Register now to get rid of these ads!

just another shoebox budget build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tedley, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I have a 302/c4 setup in my '49 Shoe with Jamco mounts ... it almost fits . I'll probably be making a custom tunnel .

2. Fabbed a lower steering column mount. Has to be sturdy as i'm running a rack with 'u' joint shaft. I'm ok with the 'u' joint angles after everything was bolted up but may have to dimple the headers for a little more clearance. Turning the wheels back and forth with the front wheels off the ground is super smooth. So far so good.

Attached Files:

3. Spent the big bucks and got these valve cover adaptors for my merc covers i'n running. Kit came with quality gaskets and all hardware. I like it.

Attached Files:

4. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

great built dig the merc valve covers and skirts. keep it up

5. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

What did u do with the old valve covers???

6. I assume your talking about the cal chromes? They are going to get polished up and going on the 28 rpu.

7. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

Nice!

8. It seems like 50% of a build is cleaning parts. Sandblasting, scratching, sanding. When i was younger, i used to enjoy the filthy job. But now it's seems to be a chore. I really hate that part. Anyway, i scored a shop air cleaner for a hun and it's the best thing i ever bought. Works great.
    Lots of time spent on edges and cleaning but things are comming together. Fender edges done, inner fronts done, tie bar and cradle done Doors are rust free, thank god. Jambs bodyworked and done.
    NEXT!!!!!!!

9. Oops.... forgot the pics again

Attached Files:

10. Another step closer. Made a tunnel for more clearance for the trans. Raised it about 1 1/2 inches in or so in front and opened up the rear abit as well. Nothing fancy but stronger than the screw in factory tunnel since new one is welded in.

Attached Files:

11. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

The tunnel looks good . I'll soon be doing the same .

12. Looks like its happening!

13. looking good! keeping a ford init too!

14. Appreciate your comments everyone.
    I did a little more body work lately. Got some hi build primer on some panels. Man, that primer is pricey. 280 blue collar dollars with my discount. Good stuff thou.

Attached Files:

15. The left 1/4 has been haunting me since i got the car. Ah...i'll just repair it i said. So i spend a lot of hours shrinking and pounding, weld up the gas filler, more pounding and shrinking only to get pissed off at that body reveal and tailite area that was crashed. Trying to pull that reveal out was unbelievably tough to get back into shape even thou it's wide open inside. Super thick tin and it just won't move. So.... TO HELL WITH IT. I have a usable 1/4 off a 4 door i stripped earlier with original paint still on it and i feel much better now. lol . More work but it will be worth it. This also makes up my mind about that molding on the 1/4 halves. I like that line on top of the 1/4/s but it's a rust bleeder down the line. So it's gone to. I may retain the original gas filler now, maybe.

Attached Files:

16. jerseymike

jerseymike

ha-ha-ha who you kidding? no way you'll keep that original gas door!

17. Your probably right but we'll see. I'm so pissed i even tried to fix that old 1/4. Should have replaced it from the git go. Dam, now i'm out of argon. Only happens when your on a roll.

Sorry about the lousy angle in the pics. I'm close to the wall and can't get further back for a good side shot

Attached Files:

18. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Looks good!
    I have to fix my quarter panel from drivers side too,but i guess i dont have to cut off such a big piece than you did.
    Keep it up!

19. Yes it's a big chunk but my reveal line was caved as well as the tail lite section was crashed. Getting the reveal line out, where the line disappears into the flat of the 1/4 was the problem . Also i went long so i could get my dolly in behind the weld thru the window opening. Going thru the middle of the wheel opening would have been difficult to get at the seam later. This way i can work the seam to minimize the filler.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  20. ytt49

ytt49
    from socal

still looking good.

21. Ha ha ha....i thought you would be right but you'd be wrong. I guess i'm getting lazy but i am going to use the original gas door. It's not the prettiest but for convenience i'm good with it. I brought home a filler tube from work, i think it's of a caravan or something but it has a nice curve to it and also has a vent tube.It's not too intrusive on the the floor. Fits the original gas grommet as well.

Also mocked up my tail panel and the 1/4 section is going to work out great. Except the original seam filled with lead. Brutal to say the least. Going to have to cut that out and graft a nice piece on both sides. Just to much filler in there. No wonder they always crack there .Just need the time to get to the argon store. Got a ton of welding to do.

Attached Files:

22. jerseymike

jerseymike

ok, i stand corrected! cars looking really good and them skirts look really cool on there. keep it up, springs coming.

23. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

More nice work - I like the filler tube idea .

24. Thanks. I know spring is comming fast. I'm way behind pace this winter since the NHL is back in town i've lost about 50 nites, 50 games, which is about 2 months of working at night on the car. I don't do much in the summer. I prefer to cruise.

GO JETS GO.

25. jerseymike

jerseymike

i am a huge life long n.y. ranger fan. one year i made the mistake of ordering the n.h.l. package and watched about a hundred games a week, even the late nite west coast games. i was so friggin tired all the time i finally had to cancel it! congrats on the jets coming back.

26. knoxbrendon

knoxbrendon

Nice love these cars chopped and not chopped lookin good so far

27. Was a good day today. Scored a set of buckets with the right design and color. Not the ultimate but sure fits into my budget build. I may not use them in the end but i'm happy for now. The guy even had a bolt of material which matches to do the rest of the interior.
    Plan is vanilla exterior and interior. Gold gold dash insert, gold engine.

Attached Files:

28. Looks fantastic, can't believe how much you got done this winter. The skirts blow me away, they look fantastic as well.

kgdb

29. Thanks. It's comming along but way behind pace. I would be blocking the primer right now but just too many Jets on the tube holding me up . lol. It's more exhausting than working.

30. Well being as this is the first season having the Jets back they must take priority!

kgdb