Register now to get rid of these ads!

56 Chevy ride height question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DonMan, Jan 15, 2012.

1. My car currently has the stock suspension / brakes. Previous owner heated the front coil springs to lower the car. The rear has 3" lowering blocks.

I just bought a front disc brake kit with 2" drop spindles. I want to buy new coil springs and wondering if the 2" lowering springs would be the right choice ?

Has any tri-five owners done this ? Pics ?

Attached Files:

2. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

I have the 2"lower spindles with stock springs and it drops it just right for me on my 56.

3. primed55

primed55

I'd get the 2" spindals and stock springs then cut them a link at a time till you get it where you want it.

4. squirrel

squirrel

lowered spindles + lowering springs = riding on the frame.

Try stock springs, trim if needed.

5. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

If you dont rub a littel your not low enough

Attached Files:

6. vanst603

vanst603
    from New York

My 55 has 2" drop spindles in the front (the IFS is great) and 2" blocks in the back on new springs. Looks and rides great howver after 6 years like this I'm going to take the block out this year, shave 3/8" off and reinstall. This will give me about 1 1/2" total rake front to rear. I have hit the rear snubbers a few times and may correct this too. Good luck on gettin low.

7. Cruiser

Cruiser

Never cut more then 1 1/2 coils out of the springs, it will result in a harder ride. After, 1 1/2 removed the next best thing is a smaller tire size or smaller wheels. This will keep your ride nice and smooth without hard jolts. :D2" spindles is a good start, good luck with your ride.

CRUISER :cool:

8. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

i like it just the way it sits

9. Roscoe7

Roscoe7

Empty and loaded (6 adults). 2" drop spindles, stock springs, 2" lowering blocks.
    DSC09918.jpg
    DSC06500.jpg

10. chevyshubox

chevyshubox
    from Australia

In my Delivery I have 1" lowered springs 2" drop spindles a Big Block with 205 65 15`s and the front crossmember is 6" from the ground and that is the lowest point of the car. 6" is the minimum clearence here in Australia.

11. I would go with the lowered spindles and the lowering springs also. Mine has the 2" lower springs in front and I don't think it has the right attitude yet. I think it needs 2" more down front.I have the stock springs in back with no lowering blocks. Its too level to me.

Attached Files:

12. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Hello Squirrel is that Kubota Orange on your 55 chevy

13. squirrel

squirrel

huh? it's Gypsy Red. Just like the cowl tag says.

btw, when you say "stock springs", keep in mind there are a few different versions of stock springs...strong ones for 6 cyl PG wagons and ragtops, lighter ones for V8 3 speed cars

14. I run lowered spindles with one cut coil, on my daily driver

[​IMG]

15. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

This sits really nice!
    J

16. scrape

scrape

get the drop springs donny.. i used droped spindles and springs on my old 55 chevy wagon and it looked killer.. and rode real good... btw i have some stock springs if you need them...

17. Thank you. Had I known I was going to be driving it for so many years, I would've painted it a different color. But who knew!?

[​IMG]

18. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Why what color I grew up in yucaipa left tere in 1969 spent a littel time on E street

19. I like the way it sits too. Maybe a tad bit lower in front.

That`s the reason for my question -- I am swapping to 2" dropped disc brake spindles and I want to swap the springs because someone heated them and now they are stacked and it rides a little hard.

20. Troy, do you have any pics ? I never saw your old wagon. Did it have "Free Candy" spray painted on the side ?

21. I was too young to understand 'cruising' E st. I just wanted to go home, the whole time! I think that's funny to think back on, now.

They look good lower, but I 'still' scrape going in some driveways! Maybe 1 1/2 cut coils, but I'm pretty sure 2 coils cut is too much with dropped spindles.

22. scrape

scrape

heck yea donny thats why when you look up my name red dot over the house i live in.. haha..
    i dont have any pics of it i think don does though,, i traded it to him and he put stock springs in it.. cause it scraped on his drive way at his old shop... i helped him do a bunch of work to it and then he sold it to larry moss.. i think larry still owns it.. its black with green flames...

23. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Get the lowering coils, you can always put a spacer under them. Cutting coils screws up ride and handling.

24. primed55

primed55

Disagree, I cut 2 coils on my car (stock spindals) and i've done as much as 2 1/2 on others. It does stiffen the ride but not too much, I think it actuly make for a better ride.