Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My glass 34 tudor build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BIG-JIM, Nov 27, 2011.

1. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

build on , so what if its glass , not everyone can find or afford real steel , heck its cool that it was a previous project and your giving it a finish , keep posting photos , i like it

2. Law Dog

Law Dog

Nice build picts. No need to justify/explain anything to us. Enjoy the process and enjoy the car with your family. Thanks for posting.

3. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback. I figured I'd post my craigslist score of the week. I picked up a stock hood in almost NOS shape. It was shot with walnut shells & it was put in primer with a guide coat for final bodywork. Now for the bad news. UPS banged it around pretty good & put a dent in it for me because it was too perfect....:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And now after ups got a hold of it.
    [​IMG]

4. redroaddog

redroaddog

jim the hood looks nice !!! read ur post about glass cars don't sweat it glass cars can be cool, i prefer glass fenders so when some dick runs into me i don't go to jail for removing his family jewels lol keep up the good work

5. Fordtudor37

Fordtudor37

Nice car Jim, keeping the family involved keeps a family together. Good luck with it !

6. ThompsonSpeed

ThompsonSpeed

Thats awesome how your whole family lends a hand! Great job!

7. Hey that's cool! Especially since ya got the whole family involved. Glass cars are great and affordable (by comparison) and ya don't have to explain to anyone!!

8. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Way cool. Two thumbs up also :D

9. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Thanks everyone. I should have an update soon. Been busy with life. Funny how even small things can cut into your car time. I have been working on it; just slow going. With the help of a fellow HAMBER; I've been working on an addition to my home. A byproduct of the addition is a large garage.:rolleyes: So I put off working on the car in order to get that going. We will be back at it soon enough though. Till then thanks for all the support.

10. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Nice start Jim, and I agree that glass is no problem. These days you either gotta pay a fortune for a completed car and hope it's as good under the shiney paint as it looks or spend the next 10 years of your spare time repairing a total rust bucket, if you have the skills. Or you can go with glass or repro steel, which is high dollar.(the steel)
    I'm 74 and when I started my current project 4 yrs, ago I had a stock '33 Ford frame and planned to go with a glass 33/34 tudor body. Just didn't think I had it in me to repair the bodies I saw for sale @ swap meets, either in energy, or ability on the metal work.
    But I found a deal on a rolling chassis Brookville '31 "A" roadster with a lot of extra work and parts added to it. Been piddling along now for 4 years, nearly through, and hoping to be ready for riding when the weather warms up. Don't get discouraged when it seems like for every step forward, you stumble back 2. Get something done every day, don't do as I have at times and get discouraged, and stop working.
    Dave

11. Looks great.......I look forward to seeing you and the family at one of the local Ct. meets soon.

12. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

My favorite year and body style :)):rolleyes:)
    Keep us posted....

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Excellent build you got going and kudo's for the family being involved. I'll never get the hatred towards 'glass cars. But then, I don't really care.

14. TexasDart

TexasDart

Looks great....kinda like the looks of it with the Keystone classics.

15. Ron Mayes

Ron Mayes

16. daddio211

daddio211

Just remember when someone starts bitching about your "fiberglass car", ask them to show you THEIR steel '34 Tudor that THEY built with their family! Most who cast stones have nothing to show for themselves.

17. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

I couldn't have said it better myself. Thanks man.

18. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Kinda going with as close to stock looking (on the outside) as I can so the Keystones wont work. Just think how nice it will look with wires & wide whites.;)

19. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Me either! When I hit the go pedal & it sets the family back in their seats & that smile gets plastered on all our faces; I wouldn't care if the car was made of wood! It's ours and it "WILL" be a blast to drive. It's been ten long years since I gave up my rod for my family & we went to go look at a 40 Chevy for sale locally. I will never forget the look on my daughters face when the guy took her & the wife for a ride in it. All she did was talk about that car all the way home. We wound up getting the 34 instead and I can't wait for that look again because it will be like looking in a mirror. Because I'm going to have that same look on my face. And thanks to all you guys for the encouragement. It means the world to me.

