timer.

10. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

I've had sbc starters break at the nose and also had a block develop a crack at the starter bolt hole. Not sure if either case could have been avoided with a brace or not. Probably a good idea to run one when possible.

11. jimvette59

jimvette59

Hey Mike what year bell housings ? Were they three bolt ? I have one busted on a two bolt that I welded and has be working for 20 years, it doesn't have a bracket. The other is on my 3 bolt 59 corvette and that doesn't have a bracket. Go figure!!!!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  12. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

The problem with not using the front brace is, if you hook up a remote starter and WATCH what the starter does when you crank the engine without the brace, you'll see why the brace is intended to be there in the first place.

13. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I believe BBC's have a different brace than a SBC's.. Maybe you have a BBC brace.......

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  14. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

They were both on automatic equipped cars, and if I remember right they were both 2 bolt. I ended up having to have a stud welded in the block where it cracked. That "fixed" the problem.

15. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

The key word you missed was the 9th one.

16. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

I think 305 is different?

17. So that's what that was for :eek:, I tossed one on the back shelf a years or so ago and never gave it a thought, might have a go and see if I can find it now. :D

18. WDobos

WDobos

There was more than one GM product that uses a brace on the front of the starter. I know that Cadillac 425,472,500s all use that brace. It's a good part to install,seen several Cadillac starters break because the brace was left off. You may have the wrong brace for your setup

19. fogs58

fogs58
    from ooo

I've replaced more than a couple of starters with broken nose cones over the last 30 plus years with no support bracket. I'd make one if thats what it takes. Cheap insurance. My $.02

deucemac likes this.
  20. GM #354353 for the longer brace (straight bolt pattern starter) 153t.
    GM #3965589 For the shorter brace (staggered bolt pattern starter) 164t.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
    36-3window, pat59 and TagMan like this.
  21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I've never even seen one.

22. wutnxt

wutnxt

Had the same problem. Made my own from a piece of 1" angle

23. ZAPPER68

ZAPPER68
    from BC

There is a very good reason why The General installed starter braces on sbc's and bbc's. I have always used them and never had an issue with starter breakage.

24. old thread , but still good to know....thanks for posting the part numbers. i believe in using the brace

i see that both Jegs and Summit stock both part numbers

25. My auto shop teacher (many years ago) told me the brace keeps the starter from moving around on the block that leads to loosened bolts, broken starters and blocks. Almost every Chevy I work on has had them removed and the starters grind like hell.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  26. Dan

Dan

On the same topic, kinda-
    Isn't there a way to measure across the flexplate on a sbc to determine the tooth count? In other words xx" across = xx teeth and xx" across = xx teeth??
    thanks-

27. sunbeam

sunbeam

Car companies usually don't spend money for things that they don't think are needed

TagMan likes this.
  28. a 153 tooth flexplate is 12-3/4" diameter , a 168 tooth 14"

29. Dan

Dan

Cool, thanks-
    168 takes the angled bolt starter and the 153 uses the straight across bolt starter, is that right??

Artfrombama likes this.
  30. Here ya go, 153/12.75=12 and 168/14=12 So they both have 12 teeth per inch diameter. :) (/ = divided by)