Register now to get rid of these ads!

What street/City did you cruise in High School?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 73super, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

3rd Street, Mcminnville,Oregon in the mid 60's in a yellow 49 Olds fastback.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. Hawthorne Blvd. from Hawthorne up to North Holywood and back, late 50's and early 60's what a ride, used to be a white 40 Ford with if you can catch me you can have me on the back. She was good looking and terribly fast, cost me a bunch of gas but it was cheap.

3. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

Main st. peoria il. late 70's early 80's in my orange 74 Z/28

4. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"E" St. San Berdoo, CA

5. Cruiser

Cruiser

In the late '50's early '60's we cruised Pacific Ave in San Pedro, CA. The night cruise went from 6th street to 21st street right thought the alley to 22nd right on Pacific Ave and back to 7th st turn right to Mesa st onto 6th again and out onto Pacific Ave again. WE cruised the A&W on 14th st on Gaffey St to blocks up from Pacific Ave.
    The weekend day cruising took it all the way out to Cabrillo Beach and 36th st turning around and back to down town at 6th st.
    The cops closed down cruising on Pacific Ave in the mid '60's and Cabrillo Beach has a paid gate now and you can't turn around there any more for cruising and the bikinis.
    We also cruised Hawthorne Blvd and the A&W there, we did Firestone in Downy and Harvey's Boiler.
    I was cruising in a black '57 Chevy with a mean rake and a 301 Chevy and 5 spoke mags.

CRUISER :cool:

6. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Just cruised through all 38 pages of this thread..
    High school days for me ('66-'70) was E Street, Baseline, and Highland in Berdoo.
    Market, Magnolia, and University in Riverside. Redlands Blvd. in Redlands. Palm Canyon in
    Palm Springs.
    Round, Round, I Got Around.

7. DK23

DK23

Cruiser, I did the same route on Pacific, and remember the A&W quite clearly. Buying root beer in the refillable glass jugs and the disposable cardboard "cones", but of course the best was their frosted mugs. Cruised in my firend's '56 Chevy, metalic blue with white Tijuana tuck and roll upholstery.
    Did you go to Dana and Pedro High?

8. LWT

LWT
    from Va.

Williamson Rd. in Roanoke,Va.- You never had to ask where your buddies were or when to meet. When it started getting dark, all your friends, a few of your enemys, and just about everyone else was gonna be there....until it started getting light...

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  9. Darrins

Darrins
    from Covington

The Loop in Renton Washington

10. Fast67VelleN2O

Fast67VelleN2O

North Wilmington Delware. Route 202 to the Pa line and back. Redlight racing.

South Philly any road from Front to 11th street by the stadiums and sometimes Pattison Avenue. Street racing hot spots.

Southwest Philly Holstein and 61st.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  11. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Rankin Road, north side of houston... used to be the best street racing from the 60s to the early 2000s and then went down hill with stupid kids and ghetto people... was completely shut down basically 5 to 6 yrs ago...

12. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

North main to Hokeys Hamb Burger joint . Out to Jones rd for a little Race time. Mid 60s Walnut Creek Ca

13. Six-Shooter

Six-Shooter
    from Ohio

Yearling Rd., Whitehall, OH (Columbus east side). We would cruise past our high school and stop at Stewart's Root Beer Drive-In for a burger, fries, and a root beer float.

14. Wagonmaster2

Wagonmaster2

We cruised Atlanta on Ponce De Leon Ave between The Varsity downtown and Decatur and raced out on Memorial Drive when the Jack's drive in was the place!!! Would also venture out to Joe Cotton's in West End when we needed some "strange".

15. Federal Ave in Mason City, Iowa. From The Hop drive in on south Federal to Hasse's Drive In on north Federal, stopping for cokes and burgers and continuing up and down Federal. Late fifties and early sixties.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  16. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

Mid to late 70's, Main Street in Ventura, CA. Had a '70 Roadrunner and a '62 Chevy II with a Ray Zeller, (Keith Black), balanced and Blueprinted SBC, Mullens Heads and an A1 Turbo 350 tranny. Big Pontiac rear with H70-15's squeezed in the rear fenderwells. It looked and sounded great but just set there and spun the tires:) Started out as a project from local racer Tom Huggins. "Youth, it's wasted on the Young":)

17. Energy

Energy

'69-'71 in Sterling (northern), ILL. 3rd and 4th streets. 3.5 mi long each, one way running east-west, all the way thru town, go over a block, all the way back. Late on fri/sat nights, once the factories shut down, you could catch "Beaker Street" and "Beaker Theater" on KAAY out of Little Rock, Arkansas on an ionosphere skip. 1095 AM on your dial. They played whole albums of the latest rock music. 1st place I ever heard the long version of Inna-Godda-Da Vida and Zepplin 2.

