Register now to get rid of these ads!

rattle can

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JDiGio1960, Jan 13, 2012.

1. JDiGio1960

JDiGio1960
    from Ventura,CA

Anyone have a rattle can job on their truck or car, that actually looks decent? what steps did you take? doesnt have to be amazing, but it seems like spray paint today, is almost better than the factory paint then! am i seeing things? thanks!:D

2. fleetside66

fleetside66

I did mine with rattle cans & I'm happy with it. One of the reasons I did it is that I always mess up nice paint jobs. I'm sick of the worry & maintenance that it takes to live with pretty paint. I'm not so sure that a rattle can job can be compared to normal paint job, however. There are some interesting old threads here discussing brush & roller paint jobs, some of which produce startling results. Check it out.

[​IMG]

3. Rattle can here, Krylon BBQ black.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also rattle can'ing a buddy's Datsun truck right now that is turning out wonderful. No pics and it's a '73 so not exactly HAMB material.

4. SledDriver

SledDriver
    from California

Rattle canned this... Let it sit for a week and then washed it with soap and water using 0000 steel wool. Turned out nice! I forgot the brand, but used Satin White.

Attached Files:

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I liked the look.

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

look for rattle cans that spray a flat fan spray pattern more like a spray gun, rather than standard cone shape pattern

7. Never rattle canned an entire car that came out OK but quite a fw motor cycles. The first step always was to get really twisted, then the other steps after that were just basic painting procedure. Probably would be about the same for a car.

This is OT and fuzzy, but it is rattle can paint, I think its got about 10k on it at this point. Still had the same paint in '85 when I sold the bike, still looked about the same.

[​IMG]

DOH the pic was snapped in '82. My last year full time on the road.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  8. Crankhole

Crankhole

Sorry for the sidetrack, but...what kinda wheels are these?

[​IMG]

9. not a full car.but this is rattle can touch up paint on my firewall wimbledon white.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Straight8's&Aces

Straight8's&Aces

low budget rattle can jobs

Attached Files:

11. 52pig

52pig

That is an awesome bike. Great picture, reminds me of my pops.

12. jammersspeed

jammersspeed
    from herman mn.

krylon satin on a '60 bel air 4dr i did a couple of years ago.... just have to prep it like you would any other paint job...and dont try and get it to cover with just one coat

Attached Files:

13. Oldhenry1

Oldhenry1

I rattled mine. It was light blue with brown primer that looked too much like rust so now it's flat black.

14. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

I'm well impressed with the finish available from rattle cans now. I always remember it as thin watery paint back when I was a teenager, but now it comes out thick and lustrous, and tough.

15. My sedan in the pictures on here was a roller job. I just redid it last winter and did a rattlecan Rustoleum flat black. It turned our alot smoother and looks alot better than the roller job. I just need to wet sand the roof to get rid of the overspray.

16. t-buckethead

t-buckethead
    from texas

all rattle can and a little blue painters tape.any one in the houston area seen this bucket,i miss it...

Attached Files:

17. Pic to big to show but everything I did paint was rattle can.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  18. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

IMHO this is a hot rod and it is beautiful. Congrats to all the rattle canners and brush jobs. I neither have the funds nor lungs (sorry about the rhyme) adult onset asthma, to do the several thousand dollar job.

I came here for inspiration and that^^^^is what I'm talking about.

Regards,

Cosmo

19. lt1racing

lt1racing

[​IMG]
    krylon satin black. i bought a cheap harbor freight D/A sander for 24.99 and some 180 sand paper. it turned out ok. had a few places in it. since this pic., i have gone over the car with a scotchbrite pad. it looks cleaner now.

20. Original57

Original57

Never attempted to paint anything substantial before, so forgive me if this is a stupid question, BUT do you guys paint a clear coat over the top or just wet sand/buff when you're done?

21. lt1racing

lt1racing

spraying clear over flat or satin will make the car look like it just came thru a heavy rain.

22. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

On the Tbucket everything EXCEPT the black is Duplicolor, on the shoebox all areas where I've removed door handles, mirrors, etc is also DupliColor. I love the stuff.

Attached Files:

23. vg62truck

vg62truck

Done a few rattle can and roller paint jobs over the years, but mostly on stock cars, but I always say, "At a hundred miles an hour down the back straight who cares"

Vern

24. fleetside66

fleetside66

They are Mopar spare tire wheels from the junk yard. They come from the bigger Mopars (16" X 4"), so they don't exactly jump out at you when you're looking for them. I don't think I paid more than $15 apiece. Speaking of paint, all four of them never saw the pavement, so I didn't have to paint them. They're a 4.5 " bolt circle, by the way.

25. I didn't rattle can the whole truck but patched some places on the body. Panted the engine, firewall, running boards, wheels, grill, inner fenders, interior and dash with rattle cans.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To do a whole car I'd do one panel at a time.

Here's a little tech I did on rattle can.

http://jalopyjournal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6953234&postcount=230

26. sobpunx

sobpunx

I painted a ot fury I had with a rattle can, I used a ny fat spray tip that graffiti artist use, you get a better coverage with it and seems to go on smoother. It does takes a few more cans to do a whole car thou.

27. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

QUOTE=LowKat;7340741]I didn't rattle can the whole truck but patched some places on the body. Panted the engine, firewall, running boards, wheels, grill, inner fenders, interior and dash with rattle cans.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To do a whole car I'd do one panel at a time.

Here's a little tech I did on rattle can.

http://jalopyjournal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6953234&postcount=230[/QUOTE]

Rattle can master how do you do those white walls? Nice work I have been watching your tech.Great Job not to jack the thread but one should check it.

28. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In the 70's in Waco, Tx guys would go to Foster's paint store and he would mix custom colors and put them in rattle cans. A lot of the choppers in that area got painted with those rattle cans at that time. I lost track of how many cans of red primer I bought from him but I hit his shop on my lunch hour on a regular basis for spray bomb paint for the T and the 48.

Laddie Segrest (sp) of Waco used Gibson's true black lacquer spray bombs from the Gibson's dept store to paint his 32 Ford. The car that held the Texas 32 Ford license plate for many years after Texas started issuing personalized plates. He told the story of going into the store every week and picking up another case or two of the spray cans and spraying on another coat and then wet sanding the car and spraying on another coat. The car still had a decent looking black paint job in 1975 when I moved from Texas back to Wa. I'd still like to know what happened to that car after he passed away and what happened to the 32 frame that was under his house in the crawl space under his bedroom.

29. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

I rattle can painted the white roof a couple of years ago. It recently has stared to peel in a few spots, I probably did not prep it properly before spraying. No problem, it only cost about $20 to do, this spring I'll re-do it.

Attached Files:

• A C.jpg
      A C.jpg
      File size:
      61.8 KB
      Views:
  30. miraclepieco

miraclepieco
    BANNED

Uhhh, when doing a whole car with a rattle can, doesn't your index finger get tired?

sore finger.JPG

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012