Register now to get rid of these ads!

I want to see pics of the motor in your 49-54 chevy(car)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48buickkid, Jan 15, 2012.

1. klutchmaster427

klutchmaster427

Nice work. Especially love that firewall!

2. 48buickkid

48buickkid

Nice lots of finned goodies in there gotta ask though how much clearance do you have for the distributor and is the original firewall cut in any way?

3. Cruiser

Cruiser

No, the firewall isn't cut up at all. First, I filled all the holes in the firewall and made sure things were flat. Then, I just trimmed the center two braces, made panels and had them prowler coated. The distributor has a 1/4 inch clearance comes in and out with ease. I got lucky when making the panels the distributor was off and I guessed at the clearance. There's another 3 1/2 inches to raise the panel above if needed. :D

CRUISER :cool:

4. 48buickkid

48buickkid

Never realized how well a small block would fit in these. Then again its what a lot of guys do so it cant be too bad. Whats the rest of that fine machine look like? Based on the work you did bet there are some fine points!

5. my 53 is gettin a 303 olds with a lasalle 3 speed.

Attached Files:

• 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      457.7 KB
      Views:
    • 010.jpg
      010.jpg
      File size:
      486.5 KB
      Views:
  6. 48buickkid

48buickkid

Hell yea this kinda of swap and the nailhead from earlier are what I was really looking forward to. That is a pretty wicked looking setup my man and a real lasalle trans to boot. If I had to judge by wheels and intake are you going for a gasser/strip style build?
    Are those halibrands or a different but similar wheel?

7. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

368 Caddy Motor and turbo 400 trans
    Firewall recessed 4 inches inner body brace cut back, trans tunnel raised and widened. Custom motor mounts and tranny/crossmember cut and remade.
    Hardness scale 1-10 about a 6

MrC.

Attached Files:

8. Oldcarlover66

Oldcarlover66
    from Aiken, SC

I know you said no SBC unless somewhat dressy. I think my '54 Bel Air is pretty dressed up. Filled Firewall, Vintage Air, Flaming River mated to original steering box, 350 with HEI, 700R4, Dash with A/C vents, Aluminum radiator, All new wiring, etc.

Attached Files:

9. blown348

blown348
    from Finland

"early" chevy big block, w348 stroked to 427cid w/ original frontend and steering.
    [​IMG]

10. 48buickkid

48buickkid

I had to look that motor up i thought after the 472-500s they just switched to a new engine family. Does everything off a 472-500 fit a 368?

11. 48buickkid

48buickkid

Now that would be a small block chevy I could live with! Very clean install too, lots of finned,polished and chrome goodies!

12. 48buickkid

48buickkid

Not only is a w series but its in finland? wow man props to you for owning an American classic over there. I have yet to meet many people that don't instantly lop these into the "those were truck motors" category. Except the late 50s early 60s stock and nostalgia drag guys. Finned valve covers and dual quads make it that much nicer. At 427 cubes its quite a beast. Love the fact that 348s can become basically the same as the 409s as long as they aren't the truck motor lol those have a relief near the top of the bore if I'm not mistaken hurts compression slightly.

13. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

14. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Yes Im told it using alot of the same parts, its the smallest version of that block, notice how wide it is , the intake is almost 2 feet wide by itself.
    MrC.

its an 1983 commercial v-8 from a hearse
    I had it so I used it. ( hot Rodding )
    MrC.

Attached Files:

15. 48buickkid

48buickkid

Nothing wrong with that and the fact that its from a hearse is a plus also very babied and well taken care of probably low mileage even.;)

16. ArtofHotRod

ArtofHotRod

[​IMG]

Working on this with my BIL ...............

17. Shadetree

Shadetree
    from Va USA

Here are some pics of my 51 coupes triple carbed 235 stovebolt.
    I got a 69 350 on the engine stand, but I just cant bring myself to yank my 6banger.

Attached Files:

18. todztoyz

todztoyz

True... I had forgot that.

19. cederholm

cederholm

Don't do it!!!! The inline gods will not approve!!:eek:

~ Carl

20. 48buickkid

48buickkid

I could see yanking it if it were a stocker but man thats a sweet looking inline bet it has some nut too!

21. 4doorsRfun2

4doorsRfun2

Here you go:

Attached Files:

22. 48buickkid

48buickkid

That is a nice looking inline too, I never realized how many people kept am inline in them. Most of the ones I've seen at local shows are sbc powered.

23. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Don't trust this guy, he will buy this from you and then say you didn't ship it in order to try and get it off of you for free. A total liar. He will pretend that everything is fine to your face and then turn around and stab you in the back when you arent looking.

24. 4doorsRfun2

4doorsRfun2

Thanks, I originally wanted to keep the 6 to try to keep costs down (didn't have to replace the 3 spd., the torque tube and rear end) and to have something a little bit different, in my area just about everything has a SBC of some sort, but I'm learning on the H.A.M.B. that the 6 is not so different. It has been a lot of fun rebuilding and hopping it up, lot of part support out there for these motors..who knew?

25. klutchmaster427

klutchmaster427

Yea I was amazed at parts availability when I started looking into it. A little pricey but if you are patient there's lots of real affordable used hop-up parts. Gotta love the 6!

26. Heebster

Heebster
    from Salinas

Here is my 49 with 324 OLDs. I ran it in Bonneville.

Attached Files:

27. Joe_G

Joe_G
    from UK

Here's the one in my '49

[​IMG]

28. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

this was an early shot of some metal fab i was doing in my 54

[​IMG]

29. flyingpiston53

flyingpiston53
    from bristol ri

59 261 itd be nice if it ran worth a damn can't get that intake setup to run right but it looks good I'm thinking about going with three rochesters anybody have good luck with those?

Attached Files:

30. Madsci

Madsci
    from Canada

Yes its an LS motor..............

Attached Files: