Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best State for Car Nuts?? HELP!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gas_Tires_Oil, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Gas_Tires_Oil

Gas_Tires_Oil

I'm planning on moving out of CT. Way too expensive, crowded and it's just not the state I remember when growing up. Ct Dragway closed down in the mid 80's. New York City has almost made Fairfield county CT into another burrough of NY. My ex-wife lives here, Cold winters and on and on....

I've had it with CT. What is the best WARM state to live in? HELP!!!!! I'm thinking Florida mid atlantic side, near Moroso Dragway.

2. George

George

Not only is Fla. warm, but there's no State income tax!:)

3. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I hear there is quite the car scene in Lake Havasu, AZ. But it might be all retired gold chainers and street rods, not sure...

4. Cutlassboy68

Cutlassboy68
    BANNED
    from Boone, Nc

NC stays fairly warm and we have all kinds of race tracks, junk yards and lots of cars still hiding out waiting to be found...

5. Gas_Tires_Oil

Gas_Tires_Oil

Yeah but are Yankees welcome down there? ;)

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

don't come to California, we are full.

7. Cutlassboy68

Cutlassboy68
    BANNED
    from Boone, Nc

We like everyone where i live... Unless your from florida and stop in the middle of the road to look at leaves or snow (im in the mountains)

And forgot to add, here you can put a tag on your car from the year of the car, and it doesnt have to be registered to that car... Or any older cars have to be inspected, etc...

8. i always make my pull for AZ most of the state is wide open, we only have smog checks in phoenix and tucson lots of non rusty cars that are begging to be restored, and the cost of living is pretty dang low in most parts, however jobs can be sparse our healthcare sucks, and local cops can be quite the dingleberries, but being an ex masshole transplant i wouldn't trade it for the world :)

9. Gas_Tires_Oil

Gas_Tires_Oil

Don't worry, aint gonna.

10. I lived in Florida all my life and now live in the Georgia mountains.
    Florida isn't warm, it is hot. Any outside work means instant sweat. Georgia is full of half backs, people from up north that retire to Florida, couldn't stand the heat, and moved half the way back to Georgia.

11. davidh73750

davidh73750

come to Oklahoma! You are in the middle of the mix. lonestar show down south, salina kkoa show up north, stray kat 500 by tulsa along with a good mix of other shows. cost of living is much less too.

12. Michigan-it's like 50 degrees today and you can tag nearly ANYTHING here with no inspections!! :D
    Woodward, Gratiot, Back to the Bricks cruises, Car Industry, Car Nuts, not too far from Indy Nationals, Indy 500, NASCAR at MIS, ARCA at Toledo, Detroit Grand Prix, Milan Drags, Ford, GM, Chrysler and Gilmore museums, A&W, Sonic Drive-Ins, spotting future production cars wearing camo...and most of all, a region that understands the importance of cars, the car hobby and car industry. Harrrumpph !!!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  13. scrubba

scrubba

Currently, I'm in Virginia . I have looked very seriously at North Carolina and weighed it in . I've lived in Arizonia , ( Seen the Gold chainers , Los Angles rejects . I've lived in both Houston and Dallas. Texas has some real fine attributes . I like ( MOST ) of the folks , however , there are some Antique car laws that kind of suck , LIKE VIRGINIA's . I certainly would NOT recomend Florida though ............! scrubba

14. NC has some kind of annual tax deal on cars which if not paid means the car pretty much has to leave the state to get back on the road; they're also pretty rough on registration only cars if you have that.

A friend of mine lived in Florida and while there's no state income tax he found it wasn't really any cheaper than NY state; he was telling me he actually had to pay for a permit to park his own car in his own driveway there, he got some hassle because to avoid it he kept cars registered in NY (out of state plates were exempted). Maybe that's just in some places, seems hard to believe that could be a statewide thing.

15. seatex

seatex

Damn surprised no one has mentioned the center of the known universe...........AUSTIN, TEXAS. (no state income tax here, either)

16. flathead okie

flathead okie

Yep, and tornados, drought, earthquakes, and blizzards. Oh my...:

17. sir

sir

check out OREGON....great car place, great people, and you can still get a great country home with land to put ALL your stuff....GREAT place for kids too....

18. bob35

bob35
    from DFW, TX

I was gonna say Texas in general... in the Dallas area myself. Having grown up in N.E. Ohio, I seriously LOVE being able to enjoy my old cars all year round... with car shows all year round to boot! Plus... Texas has some very solid, diverse economies with lots of opportunity and excellent resistance to recession... plus they still allow YOM plates on old cars... plus no state income tax. And even more... this place is road trip heaven! I can go from mountain to desert to swamp to open plains... all without even leaving the state. That's seriously awesome :)

Granted, I really don't dig the staggeringly hot mid-summer days... but there sure as heck is a lot of other reasons to like Texas.

~Bob

19. H.G. Wells

H.G. Wells

Texas, the state that thinks it is a country. No state income tax.
    Beaches, forest, trees, desert, good economy (13th largest in the world).

20. LowMOJO

LowMOJO

I second That!;) Not to mention some of the best and biggest carshows around, Lonestar Roundup ,Hot Rod Hoedown, Pistons -N- Paint and the list goes on and on! Seasonably great weather except for mid summer, it can be in the triple digits for 3 months so if you do come down here during that time top off your radiator! By the way did I mention that Texas is and the best place for great food and hospitality too!

21. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

TEXAS, the Lone Star State that was a country. No state income tax, great economy, friendly folks, relatively cheap land and housing, beautiful beaches and coastal islands, beautiful rivers and lakes(all except Caddo mad-made), Big Bend National Park, Garner State Park, East Texas Piney Woods... man, now that I think about it, this IS Heaven.

22. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

For hotrodding, best done in the state of Poverty, or the state of Intoxication!

Lake Havasu has a big scene, but it's unbearably hot and all gold-chainers.
    Tucson is pretty damn good!

23. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Texas for sure. Might not recommend Waco though.

24. DERPR30

DERPR30
    from HARVEY LA

I would have to pull for louisiana here in the heart of the gulf coast

25. tejas34

tejas34

I have lived in TX...PA...OH..TN.. and KS. My choice would be Central or South Texas.

Best Street Rods in the world!

26. Gas_Tires_Oil

Gas_Tires_Oil

Wow! Texas seems to be where it's at!

27. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

Sorry but nothing beats Southern California for a "car nut".

Not just a show here and there or a a cool event that you can drive to... but a 100% full time car scene. The major shows, the minor shows, the nightly cruis-ins, the shops, the builders, the history, the 1000 differnt cool venues for car evants, and the weather to enjoy them all. Regadless if your into customs, rods, lowriders, lifted trucks, minitrucks, VW, bikes, etc... it's all in So Cal in a major way.

There are planty of reasons to hate living in CA ... but the car scene is not one of them.

28. H.G. Wells

H.G. Wells

I lived in so cal. Best way I can describe it is people there had a certain arrogance about being from California, Texans have pride.

Sorry.....I am actually an Okie, but got here as fast as I could.

As far as car culture, you bet so cal is the birthplace. But I never want to live there again.

29. For a true "traditional" hot rod area, forgetting economics/housing/weather/employment/etc., I would have to think the Austin-to-OKC corridor would be tops.

Central NC is pretty darn nice, though! Anywhere on the I-85 corridor would be my choice, with teh I-77 corridor a close second. Given a choice, I'll never leave NC again!

30. Drag'n 59

Drag'n 59
    from DALLAS, TX