Register now to get rid of these ads!

Power steering question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dolsen37, Jan 8, 2012.

1. dolsen37

dolsen37
    from Nebraska

I need your help.

I started my 50 Merc today for the first time 351 Windsor/AOD. I installed 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee power steering box (went in very nicely, adapted to original Merc pitman arm). I am using Ford power steering pump.

Problem: Started car and wheels turned by themselves to the right. I've done some reading and some advise to adjust the power steering box valve. Is this correct? Where is the valve and how do I do this. Also not sure if the pressure from the Ford pump is not correct for the Jeep box.

I need all the HAMB power steering experts to help me out.

Thanks
    doslen37

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Pump pressure is not likely the cause of this problem. At the input shaft of the steering box there is a torsion bar that operates a valve that applies power assist to the piston in the box. Unless that valve is moved from center, by rotation of the input shaft, there should be no movement of the box internals.

You may have a defective box, or stuck valve, that accounts for this. The only difference a mismatch in pressure would likely cause is how much assist would be applied to the power piston, either too much or too little. But either way, it should not move on it's own.

One other thought.......are you sure you had the steering box "centered" when you installed the pitman arm? I don't think that would cause this problem, but I am less sure about that than what is written above.

Ray

3. toddc

toddc

Do you have the hoses fitted the right way around? Putting pressure on the return line and vice versa could do it.

4. Have you bled the system by turning the wheel lock to lock several times, engine off? Jack the front end up so no weight on the tires. Fill the reservoir and cycle the box full left and right several times to get any air out of the box.

5. Hey was that one of my kits you used to do the install or did you make your own? Anyway i have had that happen to me once or twice. It turned out to be the internal valve not working properly. I once installed a rebuilt volarie box that i bought from napa. I made a big mistake and reached from the outside of the car thru the window, steering wheel and started the car. For a second i though it was gowing to twist my arm off.

6. Oh that would be to easy but he could be right

7. dolsen37

dolsen37
    from Nebraska

Thanks for the advice, yes I did center the box, not sure if lines are hooked up correctly, I'll have to check on that.

Dan

8. dolsen37

dolsen37
    from Nebraska

EXK, thanks for the reply, no it is not your kit but I did research your stuff before I cobbled this together.

Dan

9. dolsen37

dolsen37
    from Nebraska

Do these boxes need to vent out of the shaft? I noticed the shaft (steering knuckle attaches to) is not solid. Does fluid move up into the shaft?

10. dolsen37

dolsen37
    from Nebraska

Thanks HAMB,

Problem solved, air in the system. Bled by removing cap and turning wheels several times lock to lock with wheels off the ground.

dolsen37

11. You're welcome. We all need some help now and then. Good thing yours was an easy fix.

12. butchbov

butchbov

On my 49 Ford the horn wire goes up thru thr steering shaft.