Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Eastwood & Barakat

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rick Barakat, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Haha, true.

2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

i have no defense...

3. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Okay Pat-
    You're up. Here are the dimensions for the drive shaft.
    Seal flange on transmission to rear of cup on 3rd member is 38 1/4".
    Cup diameter is 1.060"
    Width of 3rd member yoke is 3.225".
    Please explain to everyone why you do what you do.
    Thanks!
    Rick

4. Thanks!!!!
    I now know what the rear u-joint size is because that determines part of how I will decide what u-joint size or or sizes for the shaft. The rear u-joint is standard 1310 series. I keep a TH400 trans slip yoke in stock for the exact same u-joint size.
    If other dimensions had been given on the rear u-joint size, I may have needed to make a shaft that had a larger 1330 rear/1310 front shaft or whatever. It could be full out 1350 series, 3 1/2" x .083 DOM drag car stuff. Many questions add up to a correct answer to spec a driveshaft.
    I can take a new transmission slip yoke and know how it fits in the transmission and how to subtract that from the shaft measurement. That determines the rest of the math for the parts involved to build the shaft.
    The next post will involve pics of building the shaft. Maybe I can find somebody that knows how to video and post of how I do my work.
    Rick, you will get a brand new polished steel driveshaft. I recommend painting it when it's in your possesion.

5. 383stroker

383stroker
    from Roscoe, SD

this build is awesome! im only 18 and i read an issue of hotrod from about 2002-2003 that had the original article reprinted. I loved that car and i didnt even know it was famous..... i hope u guys put m/t valve covers on it again.

6. I have one question that troubles me about the TH400. It's about how GM made the output shaft with having a boss for an O-ring. The boss isn't too far forward of the output shaft bushing in a short tail TH400 application, if that's what the transmission is. Just a couple of ways to find out.
    The transmission is heading toward the shop for a rebuild, so taking the tailhousing off will be of no complication with resealing. If that is done, you can visually observe if that boss is there, about 3" forward of the tip end of the output shaft.
    The other way would be to do something like I've done. I have looked into the extension housing to see if the boss is there, and then made a feeler gauge/measuring stick to be marked at the tip of the output shaft to know where it is.
    Why so important? That o-ring boss is larger in outside diameter than the minor diameter of the slip yoke splines. To make it more simple, the spline points can't go over something larger than they are apart.
    GM made slip yokes that had the splines bored out and the tip to be bored large enough to fit over the boss for the o-ring. Come to think of it, most early '70s cars and trucks had that while the slip yoke I use did not because it was for BW T-10 and M-22 applicatiions. We just modify them a little bit to work with an automatic.
    Little details can make an easy job hard.

7. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

[​IMG]

Rick
    Is that one I did ? ….. Pete doesn’t tell me what there going under.

Greg

8. Mr4Speed

Mr4Speed

I usually start with checking if the center of the output is threaded for a bolt on yoke.
    No threads, then no collar!
    If it's threaded the collar can be mashined off while it's apart for a rebuild or use a counterbored yoke...

9. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Greg

Yes, that is one of your's. In '83,when I wrecked it, it killed the axle, so at that time I replaced it with a Super Bell tube.
    Now that we are restoring it, I wanted to go back with a dropped '34 like it had.

I'd also like to let you all know that Greg's dropped axles are THE BEST available. I've been screwin' with this stuff a long time, and it's really nice when you can get a part that is done right !

Any body need a Super Bell tube axle? I've got one I don't need!

Pete

10. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Greg-
    I hope you know that is quite an endorsement coming from Pete.
    If you look, you can see he has only posted comments 3 times.
    Heck, he's not even that nice to me!!!
    Rick

11. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Hey Rick, Pete isn't that nice to you 'cause he knows you (if you ask him, probably for too long). It's OK though, we all can't be lovable. I'm gonna miss seeing you guys at GNRS as I don't get to come down this year, so it will have to be in June. The progress on the sedan looks really good. I wish I was closer, it would be fun to come over to assist. Later.

