Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. easter

easter

2. Bill Chadbourne

Bill Chadbourne
    from Sonora Ca.

Old Age: That is not the car built in 1954, it was built by Marv Faw in 1965 at Van's Auto Body in Berkley Ca. The torsion bars and other parts came off of a Kurtis Kraft sports car that had been leaning aginst wall for years. Marv built chassis and body, he was a good aluminum man.

At the end of it's lift the old car had chevy in it. Bill

3. Dick L

Dick L

4. Bill
    Any chance that you may know of this car that was at the Minnesota State Fair, maybe the last dirt show, as this is not an eastern car and has a name on the side of Don.

Attached Files:

• # 14.jpg
      # 14.jpg
      File size:
      250.6 KB
      Views:
  5. Bill Chadbourne

Bill Chadbourne
    from Sonora Ca.

R B Blatz: I really don't know, i can only guess. The car looks a lot the car Don Brown sold to Keith Barker #3 car that Jay Woodside, and Eddie Levett drove. The name on the side looks like Don Brown to me. I blew the picture up but it gets too blurry. 1966 was my first time to the Midwest, it was a lot of fun for a 21 year old punk from California. Bill

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  6. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Easter, I agree Kuzma after looking closer.

7. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

Would be great to see some photos of Faws ranger powered roadster,most ranger cars look kind of odd because the engine is so tall.A friend dropped off May 1960 Hot Rod magazine with an article about 3 ranger powered roadster sprint cars out of Seattle Wash.The one name that was involved that sounded familiar was Del Fanning[?]

8. easter

easter

Bill and RB Blatz - Curt Grogan helped me identify these cars. I took the first one in 1969 at Topeka and the second one in 1970 in Tampa. Of course, the first one is Jay Woodside and in the second photo, the car on the left foreground is the car Eddie L drove. (That's my dad in the car in the background with Mac Clingan standing beside him) I'll bet you (Bill) can recognize the car on the right! Anyway, were these the two cars you were talking about maybe being the same car in RB Blatz's photo?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. easter

easter

Also, Bill, is that you sitting on the tires in the first photo? That's right where Jan's car was.
    Might be Don Mack. His car is on the other side of Jay's.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  10. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Could be Leffler but it's not (Larry) Dickson. Denny Z

11. Dick L

Dick L

Early 60's I think.

Attached Files:

12. Dick L

Dick L

This was in the 1970 IMCA yearbook. Doe's this help anyone?

Attached Files:

13. Dick L

Dick L

1969 Finishing positions IMCA.

Attached Files:

14. Dick L

Dick L

IMCA final 1969 standings. Hey Easter check out 51st place.

Attached Files:

15. easter

easter

Thanks Dick. Dad didn't drive much in 69, in fact he never drove a full searson with IMCA, just 6-8 races a year. He really wanted to go full time, but I guess he felt he had obligations at home, so he needed to work a regular job, too. The end of the 60's brought the need for sponsorship or a real rich car owner. Dad had neither. The car owners he drove for weren't interested in seeking sponsorship so they could get the best equipment. I seen him win at Winchester and Dayton - that took balls. I also saw him win at numerous dirt tracks in Ohio, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania in modifieds and sprints. Like thousands of other drivers - he always wondered: "What could have been..." I pushed him to be damn happy with what he did. Hell, you just showed his name in a book. The only book I ever was in was the phone book, but since I have my cell, I'm not even in there anymore. I've got a number of those old IMCA yearbooks, too. The original price was $1.00 each. Now, they're hard to find.

16. Bill Chadbourne

Bill Chadbourne
    from Sonora Ca.

Hi Easter: I think the car in Blatz photo and the one with Woodside are the same. If you compare the roll bar and the shape of cockpit sides and hood hold downs, it looks like the same car to me. Woodside 1969 and Levett 1970 both drove the same car, Don Brown built and drove the car before building the three roadsters with Joe Saldana. Bill

17. Bill Chadbourne

Bill Chadbourne
    from Sonora Ca.

Easter: No that is not me in pic. but i was there that day. Bill

18. 07shelby

07shelby

G'day Jim,
    Did you get the information you were looking for on the CAE grill ?
    I own the one in youe photo with the bondo so can get details if you still need them.
    The grill is about a 100 miles from your mate Mal Church in Australia.
    Cheers Bryan L.

19. DRTRACER31

DRTRACER31
    from Irwin, PA

Hello Baldtireman, I recently found some photos of one of Ross Westover's Olds powered Super Mod on another old time racing website. This started a photo search and I found some of Ross's Trevis Sprint - Super Mod. I Think there is one when the car was set-up as you remember. The earliest picture would have been from around 1959 were Ross was mocking up the car in his garage.

Attached Files:

20. fogs58

fogs58
    from ooo

some Imca action from New Bremen Speedway program

21. hopkins1

hopkins1
    from bedford pa

Denny,that is Larry at the Hoosier 100 on 9-12-92.

22. cg5

cg5

Not sure if that's Brown's car or the one him and Al Bartz built thats in the Woodland museum. Here's Don Brown at a BCRA show 1966 Hutchinson Kansas.

Curt Grogan

Attached Files:

23. tractorguy

tractorguy

Just a quick clarification of people mentioned on recent threads. Lee Kunzman was a talented midget, sprint and Indy car driver......never a builder. Eddie Kuzma was a talented open wheel/Indy car builder.

24. baldtireman

baldtireman

Wow.... Car was as attractive as I remember in it's roadster configuration. I think the roadster came first, as the car ran in central Pa. as a 30x90 upright at the Grove,and even at Pocono on the 3/4 paved oval in the mid-1960's. Would love to see more...... John S.:rolleyes::D:cool:;)

25. baldtireman

baldtireman

By the way.... wonder who the attractive lady is???:p

26. easter

easter

I was just quoting the site where the picture came from when I wrote "Kuzman". In 65 or 66 Dad and I were sitting on the car hood at a USAC sprint car race outside of turn 3 at Eldora (you could back then) when a couple young guys pulled up next to us. Dad and the one boy got to talking and became friends. It was Lee Kunzman. I always liked him. You are right to keep things clarified - it's important for history. Thanks for mentioning it.

27. Butch Evans

Butch Evans

Sorry Denny, it is Larry Dickson and he's driving his brother Tommy's and Max Britton's dirt car. I've been friends with the whole family for 45 yrs.:)

28. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Butch, It's OK I guess your correct. I haven't seen Larry since 1974, it just didn't look as I remembered him, guess my brain has a few leaks. How is Larry doing these days, he was a big help to me when I first got to Indy. Denny Z

29. Butch Evans

Butch Evans

He's doing great and looks the same except he's accepted the grey hair. He's still fit enough to drive if he wanted to. :)

30. easter

easter