20. Big Jim, sorry i hadnt seen this before now. Im glad you started a thread so i can watch it come together.
    As everyones already said, your family and you all win with this deal. Great stuff.
    Im not a glass hater, as i own a glass bucket body, and i love the chop on your car. As for the wart, :D i recon its cool, will make the car diffrent from others, and serves an excellant purpose.

21. hotcargo

hotcargo

Howdy Big Jim ,

fantastic stuff mate ,

( Ron Weeks had that tuff lookin' Tudor with a trunk in the '70's " that was mentioned before , try an get a pic of it )

Steve in Oz

22. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Well this is pretty much the look we are shooin for in Dearborn blue and I think we are going with black fenders. Only difference is mine is going to have the greyhound cap, radials, a grill guard, amber fog lights, dual wipers and a crank hole cover.
    [​IMG]
    And from the back.
    [​IMG]
    Not sure about the spare tire cover but it will have the spare. I've been gathering a ton of parts so when I do finally get at it I wont be held up waiting on parts.

Here's some shots of a 33 that was on the bay a couple of weeks ago. Kind of a kool looking car but to me its begging for wide whites. But I wouldn't say no to it. And I would drive the wheels off of it...Then I could put the wide whites on it.:p
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Hey Jeff good of you to check in. This is going to be a kool little build. I can't wait to get it done. Keep an eye out for updates and bust my balls when I don't post for a while. Just to keep me motivated.;)

24. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

This little number?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thats one bad ass tudor!
    Thanks Steve. Stay tuned.

25. Rok 51

Rok 51

Lookin' good Big Jim. Great to see the family involved and hope you finish the build real soon.
    Rocky.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  26. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Slow going but I have a small update. Got a little farther on the mock up of the engine bay. Got the junk heads on the junk block. Checking things for clearance. Have three choices for exhaust manifolds. Rear dump long tube block hugger's (steel), Polished regular block hugger's (Just because I have them laying around), & stock chevy rams horn (straight dump). I like the looks of the stock chevy's the best but I think I have to find some rear dump style. Good radiator clearance & I can't get over how nice the stock 34 grille fits the glass fenders and aftermarket radiator. The steering column has to be moved to clear the exhaust. It was good for the 4 banger but there is no way it will clear the V8. So next up is brake peddle, steering, then the hood. I hear the 4 piece hoods are a bear to line up. If the hood fits as nice out of the gate as the grille does it should go pretty smooth.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. flynstone

flynstone

i love how the glass haters always ask if my car is glass.....lol keep up the good work with the family i wish my fam helped me

28. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

It's been a while since I posted an update. I've been real busy planning an addition onto the back of my house. I'm the sole care giver to my Mom who has Alzheimer's. So we are bringing her out here to live with us. Been doing lots of cleaning & organizing as well as a ton of planning. On the plus side I'm getting a bigger garage under her apartment. My area is going to be 24 X 29. I know why not go 30? Because its as big as the town will let me build.:mad: But it will be a nice little man cave with plenty of lighting, heated floors, 12 foot ceilings (For the lift), phone hookup, a place for a fridge, internet access, air outlets, and according to the wife; a cot for me to sleep on.:p Okay on to the car! As I mentioned I'm cleaning up and organizing so I puller out the mock-up motor & put in the rebuilt motor so I can get rid of the mock-up motor. One less thing hanging around. As always I got the whole family involved. I picked up some new radiator support rods & rear dump rams horn exhaust manifolds.
    [​IMG]

Out with the old.

[​IMG]

In with the new.

[​IMG]

My little guy jacking up the transmission.

[​IMG]

And the radiator back in so it doesn't get damaged. I can see someone putting their bike pedal through it so I'm not taking any chances.

[​IMG]

29. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Not much of an update (car wise). Been busy building this. We should be getting back at it early winter once we are settled in. It's a 24X29 garage with 12' ceilings, heated floors & AC in the summer. I will have a lift someday. The apartment upstairs is for my elderly Mom she is coming to live with us (Just have to take care of Mom because it's the right thing to do). Lots of insulation & a vapor barrier to keep the noise & smells down. Stay tuned.If you want to see a more detailed version of the garage build I have a build thread here... http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138187
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

30. WOW! That will be a nice garage! Congratulations!