They also had "city tickets" (for burnouts, drag racing, open headers, slicks, etc) that cost ya $25/ea, but didn't count against your license. Went thru several cars then, but the last was a white 64 Impala. Ten of us has 63/64 Impalas and would cruise together on fri/sat nights (3rd and 4th streets were both 2 lanes except for downtown, where they were 3 lanes) .19/gal for the cheap gas, and I couldn't FORCE $5 worth into my 64!! :eek:

18. Energy

Energy

<TABLE id=post7334473 class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid" class=alt2 width=175>Location: Elmwood IL.

hey mixedupamx, I used to cruise there then too! I had a pale yellow 66 Impala, and my best friend had a dark green 65 mustang fastback. Hung at the Luau on N Knoxville and the Brown Jug out in Trivoli!

19. RDP

RDP
    from Kansas

We cruised the Santa Fe St. (The Fe) in Olathe, KS. It was good up until the early 90's.

20. drfreeze

drfreeze

tuesday night bike nite, wed nite car nite at Nathan's oceanside ny
    Hempstead turnpike ,rt231 deer park ave everynight of the week
    late fri night connecting hwy,Fountain ave east new york, south conduit,mount vernon, rt878 nassau exspressway

21. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

I was born and raised in Waukegan, IL and got my driver's license in June 1968. I spent a lot of time that summer "Scooping the Loop" on Genesee Street in downtown Waukegan in my parents' '65 Ford wagon. The following summer I bought a '65 Impala so I cruised a lot down there in that. There were hundreds of cars down there on Friday and Saturday nights in the summer. Those were the good old days.... :cool:

22. 32Gnu

32Gnu

Just like Foreigner....... cruised up and down Lake Avenue in Rochester, NY...

23. guido`s 40

guido`s 40
    from nebraska

central ave. Kearney, NE use to race on the then newly paved coal chute rd

24. robber

robber

We cruised around a section of old town Greeley, Colorado, back in the 60's. The cruise was known as "D Block" (for dizzy block) because the cars would go around and around, both directions. You could see one hek of a lot of cool cars and a lot of friends just out joy riding. From there we would race up and down either 8th Avenue or 10th Street to the burger joints, but always returning back to "D Block" to see who was there. At the time, I had a 60 pontiac Catalina with a 389; I put a 3 deuce set up with a T10 tranny in it. Gas was about 30 cents per gallon! Last Summer, The City of Greeley and the Police Dept. asked our car club,"The Igniters" to reinact "D Block" :)
    Here is a picture of my roadster taking part in the fun. The Igniters plan to make this a weekly or bi-weekly cruise all summer this year!

Attached Files:

25. 1950 silver bullet

1950 silver bullet
    from Austin, TX

I started out in south bend in cruzing the merry-go-round before i had a drivers licince....by the time i could drive it was shut down and we cruzed us-20 in mishawaka in those were the days when the law would pull you over make you pour out youre beer. Take youre weed and let you go !!!

26. 1950 silver bullet

1950 silver bullet
    from Austin, TX

one of my 50 stude starlights sat out on woodward for years the body and frame were pretty rusty but all four fenders were as solid as the day they were stamped-out. Not even a thin spot or pinhole. What a find !!!

Attached Files:

27. Cruiser

Cruiser

I remember the frosted Root Beer mugs too. Do you remember when the mugs became very heavy so they didn't hold as much Root Beer. Stopped cruising the A&W when they block off the alley which stop the cruising through it. Yes, I went to Barton Hill, Dana and San Pedro High, I lived in the big light green Victorian house on 2nd and Gaffey. The best hamburger was at the Hamburger Hut and the big basket of fries.

CRUISER :cool:

28. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

It was Stratford Rd for me too.
    Man I miss those days!

29. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Columbus, Ohio GREEN GABLES at Central Point, Mound &Central Ave. If you didn't have something that run you better just hang out and keep your mouth shut! We also cruised West Broad and gathered at the Big Boy. This was late 60's- 71 when Uncle Sam decided I should be a soldier for a couple years, it was all different when I came home in 73.

30. Wagonmaster2

Wagonmaster2

WHEN WE WERE IN CALIFORNIA IN 1969-70 we cruised Harbor blvd. from Huntington to Anaheim Also cruised Santa Ana Main Street and 1st street. Big Willie and the street racers were just starting up and you could find a christmas tree starting line set-up in some industrial areas near Anaheim where we'd race 'til the cops showed up!!