Register now to get rid of these ads!

1951 Mercury

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vlopez22, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Vlopez22

Vlopez22

I need some great advise? I do not know what to do, if I should keep the original front end and add disc brakes& bagged it or go with either a Camaro or Mustang ll front clip and bagged it, I want the best drive and try to save money and time, after I'm going to powder coat it and frame off and going to put a 2004 Chevy engine 5.7 furl injection. Thanks your help, its truly appreciated

2. wheeler.t

wheeler.t

3. desotot

desotot

go crazy!... first thing that came to my mind, must be the darn cold canadian weather getting to my brain. That's what long winters are for. I think,, maybe,,,

4. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

My thoughts exactly!

5. chopnweld

chopnweld
    from Nor Cal

Is your Merc the same one that's for sale on ebay right now?

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not a fan of bagged cars so I'm absolutely no help there.

Questions I'd have to ask are how good of shape is the suspension and steering you have in the car now?

I put an early Camaro front steer subframe under my 51 because the stock suspension, steering and brakes had too many problems to want to deal with. The brake drums were already turned to the max, it had had the springs heated in the 50's and one was broken, every tie rod end and bushing in the front end was worn out and there was a crack where the crossmember connected to the frame that we found later when we flipped it over after it was off the car. Even with all those problems it still drove fairly well but didn't stop worth a shit.

I can't see powder coating a frame on a full bodied street driven custom as you are always inclined to want to make changes and you are screwed with the powder coating as far as touch up. Leave that to the street rodders. Plus if it's bagged you will most likely be either setting the frame on the ground or pavement or scraping something that you didn't see and screwing it up anyhow.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The one for sale on Ebay is in Bakersfield and has the door posts. Nice looking Merc though. The one in his avatar is hard topped if it is his car in the avatar plus he says he is in LA.

There are some side shots of his car here http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=657846 That's one hell for good looking car that sets just right and sure doesn't look like it needs to be another bagged and broken looking car.

I'll be damned glad when this "hey look, I can make my car look like I broke it" fad ends and guys get back to having cars parked at a decent static ride height like they should be instead of looking like they are laying on the ground in the wrecking yard with the springs missing.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  8. You will need to make that decission for yourself as you are the one who will be driving it. If you decide to use the orginal suspension it will be the easiest to install but probally not the cheapest and no ware close to the best in driveabilty. To bag the orginal suspshion you will need a set of dropped upwrights and steering arm about $650.00, a disc brake kit $500, Most likely you will need to replace the cross shaft & bushings and some tie rods & idle bushings $500. You most likely will need to rebuilt the old steering box or decide you want power steering so that's easily another $500

A 2ng gen camoro clip can be had for around $200, A complete rebuild kit and i mean complete for $500, dropped spindels $200, you might need a rebuilt power steering box $150, new brake rotors and rebuilt calipers $150. 2 new 15" steel wheels made with the correct backspacing that will fit just about all popular caps you see on kustom $150.

As for powder coating save your money and wet paint it as you can easily touch it up when you scrape the frame.

9. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Vlopez22...

Instead of wasting time & money trying to "piece together" a front end clip with upgrades for your Merc, check-out a fully-optioned front end clip from Fatman Fabrications. http://www.fatmanfab.com/catindex.php

Yes, it may cost you a little more upfront, but you'll have it all in one package, and it will be safe & solid. I've never heard of anyone who used them being unsatisfied with the results of the build or tech support.

And, yes, forget about Powder Coating the frame on a drop-down kustom. Once you get it that low you'll be the only one who knows you did it.

I wish you all the best, but remember: Whatever you think it will cost you to do what you want to that car wll probably cost you double by the time you're finished...if you do it right.

Jonnie King www.legends.thewwbc.net

10. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Eggs cannot be unscrambled.

11. Vlopez22

Vlopez22

Thanks fellas, your opinion means a lot and its helping me to go in the right direction, so many options but I have time and I want to do it right. If you guys have anymore suggestions please feel free to let me know.

12. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

i think the best thing is to trade it for my '31 coupe ! ............. steve

13. cruiser51

cruiser51

camero clip is the best choice.

14. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Rick, where can you get a 2nd gen Camaro clip for $200? I just did a internet search and Art Morrison is getting between $4K and $6K for his copy cat 2nd gen clip. Scott's is getting $4K. The "boneyard" finds must be getting really scarce. The days of a couple hundred dollar clips are going away? I thought you were designing and fabricating a clip?

15. I used a 1974 rear steer subframe on my 50 and the steering box is in almost the same location as the stock box. Steering column hooks up easily. Better fit than front steer in my opinion.

16. Blakmerk

Blakmerk
    from St.Joe MO

what he said. and no air jiggys. I tried that. hated it. Springs rule.

17. mitchsfab

mitchsfab

Use the stock arms. Use early Camaro spindles and ball-joints. and for steering use a 2000 Grand Cherokee box. I did this in a '51. Drives like a dream.

18. Hey are they mine or did you make them yourself. With or without bags?

19. 61TBird

61TBird

What's a "camero"? :rolleyes:

20. 61TBird

61TBird

^^^^I agree with this^^^^

From your Intro post;

"First going to have it bag clip, then clip, motor, then rear end, then frame off, head lights, grill, tail lights, install new brake booster, then door poppers and install front glass and side glass , then interior, and last but not least the Paint. "

If you build it in that order,it will never be done...
    If you want your car low,Do a Static Drop.
    What can you do with the "extra money" that you save by NOT installing a Front Clip/Air Bags and Powdercoating the Frame?

Rebuild the Suspension and make it a dependable Cruiser first and you'll be much happier!

21. Normbc9

Normbc9

All it takes is time, the proper equipment and the knowledge. I like the lines of the 49-51 Mercury and they are a truly solid automobile too.
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

22. Vlopez22

Vlopez22

Thanks fellas

23. Vlopez22

Vlopez22

Hello fellow H.A.M.B, I would like my hood louvered on my 51 Mercury and I'm wondering if you guys know anyone in the Los Angeles area, that you guys highly recommend. Just out of curiosity, what is a fair price? thanks for your opinion. Also I'm going to install power windows and looking for a great kit for my Merc any suggestions?

24. chopnweld

chopnweld
    from Nor Cal

You asked for an opinion: I wouldn't louver the hood or anything else on it for that matter.

25. 31ACoupe

31ACoupe

it really depends on what you intend to do with the car. if it is just going to be a good looking driver, i wouldn't put a lot of money into it. the stock suspension should be fine for that. also, i wouldn't ever put a cheby motor in a ford/merc product, as it really does nothing for the car that a good flattie or other ford (302-351-even a 460) would do. Also, keep in mind that it is virtually impossible to get a real hi-end ride out of your merc without investing tons of money which you will never see again. i love the mercs, have had several, and they are great for customizing and cruising but the market is pretty full of them if you try to get your money back. just my 2 cents worth.

26. U-235

U-235

"I'll be damned glad when this "hey look, I can make my car look like I broke it" fad ends and guys get back to having cars parked at a decent static ride height like they should be instead of looking like they are laying on the ground in the wrecking yard with the springs missing "

Careful...its language like this that got me deleted when I said a particular car looked like it was broke....they said I was causing "Drama"...!

27. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Here's a 1979 Trans Am ( front steer) with Heidt's narrowed control arms, dropped spindles,
    air bags. I have always felt that if you are going to subframe a heavy car like a Merc and then run a heavy "weight" engine, subframing is the way to go. However,when you do this other factors come into play, like track width and radiator and steering box location. But, keep in mind that the stock Merc suspension is very strong and is cheaper to rebuild than subframing. Plus, disc brake kits are available to replace the Merc drum brakes. I paid $200 ( 3 years ago) for the used Trans Am subframe and then had to rebuild it and buy the new control arms and dropped spindles, etc. not cheap. I don't see many Trans Am's or Camaros in scrap yards these days but you might get one from a private seller. As mentioned in an earlier post, static drop is the most economical way to go.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  28. Vlopez22

Vlopez22

any suggestions for a power window kits for my Merc?

29. Vlopez22

Vlopez22

Thank you John