Register now to get rid of these ads!

Midwest gasser guys, need info on this old willys gasser from Iowa!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 37willysgasser, Dec 16, 2010.

1. lowtruck

lowtruck
    from Omaha

Cool car.

Scribner was my home track in high school, but that was in the 90's. Cool place, just a dragstrip in the middle of a cornfield.

They may also have run at the Marion, South Dakota track, which is still in operation. http://www.mcir.com/

Don't know if that's helpful at all, but it may be worth a shot.

2. 37willysgasser

37willysgasser

I got some great info on the car, thanks to everyone one the hamb, ive been able to track the car down to the 60s gasser wars.
    I am waiting on pictures, i should have in a few days, and will post them when i get them.

3. That is awesome you gathered that much information in a short time. Shows just how many poeple are here on the H.A.M.B.

4. 1955gassser

1955gassser

Raced at Cordova Drag strip near mississippi river north of Moline Ill in early 70s, Light blue-silver Willys sat in leanto building at farm on side of road on way to track for years. Everyone knew farmer would not sell. Rumored to be run at Cordova late 60s. Heard it came from Cali in early 60s Hope it helps

5. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

Hope you bring it running or not in July!!!

6. Ok - cant wait for the history updates and any old pics

7. 37willysgasser

37willysgasser

Update: In the last month I have contacted countless people: old dragracers , historians, photographers, and more.
    have had good leads and bad ones but everyone has been helpful!
    This car has been raced since the 60's but finding old pictures from that era are hard so that is a work still in progress.

As of sunday Ms. Hennings is mailing out some old pics when they had it at the race track.
    also been working on contacting previous owners of the car, got ahold of a few, still waiting on more to get back to me.

as for parts for the car i got a hold of 427 four bolt & turbo 400, moon gas tank, found the steel front end off the car, still need to work a deal on that.
    heres a couple recent pics till i get some old ones.
    I will keep everyone updated!
    thanks again for all the help!

Attached Files:

8. 37willysgasser

37willysgasser

just got home from work to see an envelope from the mailman, from Mrs. Vicki Hennings.
    here are two pics she sent, she said more are on the way.

Attached Files:

elgringo71 likes this.
  9. 37willysgasser

37willysgasser

heres a couple more i just got today!

Attached Files:

10. Hey that car looks familiar. Maybe now she'll make it back to the track. Those old photos look cool. Glad you got them.
    Dan

11. 37willysgasser

37willysgasser

heres a few updated pics with smallblock, till we get the 427 done.

Attached Files:

12. violet springs

violet springs

13. cakes

cakes

Looks great man, I am jealous of the info you were able to find. I cant seem to find any info on my 54.

14. willysgasser40

willysgasser40
    from Illinois

Your Willys is lookin good !!!!!

15. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

From the pics of the Chevelle, it looks like the PO liked metallic blue! ;)

16. 37willysgasser

37willysgasser

update: got the old ansens and slicks mounted
    rebuilt front suspension
    tunnel ram on small block
    headers should be here this week.

Attached Files:

17. 37willysgasser

37willysgasser

been a while since i updated this resto,so heres so more pics, got new sanderson headers, cal auto front clip, hope to have it ready for the 2012 gasser reunion beaver springs pa.

Attached Files:

18. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Looks great, keep up the good work and dont make it to fancy, looks killer just like it is!

19. AA/Fuel34fordpu

AA/Fuel34fordpu

How cool man your Willys is BITCHEN most people dont like 4 doors but I just dig them!!!!!

20. haychrishay

haychrishay

This is the cool thing about this message board, it's like being in the neighborhood and watching everbody's project. That being said the Gasser is cooll !!!

21. 37willysgasser

37willysgasser

ya dave we are gonna keep it like it was as much as possible with few minor updates, heres a few more pics with the new hood i picked up from a fellow hamber of an old so cal gasser.

Attached Files:

elgringo71 likes this.
  22. A100

A100

Your car is looking real sharp.

Here is another four dr Willys being raced at Des Moines in 67.
    I didn't know there was another 4 dr style.

[​IMG]

23. 37willysgasser

37willysgasser

2012 update, I recently acquired an olds posi 5:13 center section from a fellow hamber that should be here soon, we are currently installing the the new rollcage and mounting it in the same mounts the old cage was , i am trying to keep this car as much like it was when it was last raced in the late 1970's heres a couple pics.

Attached Files:

24. modelkitbasher

modelkitbasher

there wasnt man the 1941 went to what we like to call the big body styled 4 door.

25. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Hi Vince I had a buddy in Omaha that might have owned that car in the 70's Rick Naprovnick if it is the same one I have 8 MM flim from marion SD give me a call or email me Tim Jones

26. 37willysgasser

37willysgasser

Tim any info on this car would be great, if anyone else knows about the car Tim has mentioned feel free to contact me. again thanks to everyone who has helped with this restoration, We are shooting for Beaver Springs 2012 to debut the car.

27. Mullins

Mullins

That is great to see the history come back to the car. Love reading and seeing the vintage pictures of your car. Keep up the great work. It's looks great!!!!

28. MCINK

MCINK
    from EASTRIVER

The car Rick Napravnik raced is still owned by him. He raced the car in the Hot Rod Magazine Drag Week last year, and the car was featured in Hot Rod magazine.

29. fitzee

fitzee

Man I love reading these posts..Isnt the hamb history class great?? Oh I love the car too..

30. chubbie

chubbie

I have a picture of a four door, taken at marion S.D. in about 1971. it was a darker blue. i think the driver used the back doors