Register now to get rid of these ads!

1950 Mercury starting my progect!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SycoSteve, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Well Steve since you beat me to the clip in Santa Anna last weekend. Tuesday i had to send Greasy to 29 Palms to get mine. This is a 79 Trans Am clip and i am using the stock TA big block springs as this one will have a heavy Ford 460 C6. When this car is all back together. The frame should set a little higher than we want at around 7" ground clearnce. So i am planing to add 2" dropped spindles but i want get it all back together first. Here are some new pic's. I know most of these pics are to late for you but others might want to see.

Rick Erickson

Attached Files:

2. Heres a few more pic's of how i finish off the front rails and reinforce the bumper mounting brackets.

Attached Files:

3. choppedmerc

choppedmerc
    from Spokane

EXK - I really like the jig you made for the front bumper mount! Thats some good planning ahead. If you were going to run airride planning to have the frame about 1" off the ground layed out. How high would you set the subframe, at the rear where it meets the original chassis. What is your optimum choice for a rear end? Thank you, Korey

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  4. Thanks, If bags are being used i install the clips rails in the middle of the X member just like you see here in this post. Since you want a 1" saftey scrub you probally can use the stock spindles and make a bump stop when done. For optimun choice in the rear this is whats under my personal mercs but overkill for most. I like a simple 2 link better than any 4 bar setup. There are a few kits avail and i even make one. If interested let me know and i can post some pics and more info about them.

Attached Files:

5. choppedmerc

choppedmerc
    from Spokane

EXK - do you have any experience with ford explorer 8.8 rearends from the mid to late 90's. they seam real intriguing posi, disc brakes with built in emergency brakes. Sorry to high jack your thread SycoSteve. Seemed like a good time to ask.

6. SycoSteve

SycoSteve

I began the chopping today!

Attached Files:

7. Seems all us watchers will miss out if you only email them to one watcher.

8. SycoSteve

SycoSteve

Sorry, I feel that between the pictures that EXK and I that there have been good pictures posted on each step I,m taking. If someone needs better pics of a certain area i will be glad to post.:)

9. Yes at 59.5" wheel flange to flange they fit and will hold up behing a mild V8. They have gotten a little pricey so if your going to have to pay good money most choice the Lincoln 9" version. Be careful as the brake calipers some time will hit on some 15" wheels. On lowered and bagged cars i have had to C notch the frame the outside of the frame in about 1" for caliper E brake adjuster clearnce.

My dad's green 51 had a 2nd gen Camaro with stock spindles and a ford solid 8.8

Attached Files:

10. hvychvy

hvychvy

Looking good Syco, keep the pics coming!

11. You can also get a www.photobucket.com account to save your pics for posterity sake.

Looks good, is that the height of the chop? Looks like 5-6 inches?

12. SycoSteve

SycoSteve

Thanks, lots of more work to do. Its 4 1/2 front and 5 in the rear.

13. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

There is a wrecking yard here in East County (Lakeside) called the Greenyard that has a large inventory of Explorer rearends. If you do your homework on the models you can get one with 3.73 gears and posi for $225. 1996 year model started the disc brake option.

14. 60chev

60chev
    from Australia

Shit i missed the chop did you do more photos of how you went about the chop.

15. Seems like you can only get the pics by email .. :eek::eek:

16. SycoSteve

SycoSteve

more pics to come, still a long way to go.

Attached Files:

17. SycoSteve

SycoSteve

My donor motor has arrived!

Attached Files:

18. SycoSteve

SycoSteve

getting the rear window where i want it.

Attached Files:

19. Slanted b-pilars or straight? How much did you take out of it?

20. SycoSteve

SycoSteve

Slanted pillars. Took 4 1/2 out in front and 5 in the rear.

21. SycoSteve

SycoSteve

more progress.

Attached Files:

22. Looking good.....nice profile.

23. choppedmerc

choppedmerc
    from Spokane

SycoSteve - You sure don't let grass grow under your feet! Your merc is really taking shape keep up the good work.

24. Are you leaving the back of the side windows like that?
    I did mine the same and really like the look.

25. Same as mine...slddnmatt takes out 4 1/2" from the front then adjusts the rear til it flows nice. That third pic with the side profile looks alot like mine.

26. SycoSteve

SycoSteve

NO, I still need to fabricate the radius onn the back of the rear quarter windows.

27. SycoSteve

SycoSteve

Thats what i did i like a nice even flow to the trunk lid. I moved the rear window up instead of just tilting it. i think it makes for better lines.

28. chopnweld

chopnweld
    from Nor Cal

Nice chop Stevey.

29. 1950-mercury

1950-mercury

Your merc is coming along really nice!!! Keep up the good work!!!

30. LOOKS GREAT!!!!
    Keep up with the pics.
    I did mine the same way!

Attached Files: