Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why cant you flip and axle????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by iwanaflattie, Jan 2, 2012.

1. That would work except the pinion wouldn't be centered. I see what you're asking.

Also on the later rears the ring would hit the back of the case, if you recall the later rears have a reliefe for the ring gear.

You are talking about flipping the housing and then putting the the chunk in right side up, correct. You may also have a problem with axle fittement. I would have to think about it but I think that you would have a prooblem with axle fitment as the axle housings are different lengths and the long axle would end up on the wrong side. The long axle passes through the differential and the short axle does not.

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if you were to flip the axle, then flip the steering box to the other side of the frame so it steers in the opposite direction that would fix it.:D

3. iamben

iamben

I geuss maybe I did not explain myself either that or I am very stupid!!! If you keep the center section in the same relationship as it was when the factory installed it and remove the center flip just the housing and then reinstall the center with the top of the center section still facing up will that bolt together or not? I am not saying this is a good idea or that its quicker than just rewelding the damn pads I am just wondering for wonderings sake if that would work.

Edit:

PB answered my question.

I'm not exactly a "rearend" guru yet!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  4. Cool so for those who cant weld and want to flip the axle under/over the springs Its not possible to flip the entire axle side to side.:)

5. You can post anything you want with that avatar!

6. None of us actually are, some of us claim to be and others of us have just screwed more stuff up than most. It is a longevity thing. I have been playing around with stuff for a very long time it stands to reason that I would have screwed up more stuff than someone just starting out. :D:D

7. Harms Way

Harms Way

Yeah,.. the casing has a clearance or relief in it for the ring gear,.. so it would be on the wrong side,.... Seriously,.. cutting off the old pads, setting the new pads under the axle & on the springs, setting the pinion angle,.. and buzzing it would go a lot faster than all the monkey motion of even trying to flip it.

Not to mention that on some rear axles the "Dummy Proof" mounting flange for the backing plates would be upside down,.... and so would the wheel cylinder and the function of the brakes,... And again,.. the vent hole would also be a issue,...... All this work for the sake of not wanting to weld on new axle pads ??????

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Actually last I checked it was about all I could do to just drag one across the shop, I just not as young as I used to be. But I'll just about bet that ther was a time that I tried flipping one. Probably way it is about all I can do to drag one across the shop today.

9. iamben

iamben

10. afaulk

afaulk

I got a headache, standing on my head trying to figure this out-- thanks Porknbeaner!

11. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Thanks for digging up the clip of the Junkyard wars flipped rear dragster Nick!
    http://youtu.be/Gs0U9qqZn80

Was cool to watch it again..............

Anyone catching this but missed Nicks post #87, forward ahead to 40 minutes to see how the flipped rear was done.......<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

12. Just wondering here again...
    Has anyone fabbed their own pads???
    It looks to be a pain in the arse

13. I've made a lot of them over the years. The pain in the ass factor has to do with the width of the springs you are using. Laying out the center bolt hole and axle notch is pretty straitforward. A big hole saw in a drill press is a real help in keeping the cuts where you want them.

14. What did you use material wise,some 2x4 1/4inch wall???

Another bored out of my mind question...
    How does a marine engine spins backwards exactly???:confused:

15. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

Special cam, water pump & a few lesser things I do believe. There must be somebody here who has done it.

16. Reverse wound starter and direct drive cam. That's it.

As far as the perches, I've used different materials, mostly depending on how much drop and the width of the springs. Box tubing is easiest obviously, and .188 wall is usually heavy enough. I've also built them out of 1/4" chrome-moly plate when that's what the customer thought was necessary...

17. dam cool.
    So if ya had a marine engine an actual flipped axle and a RHD conversion,you would have the perfect aussie car??

18. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

Tractor Supply, Northern Hydraulics, etc. in their trailer parts area, about $10.00.

19. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

20. 2manytoys

2manytoys
    from Fresno

In my misspent youth I flipped my axle over. When I found the car had 3 reverse gears and one forward I flipped the engine and trans over. I couldn't get the car to start cuz all the gas ran out of the carburetor.

21. good one.

22. badshifter

badshifter

Not so sure Manual transmissions would like having torque applied in the opposite direction. And an auto would not work at all.

23. MMMM always something,...
    Wel I guess we are stuck cutting them pads.:(

24. Porky's 1982.
    I think the kids mess with the transmission not the axle,
    They also take all the lug nuts off the other police car,this movie is full of cool old cars and trucks.

25. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

I answered this once already, so heres my attempt at sarcasum

Your doing it wrong, after you flip the axle, take the body off and turn it around and mount it on the frame backwards, then you will be going the right direction per the new front of the car, just the steering will be backwards and opposite, have fun.
    MrC.

26. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

why not move teh spring mounts and then mount it

27. This is reminiscent of the great scene in American Graffiti where the cops are sitting in the front row of cars on a used car lot, kids chain the rear end of the '62 Ford cop car to a well-anchored post, then buddies of the guys who chained the cop car come flying by, cops try to give chase and yank the whole rear end out from under the cop car.

28. well I could always do this

Attached Files: