Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best State for Car Nuts?? HELP!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gas_Tires_Oil, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Kingman 'AZ. 90 miles to Las Vegas,60 miles to Lake Havasue City, 180 miles to LA.
    I drive my hotrod 360 days a year. I'm usually out of town the other 5.

2. DAVEG2

DAVEG2

I bailed from Ct. 6 yrs. ago. I live in Carlisle now, plenty to do here. Hershey, Carlisle 6 or 7 times a year, York nats. The only thing is the weather is only a little better than Ct.

3. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

My cousin just moved from Manhatten to Fairfield, CT. Her and her husband just bought a house there. I might try to visit this summer in Big Olds. If I do I'll PM you and see if you're still around.

Even if you're a girl??

and humidity :rolleyes:

4. jivin jer

jivin jer

A transplanted Seattle-ite puts in another vote for TEXAS. I'm trading 4 months of HOT for 100's of days of Seattle summer (when you could get it)- bright sun shine and '60s-'80s._

5. chris55

chris55

Florida! Just went to a carshow Sat.(1/7/12) It was in the high 70s and sunny. Thats why I moved here.

6. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

Yep, we are full.

Full of Anti-Car, Anti-Gun, Anti-Liberty far-left Eco nutbags.
    I grew up here, and moved back from Texas when I got out of the Army. One of the biggest mistakes I've ever made. If I can get the money together, and find a job before I leave I'll be back in Austin again. I've literally been all over the world, and Austin Texas is the coolest place I've ever been. The cars, the clubs, the music, etc....

7. modelamotorhead

modelamotorhead

I'm stayin' right here! in Spokane! havin' fun as usual!

8. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

I ‘m from Texas and I can tell you the best thing I ever did was move to SoCal, Texas was OK, Had more drag strips and the Barbeque is better, but that’s about it.

9. Gas_Tires_Oil

Gas_Tires_Oil

Yeah, but you said almost! Not all Yankees are assholes ya know.

Fairfield is where I grew up. It used to a true blue collar town. It still is in some respects but is more of a white collar town in my honest opinion. Look me up when you're in town.

10. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

As a long time hot rodder and drag racer, there's no where I'd rather live than in Kansas. Yeah, the weather gets a little cool in the winter, but we have wide open spaces to cruise your car, and friendly state laws for registering old cars. At least 5 drag strips, too. Most people don't want to move here, which is fine. Keeps our population down, just the way I like it.

11. V8Vixen

V8Vixen
    from South FL

You moved here for the weather? Have you lived here during a July-August period? lol. I feel like my skin is melting off...

I will say it's nice to be able to have car events 365 days a year, though... but South Florida events are usually just overrun with overpriced imports. *sigh*

12. mustangsix

mustangsix

I've seen hotter summers (100+) in Iowa than we usually get in Central FL!

My biggest bitch about the weather here is that it rains nearly every afternoon between May and November.:(

Roadster weather is in from Dec thru March!;)

13. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

Never said anything about assholes,, nor did i say yankees, But now that you mentioned it, seems like i've heard that before.

14. Gas_Tires_Oil

Gas_Tires_Oil

Whatever cowboy.Your earlier comment pretty much shows you're one. You and that guy from California.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  15. Gas_Tires_Oil

Gas_Tires_Oil

Definitely a much more car friendly area where you are now. Less people too I bet. What part of CT were you from Dave?

16. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

To bad its so full

17. scotts52

scotts52

I'll put my .02 cents in for Eastern Washington, and Idaho. Lots of fun here and pretty relaxed.

18. Bilt

Bilt

Kansas!!! Right in the middle of everything and some of the best car builders around. You can still got go to shows and people talk to you and leave the keys in your car and it will be there when you get back. Go to any shows anywhere in the United states and you already start out half way there. Its perfect!!!

19. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

Well, if you can stand the summer heat, I'll recommend Arkansas. From Mountains to flatland rice country, we've got some of the most beautiful areas to cruise in around, if you like the rural lifestyle.
    No inspections, low cost of living, low taxes, friendly people...I love my state. There are a couple of spring months that Oklahoma tries to wipe us out by sending tornados to us, and the winter can get a mite chilly, but it's usually brief.
    Got an uncle in upstate New York that's threatening to move thisaway now... $150 grand will buy you a very nice home, and in the country $100k will get you a nice one...

20. Gas_Tires_Oil

Gas_Tires_Oil

I've heard that Arkansas is just as you described. I know someone that retired there and he loves it. Never been there myself.

21. Car nutz aint them thos things you see hangin' off of pickup bumpers? There's lots of those around here.

All kidding aside, for ease of registration I woulod lean toward Kansas but sales tax is real high there. Cost of living is good here but we don't have a lot in the line of employment these days. I still am going to retire here, they don't seem to bother you much in this state.

22. BashingTin

BashingTin

Where is the Colorado Love! There's tons of guys here from Colorado.

My wife and I were both born and raised in California. We moved to beautiful Fort Collins, Colorado, 21 years ago from California. Yes, at the risk of being nuked, California is not all what it's cracked up to be.... I know, it's hard to believe. We will NEVER go back! :p

We just love it here. The hot rodding scene is bigger than you think. Some very high end car builders and some little shops that are doing some cool stuff too. We also have great car shows from the very large to small.

If you live on the east side of the Rockies, you get over 300 days a year of sunshine. The climate is very dry and arid, so hardly any rust. Lots of cars still to be found out on the plains. Smog checks only in the major cities. Straight forward system for getting tags (of course if you're a natural born a$$, then you will have problems).

Our unemployment rate consistently falls below the national average. The cost of living is typical of any large city in the country (a TON cheaper than California!), but extremely affordable in the rural areas. Very laid back place, super friendly people who watch your back, and did I mention it's gosh darn beautiful here?!

Colorado!

23. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

Come to Illinois. Unemployment is very high, which has lead to lots of foreclosures so houses are really cheap (down 20-30% since the meltdown). It's plenty warm in the summer and very humid too. Of course it gets cold in the winter. If you don't mind the unemployment, high taxes, temperature extremes from -10 to 110,and some of the highest utility prices in the country then this is the place to be!

24. When considering this type of move, peoples statements about taxes and cost of living can be misleading - it's really tough to know all the details and factors from food costs and heating bills to taxes etc. On top of that wages vary drastically from state to state.
    For instance, I live in Orange, County, CA - a fairly high cost place to live. If I wanted to move to New York City my cost of living would increase by 42%! But wages only average 8.1% higher, so I would lose about $25,000 per year. Conversely If I moved to Austin the cost of living is about 21% less, but the pay is also about 13.5% less - I would gain about $5,000 per year, even with a lower wage.
    Her is a really cool calculator to help you figure this out. http://swz.salary.com/CostOfLivingWizard/LayoutScripts/Coll_Start.aspx

25. mendoza727

mendoza727

An altered state for this car nuts mind. As for location I am bias towards Texas.

26. cooger

cooger

Naw. Stay in Ct. and keep your ideas. We don't need any more here.

27. zarbtime

zarbtime

Montana
    The good: rust free cars,no people,the cops only bother you if you bother them,very few insects,big sky,inexpensive living,no state inspection,clean breathable air,long Springs and Falls,short Summers,and on and on...
    The bad: short Winters ...
    Of course like any place else there can be exceptions to all of the above,but if you don't mind spending 90 to 100 days working in your shop during the Winter,Montana has a lot of pluses...just sayin'....

28. I think you should Move to AZ
    and if you do, before you go get the Local Paper
    sent to you so you can check out everything
    like Jobs, Houses, & the Economy etc.
    I lived there for 10 years
    and regret the Day I left Tucson,

just my 3.5 cents

29. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

Gas -

WHAT??? You don't LIKE the long, cold winters, 6.35% sales tax, obnoxious relocated New Yorkers, salt on the roads, $600,000 houses on a 50 x 100 lot?

C'mon!!! It's not THAT bad :D.

Any mid-atlantic state will give you reasonable winters with the change of season.

Good luck...

Chris (Monroe, CT, not 10 mi away from you...)

30. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

not directly--you have to move to florida first. we only take half-backs. BTW--DMB and be a major PITA. after writing that feel like I work for NASA--LOL :D