12. Rick,
    I guess I have been out in the O zone on this build. Just found it today and have spent the last few hours reading every bit of information you and others have posted on this build. How cool that you guys are building another after 30 years. This was one of the best 32 sedans to ever be built.
    Sure hope to see it some day. Gat any of the new shirts ready to ship? If so I would like a Large.
    Keep the photos rolling on this build.
    Dennis

13. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Dennis- Thanks for your kind words!
    I still have a few of the original shirts left. I am not quite sure when or if I will do the new shirts.
    Rick

14. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

really diggin' this build Rick...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  15. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Here is the gas pedal. More complex than it looks and it allows us to use a mechanical rod to the carb instead of a cable.
    Notice that the mounting bolt is flipped so the distributor is not in the way.

Attached Files:

16. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Pete
    Thank you very much …. glad your happy.
    The 32 is lookin real good

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I know! .... much appreciated

I kinda wish I only had 3 comments >>>> Id have a running hot rod :eek:

17. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

^ Ditto. Just found this thread and love it. Thanks for sharing your journey.

18. lstwsh

lstwsh
    from Dayton,Oh

I would say Pete is too busy building Hot Rods and has no time talking about building them.Keep up the great work.

19. Man I just found this thread. How cool is this. Resurrection is the coolest of cool. I am in for the second generation T shirts!!!

20. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Thanks for all the comments....it confirms we are on the right track! Share the thread with your friends.

I'll be posting pictures of the trans tunnel tomorrow. Things seem to be picking up speed. We are getting real close to taking it apart to prep and paint the chassis.

21. I'll be building the shaft this weekend! I have all the pieces n place.
    We decided to use 2 1/2" diameter tubing with .083 wall thickness. It will be plenty strong for the application, and the tubing diameter will have a complimentry appearance to the yoke sizes at each end of the driveshaft, along with plenty of RPM capability.
    Y'all keep up the good work. I'm enjoying the fire out of this build!!!

22. plumpcars

plumpcars

Great to see so much progress! Thanks again for sharing Rick.

23. I really love this thread. I turn 32 in a few weeks and I grew up reading about this car and what ever I could lay my hands on regarding Pete Eastwood, Pete & Jakes etc. Its so cool to see this project come back to life. Thanks Pete & Rick!

24. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Rick and Pete, Love the throttle setup. That's what I like about this build, it is like we used to do it. Reminds me of of our coupes when we were in the Vintage Tin. Keep posting these details as that is what really helps the newer guys figure out how one of these cars all come together. Do you think you will be driving by LARS?

25. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

If you have been following this build for some time, you know who Weedburner 40 is. The coupes he is referring to are Pete's 32 3W and Dale's and my 34 5Ws. All Fords of course. For the newer guys, we had to make everything ourselves back then. Including suspension, throttle linkage, master cylinder mount, exhaust. Catalogs????? there were no stinking catalogs back then.
    Dale-
    We are hoping to drive it by Deuce Day. March 2nd. (3-2-12)If we do, it probably won't have the chassis painted by then. Otherwise it will be at LARS.
    Should we take it to Deuce Day in the incomplete form or wait until it is completed? Let me hear what you guys think!

26. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Take it! Not like you are debuting it in some grand manner. Keep the interest up and the pretense down. Not that you guys are like that anyway....

27. 383stroker

383stroker
    from Roscoe, SD

who cares what it looks like! drive it in incomplete form

28. nvr2lo

nvr2lo

Just found this, and read through all of it. So awesome its coming back. I'm turing 31 this month, and this was one that I have looked too. Love it. I've always been a custom guy, but whenever I build my hot rod , this is a huge influence....

29. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

A touch o/t here, but maybe funny... I grew up in the pre catalog "street rod" era, (you didn't dare call a car a hot rod in the seventies or eighties unless amongst friends) doing exactly what you are talking about.
    Remember when every body that used an automatic would go to the wrecking yard and pickup a shifter out of a Mustang, say 64- 68 or so? I must have pulled some thing like 900 of them out of cars in the nineties as the nostalgia thing grew. Always threw them in the dollar box and hauled them to the swaps... Try to buy one lately? Needed one for the girfriends Falcon wagon, hit the swaps for a month - 40.00!!! Your seventies Chevy "sport" steering wheel and Mustang II buckets made me think of this too...

30. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

My 34 5W had a mustang shifter! I think Pete's 3W had one also.