Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Old Rusty . . . a Father/Son '51 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BrerHair, Dec 18, 2010.

1. i think you may have mentioned that. lol

2. kisam

kisam

Wow! Really nice detail and I love that color of blue!

3. koolkemp

koolkemp

HaHaHa!! " sandblasing sucks" truer words have never been spoken...I too have a great hatred for this evil chore :D ...but I bet you have never had to do when its - 20* :eek:...that really sucks !

4. gsport

gsport

sand blasting sucks??? c'mon, tell us how you really feel....

5. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You know, if I wasn't afraid of the Canadians giving me so much hell for wussing out, then I would hire out all the remaining sandblasting. My problem with it really has to do with not having anywhere near the proper air capacity. I have a 30 amp compressor that puts out 14 cfm at 90 psi. I need 3 or 4 times that. I blast for 45 seconds then wait 5 or 6 minutes for the compressor to catch up.

Thanks Kathy, Billy chose the color. Bet koolkemp likes it too, especially on '51 Chevys!

Ahh . . . speak of the devil, it's Mr. Canadian, reminding us soft Southern wusses that not only do they do their own sandblasting, but they do it in a 20 below blizzard! See what I mean? :)

Right now I can't think of anything I hate more.

6. very cool project. i just went through it all. a very ambitious project, but great work so far

7. dvs

dvs

I'm glad you're back on it, Brer. I love following this build, it's very well written, the photos are well done, and your work is excellent. Thanks for posting and welcome back.

8. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

Hats off to you first for your parenting, second for your progress. Your one heck of a dad. Wish I had me a boy. This is hands down one of my favorite threads of all time.

9. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hindsight tells me that is is overly ambitious, but all that really means is that it takes a few more years to get it on the road. Great learning experience, great shared experience with Billy, and I'm having a blast with it. Thanks.

Thanks man, I appreciate it.

I'm flattered, Blades. Thank you.

10. Just Gadget

Just Gadget

thanks for the thread ... love the time spent with the kids ... I now have a boy (5) we'll be starting a project very soon ... Nice work for a carpenter ... Keep up the great work and keep us posted ... Great choice with the shoebox taillights ... the caddy lights have been done to death ... I have looked at my car and have seen so many things I would have done different ... but I have done that with them all ... lol
    Gadget

11. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hahaha! That's what I'm sayin' . . . Thanks man, Mr. I-don't-need-no-stinkin'-glass! Will be looking for your father/son project in a few years!

This came today, next up on the list:
    Edit: OT stuff

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  12. gsport

gsport

spaghetti for dinner??

13. lol, TPI wiring doesn't look easy, any way you do it....

Take your time and it will be worth it in the end. Is the silver box where the fuses for the ECU, injectors and fuel pump live? Is the fuel pump relay there too?

I wish I had done that on my OT Cutlass instead of spending six months with a Corvette wiring harness.

14. Just Gadget

Just Gadget

gotta luv them TPI's ... that's what is going in my 51 AD build ... that is next in line!

15. oaknut

oaknut

Really nice job you have done here. I will watch this also!

16. Good luck with the wiring, it's a job but take it slow and it will not be a problem. I rewired a buddy's '50 F1 using an EZ Wiring harness for the Chassis and the Ford factory wiring that came with the fuel injected 302/AOD he had installed. I did a lot of research and there is a Ford fuel injection web site that had wiring schematics for the whole system. I basically ended up with two different wiring harnesses, one for the motor and one for the chassis but it works great!! I realize you are working with a GM fuel injection unit but I know you'll get it figured out. It usually isn't as complicated as it looks once you get down to the basics of each wire. Slow and steady and make lots of notes!!!

17. stinkity stoink

stinkity stoink
    from new jersey

oh man. I feel for you. I did one of those detail zone tpi kits. Take youre time and put it in a spot where you aren't doing back bends to wire it up. It is a nice kit ,but there are easier set ups that I have done.
    Nice build!!!

18. I like your cherry picker and body roll stand --very creative...have you decided to replace the frame or repair...I'll bet u guys have learned alot!!! gump

19. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh boy, can't wait! :D

Hey Rod . . . Edit

Plan on driving the shit out of this thing.

Thanks oaknut !

Thanks David. Great job on the F4!

Thanks man!

Thanks gump. We replaced the '51 frame with a '49 from a junkyard donor.

20. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We pulled the engine&tranny this evening, getting ready to (Edit)

21. five-duece-chevy

five-duece-chevy
    from PA

22. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice Jaregg.

23. robleticia

robleticia

Man Brer.....you jumped back in feet first and swingin'!!!! So glad you are back on it!

24. You will be glad you have the 'Vette engine because the fuel rail fuel line entrances work out better than the Camaro.

Are you going to use the 'Vette accessories (Alt, Water Pump, Power Steering etc?)

Are you going withe the Speed Density computer or the Mass Air? Speed Density does package better because you don't need the MAF sensor.

25. Ed "Axle" II

Ed "Axle" II
    from Evans,CO

26. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got a lot of catching up to do, Rob. Ready for your updates too, by the way.:)

Damn, Rod. You know a whole lot more about this than I do. Manual steering I figured what the hell, I grew up with manual steering); Edit

Thanks.

27. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Removed the engine and tranny (Edit)

28. spasecadet

spasecadet
    from PDX

Thats awesome! Very clever. /me makes note of this idea.

BrerHair: There is a saying: Life is what happens while you are making other plans :D
    Glad to see you're back at it!

~Spasecadet

29. Another advantage to using the Speed Density Computer is you can put a 4" K & N filter directly on the throttlebody. With Mass Air you have to put a 90 on the throttle body and then the Mass Air Meter. After that you could put the filter.

Mine TPI was mass air. I built a cold air box in the front fender area. If I was doing it again I would be using Speed Density.