Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone know how to git rid of spiders?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toqwik, Jan 16, 2012.

1. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

i'll acount for the hedge apples they work ! we have a tree down the road in the ditch i get em from ! just set the whole apple around and they do the trick

2. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

We used to have a big spider problem in our 3 car attached garage in a brand new house with a very clean shop. The garage was also used as the main entrance to the house and we have small kids and my wife was on me about it. I started collecting one of each kind as a kind of science expirement before it was a "problem" to me then I found out I had 3 out of 4 of Arkansas' venemous spiders I started thinking it was time to do something. Research told me the regular pesticides do nothing because they walk over it and don't get it on their bodies like other bugs. Sticky traps is what the pros recommended...used those with some success. Then we got a regular exterminator and as the bugs went away the spider numbers drastically decreased. Kill the bugs, they have nothing to eat and move out.

Nice spider story in the aforementioned garage, my wife still almost gags to this day remembering it...I was working in the garage, she was walking through and screamed. In the middle of the floor was a giant spider (3-4") with what looked like fur all over it's back. I grabbed a cup and went to trap the spider but it moved...then the fur (millions of babies) jumped off it's back and started to cover the floor and I realized it was a mother wolf spider. The wife is screaming, boy is laughing and I'm thinking great I'm going to now have millions of giant spiders in my garage, what to do next? I grabbed a can of carburetor cleaner and blasted about a 6' area until there was no movement. As things were calming down, the dad wolf spider snuck up behind my wife and we repeated the chaos until he was dead too. Good times :eek:

Then there was the time during a hard rain in the dark I grabbed the mail and brought it into the car window only to discover it was covered in millions of baby spiders so I did the only logical thing, jumped out in the rain and threw all the mail on the ground and tried to brush them all off. Again, wife and kids screaming and laughing. Opened the mailbox the next morning and there was a bucket full of baby spiders in there. Don't know what the deal is with Arkansas but there seem to be alot less here in Missouri!

3. OldTC

OldTC

The sticky boxes from Lowes and goodness knows where else work,.....just fold them into a box and set them around the exterior of the cab,....hell, I found a snake stuck in one behind my television one time. The stuff is like fly strips, stickyr'en than hell.

4. Dirk35

Dirk35

Hairspray and a lighter is a horrible idea....leaves a sticky mess after the carnage.

However, I do suggest Lysol and a lighter (use one of those lighters for a BBQ so youll keep the hair on your hands). I like the Mountain Rain scent and it just wipes right up. Win-win!

5. You could just drive it daily! As for the fruit, that looks like the last girl that slid across the seat wasn't wearing panties and had a nasty yeast infection:D

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  6. burnout2614

burnout2614

Seriously I use my shop vac and suck em up once a month. My shop is long-leg spider central. Sticky traps definitely work. I WILL try the osage orange. peace

7. http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/cyper-wp-p-228.html

Cyper WP. This is the only thing I've found that kills black widows. I had quite a few in my hangar and shed. This stuff gets everything and keeps killing for several months. After the first application you'll have a lot of carcasses to clean up.

8. 37willysgasser

37willysgasser

flea foggers work

9. Be especially aware if you have brown recluse spiders. They like places such as garages and attics to hang out in. The bite from those can be devastating and sometimes in the flesh-eating realm. So look at some pix of those (should be a spider wanted poster somewhere online) to see if you have them.

I was outside early in the morning a few years back and got mixed up with a large furry reddish-brown spider that hung a web between a bush and my pool ladder. I didn't know I was bit initially... had to dive into the pool to get the web off me.

About 8 hours later, I had this raised welt over one eye the size of a 1/2 dollar. I went to my doctor, got a tetanus as well as a steriod shot and 10 days on antibiotics. It took like 3 months for the welt to completely go away.

Bob

10. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

I have to deal with spiders for pest control at work. You can spray with the right chemical and concentration ratio and it will wipe them out although I don't recommend it in the vehicle. I spray my garage on the baseplate and around the outside and usually gets rid of them. Also a good quality sticky trap works the best. They should be placed around the edges of garage on the floor. We trap brown recluse spiders all the time and I have never been bitten. It depends on the person if they have a reaction to it. I would recommend sticky traps.

