Register now to get rid of these ads!

A Near Black Experience - Dark Paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Slimegreeeeeen, Jan 14, 2012.

1. I'm strongly leaning towards a dark suede paint job for my Tall T. Deep Maroon, Deep Purple, Deep Blue. Would like to have some reference
    pics from fellow HAMBers. Thanks.

Here's a good example, painted by Jeff Meyers: SHOE DONE.jpg

2. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I went graphite, which looks almost black except in bright light. Probably shouldn't post a picture becaue it's an off topic Camaro.

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

4. Wow. I had no idea that you could Hot Rod Flatz could be buffed out like that. PRetty damn cool. Thanks for sharing this.

P.S. Interesting new Avatar, Jeffrey.

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

It's the Wizard from Batman! I thought it was fitting considering I had just semi finished my '35 haha!!!

And as for the Hot Rod Flatz being buffed out, I would have never thought either but this really could be a good option for you. You could paint it flat for a a year or two and if you needed a change you could buff it out!! I may even go that route for my '33.

6. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I will love the darkness for it shows me the stars.

7. You're the shit, Terd. Totally digging your tip, Jeffrey. Congrats on the '33. Pics?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  8. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

JJ...the car you posted does look great buffed out. Shiny, but not too glossy, like base/clear. Kind of like original paint.

Even regular primer will buff pretty good. I had a '52 Chevy years ago. Had big red oxide primer spots. Buffed the whole car one day, and was amazed how nice and shiny the primer came out. Just didn't stay that way for too long. I imagine the Flatz paint retains the shine better.

9. Pics, people, pics!

RAY.jpg

Attached Files:

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I got it about a year and a half ago and had a thread up on it. I'll start a thread once I get a few more key parts and get started. First things first though I gotta fix my '35's brakes!!!!

Yeah we should ask El Bombero how it's holding up? If it's holding up well enough it should be an option more often-ly explored. I had planned on brush painting my car but this might be a good option instead.

Oh and can I say how cool of a color that dark maroon/purple is? It lends itself to an early or late car depending on engine and wheel choice!

11. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I'm on the purple bandwagon. I want to do this to my truck.

[​IMG]

Its candy; not suede. But nontheless....

12. Very nice. Is that secondary color a light rose?

13. deaconjwh

deaconjwh
    from Parma, OH
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Here's mine: Hot Rod Flatz Midnight Purple Pearl. I like the idea of buffing it to a shine someday...nice option to have.

Attached Files:

14. Now that's what I'm talking about!