Register now to get rid of these ads!

(Round 2) Just another Model A build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vintage Vandal, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

I fabbed up some recessed plate to lower the radiator about an inch and bolted the radiator to the plates
    [​IMG]

2. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

I was able to trim the 1930 shell about an inch a half[​IMG]

3. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

Here is the end result. I think it fits the body much better now[​IMG]

4. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

5. deadbeat

deadbeat

hey bud,diggin your build thread.Great job you doing.Just wondering who made your radiator.Size etc? Cheers

6. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

The radiator is made by "Rand". Its a cheapy off of eBay. I have no complaints so far. All in all it seems like a quality part, maybe not for a show car, but good enough for me. Only 250.00 shipped! here is a link:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380347338803

Here are the specs from the eBay listing:
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Approximate overall dimensions of radiator core (Just the finned area) are: 20" H X 17" W X 2-1/2" T
    Approximate overall dimensions of radiator body (Including tanks, but not including mounting brackets) are: 25-1/2" H X 17-1/2" W X 3-1/8" T
    Approximate width to outside of upper mounting brackets is: 19-1/8" W (This can be adjusted some, by bending the brackets in or out.)
    Approximate width to outside of middle mounting brackets is: 20" W (This can be adjusted some, by bending the brackets in or out.)
    Approximate width to outside of bottom mounting brackets is: 20" W
    Approximate height from bottom of radiator to top of middle bracket is: 4" H
    Approximate height from bottom of radiator to top of top bracket is: 21-3/8" H
    [/FONT]

7. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

I should also add that this radiator will NOT fit the 28-29 shells, even though it is listed that it does. It is just too tall. I didn't plan on using the 28 shell anyway, but I would have been pissed if I was!

8. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

I finally got my ididit "old school" column in today and I was pretty impressed with how it looks and feels for 129.00 buckaroos. Its a simple "cut to fit" setup and looks appropriate for this car. [​IMG]

9. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

A mock up shot before I started cutting shit up. I kinda like this look![​IMG]

10. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

I cut the steering shaft on the box and fabbed up a simple column drop out of a piece of 1.5"ID roll bar tubing and some 3/8" tube for the bolts, as well as some bent tubing for the drop.[​IMG]

11. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

12. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

13. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

14. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

The end result tacked in place. Cost=$0.00[​IMG][​IMG]

15. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

I bought a small sheet of expanded metal at the hardware store and cut it up for a grill shell insert. Im not sure if it will stay but it will work for now. Im still looking at other options.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

16. That steering box "mount" has got to be the most unsafe thing i think i've ever seen..

17. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

Safety is over rated!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  18. Knoxville

Knoxville

I think SOMEBODY's upset with how cheap and plentiful our vintage cars and parts are here in the States....

19. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

20. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

A mock up of the original visor raised a few inches similar to the 30-31's[​IMG]

21. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

Now trimmed up and tacked into place. I actually like the original visor placement but I could use the extra visibility [​IMG]

22. deadbeat

deadbeat

Thanks bud for the info,much appreciated.Getting ideas for mine

23. kevin mac

kevin mac
    from toledo,oh

body in back of truck looks like it used to belong to bonnie &clyde...thier last car

24. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

I filled alot of holes up so far ..but many more to go

25. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

I have been slaving away every night on the car... but nothing that photographs very well. I got the motor fired, a stout th400 built, a drive line made, both front and rear axles mounted. I had to pie cut the front bones in order to bring them up to the frame brackets and retain correct caster angle.Everything is coming together nicely and just about ready for a final disassembly.

26. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

Here is a couple pics taken in my disaster of a garage before I start tearing it down. Building a car sure makes a fuggin mess![​IMG][​IMG]

27. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

I welded on some nice Pete&Jake's Headlight/ shock mounts in place [​IMG]

28. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

And the Full tear down starts, I hope to have it all put back together in the next few days.[​IMG]

29. I'm certainly not upset. I bought up about a grands worth of rare parts from you guys and had them brought over here a few weeks ago. Suck on that :D

Yes but the exception is Travis Pastrana isn't going to kill anyone but himself jumping out of a plane without a paracute. This kind of attitude is frankly fucking arrogant and stupid.

As is this..

You need to remake that steering box mount because that shit looks like it'll break in no time at all, then you'll be cruising down the other side of the road and soon enough you'll kill someone.

This is what our rules require we run over here for a steering box mount. I've used a '40 box on my Roadster and by the rules, we are required to run a plate that is minimum 12mm thick. I have only tacked it in these pictures, but it illustrates what you should have something similar to.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. 29sportcoupe

29sportcoupe
    from arizona

You have rules that dictate how thick a steering mount has to be? Ohh thank god I live in the good ol USA! No rules, just the occasional guy drifting into on coming traffic.