Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration The Bomber Jacket

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

Just had to add this.. My dad's favorite pilot, James L "Two Gun" Brown. Jim received that nickname from wearing 2 colt45's!. The back of his jacket reads "The Sting of Death" referring to the B-25 that he flew as Co-pilot- When the Group converted to A-20's , he named his plane for his brother who was KIA at Anzio.. In the 8th Sqdn, usually a plane was assigned with a letter for the rudder, the first letter of the guys last name. Well, that was taken, so Jim requested the question mark.. Jim went west 2 years ago.. Sure do miss him!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Gigantor

Gigantor

These are fantastic! I LOVE the Tantalizing Takeoff one. Is it just me or is the 8th squadron in the back and the arrangement of the bombs forming a V indicative of another famous symbol we all know and love?

3. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Tantalizing Takeoff is my favorite also. Great graphic, it's got it all! The typeface, the babe, the wings. Outstanding!

[​IMG]

Thanks for sharing that link Ryan!

4. autobilly

autobilly

Cool observation Gigantor, I missed it first time.

5. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

6. My Favorite.

Attached Files:

7. MUNDSTER

MUNDSTER

I have a booklet on VMFA-321, The Hells Angels. A Marine Corps Fighter Attack Squadron, that went from WWII through Viet Nam. It is interesting to see how the insignia evolved and why. I wish I knew how to post it.

8. Gaters

Gaters

Great! Love this era and been thinking of a cool design for a Bomber Jacket to commemorate the original owner (my 2nd cousin) of my roadster. Just need the doe. I think I'd have CheaterRome do the work. Seen his stuff in another thread along time ago.http://www.picturetrail.com/jrome

9. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

Not much here that hasn't already been written. Personally, seeing the jackets reminds me of the nose art which I really like. I am most impressed with the amount of bomb runs that are shown on the jackets. 30 or more runs is a lot of time staring death in the face. I knew a couple WWII aviators before their final roll calls and feel lucky to have met them. Truly the greatest generation. Thanks Ryan.

10. DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez
    from Houston

WOW!!!

Thanks!

11. 4psi

4psi

To cool!!

Those jackets are awesome. The sad thing is I couldn't even wear one of those jackets inside my hangar at work. Trust me I know (funny story). Those would be considered sexist by todays standards. I get to see plenty of great nose art. Some art is saved, most are not.

12. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

mine............

[​IMG]

13. Harms Way

Harms Way

OK here's a question for you,....

What kind of paint did they use on the originals?,.. Do they use the same type of paint on the reproductions today ?

14. 31fordV860

31fordV860

I changed my avatar when i saw these on flickr a couple of days ago..and was thinking the same thing, a bit OT but very cool...

15. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

If you are looking to have a jacket done with this kind of stuff, I know these folks from back in my aviation days and they do nice work. http://www.victorygirl.com/

16. goetzcr

goetzcr

Not much to add. Great artwork. Not only are these guys heros with balls o' steel, many of them had SWAGGER, too.

17. Westco48

Westco48

I'm curious why some had the swastika on the jackets.

18. Very cool! I love stuff like this. :) I still have my Dads jacket (he was part of a PBY crew in AK) I have his leather helmet also. no cool artwork but it's real USN issue. I used to wear it riding my HD back in the day but it started to fall apart so it got put away.

19. # of kills. If you were a gunner you didn't have your own plane so you kept score on your jacket.

20. [​IMG]

"Build To Order [Bombs] of [the] European Theater [of] Operations"

21. 4psi

4psi

BTO = Big Time Operator.

22. Lucky77

Lucky77

This thread made my week, awesome.

23. I knew you would dig on those, Ryan and glad it made it into a post - the photos are just amazing, love how they shot them out in front of the planes. "Salvo Sadie" was my fave, obviously...

24. 66Coronet440

66Coronet440

Great write-up and the images are cool as hell. We owe those guys a big debt of gratitude. Thanks for posting them up.

25. Django

Django
    from Chicago

I've been wanting to do a jacket with the art from the B-24 or the C-47 that I painted for the longest time. I just can't seem to find the time. I think after I do the P-51 next month though, that one will be the one that finally will end up on my jacket.

Check out Art of the Flight Jacket too. It's a great book with vintage photos like these and color photos of surviving jackets.

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Flight-Ja...7943/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326213108&sr=8-1

Years ago before I got hooked up with painting aircraft nose art, I designed this art and Dan Barnett painted it for me. I wear it all the time.

[​IMG]

26. Gaters

Gaters

Yeah! I dig your jacket. I need one like this for my roadster. Shoot I need one to wear all the time too!

27. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

Here's a poor pic of my A-2.. The Gunners patch was my dads, and the 8th Sqdn patch came from one of their Reunions. What I like best is whats on the inside. At the last "Official" Reunion, I had the Vets sign it for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. 62rebel

62rebel

i'd write it in my will that i'd be buried in a jacket like that if i had one.

i used to love to watch WW2 documentaries, etc.... but it hit me once that every time they showed a bomber going down, as many as ten guys were dying. they paid a hell of a price to keep us safe and didn't flinch.

29. Wesley

Wesley

We have my father-in-law's bomber jacket. Clarke was a B-17 pilot that flew 37 mission and never lost a man

Attached Files:

30. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

I've always loved nose art. Looked for years before I finally found this photo of the art on my great uncle's plane earlier this year. Plane went down with another flight crew on it. granddad's didn't have a name. have friend in his late 80's was a nose art painter. he still paints daily and teaches classes.

[​IMG]