11. DuckusCrapus

DuckusCrapus

Sticky traps are the only thing that gets mine, but in the summer I have tons of brown recluse spiders.

DC

12. Fopelaez

Fopelaez

Can you use your car more often?

13. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Posting in spider thread to say I hate spiders.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  14. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

These really work, but my main problem is Spider Crickets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. hanging around outside my garage...

Attached Files:

16. Roll up the windows, open a door, spray the hell out of the interior with one of the better smelling bug sprays, close door, let sit for a couple days!

17. That looks like the critter that muckled onto me a few years back....

Bob

18. This thread gives me a bad case of the heebee-jeebees. :eek:

Maybe 6 months of winter and the occasional Daddy longlegs isn't such a bad thing.

19. Pop-Rodder

Pop-Rodder

Keep a couple garter snakes in your car, they eat spiders and they're non poisonous

20. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Take your stuff outta the garage. Burn the garage to eliminate arachnid life forms. Build bigger-better spider proof garage.
    A friend and myself went to a barn to liberate a 40 Chevy. I told the guy we'd be back the next day. Sprayed the daylights outta the car. Home big box has bug bombs $5 fer three. We used 18 of em. Some in the car some under, all directed at the car.
    Mass Murder ensued. The barn owner laughed at us and when we went back he told us he'd been meaning to do that for years. Didnt knock any price off though.

21. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

I used bug bombs I got at the grocery store. I bombed the garage twice and killed all of the black widows. At my new house I haven't seen any in house or garage but they are outside. Don't make the mistake I did and watch them for awhile. If you see them, kill them because they make lots of babies!

Attached Files:

22. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

Oh yeah, black widows come out at night. If you're out mowing and come across a really nasty, strong web, usually low, check it out at night. There may be a widow there. That is if you live in an area where they're found.

23. oddrod46

oddrod46
    from Georgia

Mothballs under the seat!

24. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

whats wrong with spiders? :rolleyes:

25. Exactly or as he said hedge apples to answer someone else's question. It is the fruit of the hedge tree. Spiders hate them. But they do attract squirrels, so if you don't want your goofy cousin hangin' around that is not a good solution.

There actually used to be an add in the farmers almanac for them. Just to get rid of spiders.

26. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Had a surprise one day getting into my old Austin gasser. A spider slowly dropped down from the headliner right in front of my face. I grabbed something and smashed him, then looked up to see the hinge area for my tilt windshield covered with baby spiders.
    I went back in the house and got the insect spray and blasted them. Then I sprayed into the opening around the hinges up into the headliner. I occasionally spray around the tires and undercarriage to prevent them from wanting to return, and so far I've had no more spiders.

27. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

Will a bug bomb screw up the paint on your car???

28. 28TUDOR

28TUDOR

I use a poison called Viper that I get from the local Co-Op. It's kinda pricey but it works good for me. I spray about twice a year.

29. dinokruzordinance

dinokruzordinance

I dragged an 1948 chevy pickup from a farmers field bought for $125. When I pulled it off my trailer at 2am a strange spider exdous began to occur. At first a couple spiders here and there appeared ....no big deal I thought.....as the are important in controlling insects. But then a migration of sorts beganand hundreds of spiders began pouring out. I started stomping at this point like was at a hillbilly hoedown. My neighbor would have had to.laugh if he saw me in the moonlight with.this.old truck stomping and dancing.
    I told the wife you wouldnt.believe.....etc and she said..."...Great! Now those damn cornfed spiders will mix with our city spiders and make Superspiders....." She wouldnt go in the backyard fir a week.

My spiders were a bunch.of different colors and sizes but the white ones.kinda glowed in the moonlite in a creepy 60s scifi way.

30. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Home Defense get it at Wally World, Home Depot etc. spray around door openings, sills, inside on floor, under seats, shit lasts about 8 months. Says on label you can spray in your kitchen cabinets so it can't be too bad for ya.

I hate spiders !