Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best State for Car Nuts?? HELP!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gas_Tires_Oil, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Cutlassboy68

Cutlassboy68
    BANNED
    from Boone, Nc

I have no idea what your talking about... There is an annual property tax on tagged vehicles, which on pretty much anything older than 15 years old is less than 10 dollars a year... But titles are important on trucks, easy to get titles on cars...

2. 4t7flat

4t7flat

South east Michigan is The center of old car culture. Every day I have to decide which cruise or show I want to go to. Some days there are 6 or 7 events I can go to within 50 miles. The shows are a lot bigger than any thing I have found in Texas. The swap meets in Texas are few and far between,and most are like garage sales compared to Mich meets. South west Florida is also very busy with cruise nights ,every night,and shows every weekend. My wife is pissed that I cruise all summer in Mich,then come down to Florida and cruise all winter, I average 3 events per week,but I could go every day.

3. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I've got to put in a word for Alabama. Great climate, we get maybe 1 or 2 small snows a year, but it can get hot in the summer with the humidity. We have the Gulf beaches to the south, foothills of the Smokies in the northeast, rolling hills in the north west, flat in the central parts. We can run classic or YOM plates on anything older than 1975, classic plates only on stuff 30 years old back to 1975. Buy it once, never buy tags again! And no titles required on anything before 1974! Lots of cruise in's and shows from March until November. We do have a state income tax, but it's pretty low. Tags are pretty cheap too on OT rides. Our 98 Jeep is $25 a year, my 99 pickup is $80.
    I think only smog testing is in the major cities of Birmingham, Huntsville, Mobile, and maybe Montgomery. None in the rural counties. And no vehicle inspections, either! LOTS of guys get away with running open headers and sidepipes.
    Mandatory seatbelt and insurance regs, but just about everywhere has those now. And for sure, less big city crime! Come on down!

4. V8Vixen

V8Vixen
    from South FL

Excuse the off-topic question but what the heck is a gold-chainer? haha.

As for Florida, it is very hot. The car scene is big, however it's mostly newer, fancier ones here in South Florida. I live about 15 minutes from Moroso Dragway (which is now Palm Beach International Raceway, new owners, all redone). If it wasn't for my job, I'd probably consider moving... at least to northern FL.

5. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

6. fifTsix

fifTsix
    from TEXAS

Hahaha Thats funny :rolleyes:

7. The Continental

The Continental
    from Texas

Texas, California, or Florida

8. Any place your going to live has its good points and its bad. No place is perfect. For cruises, swap meets, hot rods on the street, rod shops, etc. and for the weather, SoCal is really hard to beat.
    But the state is decaying under our feet. Companies are leaving because of over regulation, taxation and high labor costs. Retired people leave because it just plain costs too much to live here. I heard that for the first time in 100 years people aren't coming in as fast as they're leaving.
    All that being said, Pomona swap meet this weekend, Winternationals and Grand National Roadster show coming up and it's 73 degrees.
    What will you put up with for what you want?

9. A name made up and used by folks that are extremely jealous of those who have done better in life and can afford to have things done by others the way they want it. It is considered a derogatory name on here.
    But the sad part is, by their own definition, folks like Bob Hitohata, Nick Matranga, or even George Poteet would be "Gold Chainers" due to having their cars built at substantial expense by top name builders - yet they fawn allover these cars.
    Just sad little haters ...... ;)

10. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Or, how about this... move somewhere you know you're going to hate, and take all of the possible disappointment out of the move! :D j/k

11. V8Vixen

V8Vixen
    from South FL

Ohhh I see!
    Thanks for filling me in, lol. Hope I don't start a battle.

12. To paraphrase the Beach Boys;

I been all around this great big world
    And I seen all kinds of cars
    Yeah, but I couldn't wait to get back in the states
    Back to the greatest cars in the world

I wish they all could be California
    I wish they all could be California
    I wish they all could be California Cars!

And then there is what they were really singing about - California Girls!

13. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

100% dead on...used to be the same word battle between restorers and rodders...the 'names' simply have been changed...

BTW, ColoRODo is both cold and snowy and hot in the summer...not much hot rod scene here...

R-

14. RFOSTER

RFOSTER

Texas its where it's at!!!

15. Energy

Energy

and we all know what you're full of!

16. Kyron

Kyron
    from Peoria Az

Az ...... no smog/inspections for pre67 or for cars registered out of Phoenix/tuscon

17. JeffreyPhipps

JeffreyPhipps

What a perfect definition. Should be in the dictionary.

18. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Have you been to Phoenix lately???

19. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

KANSAS ..... But don't tell anyone cause we like it the way it is and don't want everyone moving here and ruining it like cali. and texas.

20. I loved living in Maryland but there was not much car action there despite what TRJ says. Since moving to Atlanta there is something car related ever weekend year round. Cold is 45, little if any snow, no salt and no rust. Does get hot but all of the mid-Atlantic on down does. And no one here is from Atlanta everyone is from somewhere else. But I do have to say I would not live in much of the rest of the state of Georgia much too red and the populous is a bit on the uneducated side for me. Alabama is nice too, but not as much happenings going on. Check out southeastwheelsevents.com list a lot of what is going on down here.

21. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kansas Sucks , Oklahoma the roads have VW eating potholes so Okla sucks also.

22. kevin mac

kevin mac
    from toledo,oh

hi; just my honest opinion here.... dont make your pick one of the common wealth states....you/i thought we sucseeded from england.....they run the commonwealth like england ..... laws in pennsylvania suck.... try defending yourself here.....you go to jail ...no questions asked........virginia is similar......beware the common wealth states altogether .......lots of others to choose anyway/////k

23. gump

gump

I have been on many many forum for so many different things and this forum 60% helpfull and 40% haters and wannabes. I cant agree with you more, never saw so many people bitchin about stupid things like your levus arent periid correct or your sunglasses arent the right style for a merc with a chopped top. If you follow the masses on here you'll have the same car as everyone else. Done with my rant, i vote PA everything is cool here except inspection laws, if you have a perfect car unmolested types have no issues modified cut up and o god ill say it, even though the gods will boot me off for saying rat rods have issues getting inspected but ways around it so i heard lol

24. yblock292

yblock292

Kansas, years ago kansas was ranked as the largest car collector / hotrodders/ customizers in the country. But that was a long time ago. But we do have a very large number of kustom and hot rod guys here.

25. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Left CT 10 years ago for central Ohio, have not regreted it for one moment!
    Had a business in Shelton, and a home in Stratford.
    Too many crazies there, had to get away from it
    G.G. nationals here, National Trails Dragway, Pacemakers Dragway, Marion County Dragway all within 40 minutes fo my house!
    Started my own cruise night 8 years ago, not as big as the Donut on 34, but still a good time and great people!
    Cut my cost of living by a 1/3 and have a nicer home!
    The weather although not as warm as down south is not nearly as harsh as CT in the winter.
    PM me if you have any ?s

26. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

27. peddlr

peddlr

Yepper all this and by the way. Winter last year was on a Tuesday if I remember correctly...

28. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

We are almost FULL of northerners, Florida needs More

29. Special Ed

Special Ed

Hahahaha.... yes, but your rather warm Texas summer lasted for 9 months. :)