Register now to get rid of these ads!

Jerry's 32 3 Window / Hemi Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HomemadeHardtop57, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Lovely work Jerry.I love the cheese grater deck lid....excellent.

2. slepe67

slepe67

Is it just me, or does everyone else see "modifications" like this and wonder WTF the "modifier" was trying to accomplish back in the day???

Jerry, nice repair. Loks great! Happy New Year my man!

3. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

4. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

makin it look easy, brother... nice!

5. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Got the inner decklid completely finished today. There was rot in each corner, some cracks here and there on the edges, and two large access holes that were torched in for external hinges they had on it. Cut all the crap out and put good metal in. Shot a coat of etch primer on the backside too. Tonight or tomorrow I'm going ot reattach the skin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. farmer12

farmer12

Still looking awesome, keep up the great work!!!

7. Jerry (HomemadeHardtop57) - Just found this thread ... Very cool build! ... but I do have to question why anyone in their right mind would want to build a channeled Deuce Coupe with a 392 HEMI and an Olds rearend! :rolleyes: :D

8. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Finished the decklid today and got the skin welded on.

I put POR 15 on the back of the skin before reattaching it

[​IMG]

Next, I used a Whitney hand punch to put a hole every few inches on the perimeter of the inner piece

[​IMG]

Put the skin back on..clamped it down and plug welded the holes from the back side

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! keep up the great work .

10. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

I ordered a set of decklid hinges and the panel under the decklid from brookville today. I want to hang the decklid and get the gaps right then I'll put the panel in underneath.

Got the doors primered tonight too..nice to see them straight and in one color..

Heading over to Eli's on Friday and we're going to fire up and break in the motor on the test stand..it's all ready to rumble...going to try to grab a video of that. Making steady progress.

11. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

We broke the motor in tonight on the test stand. Here's a video if it firing up again. The belt was a little loose and was slipping a little when we gave it throttle..but other than that it ran good with no leaks. I'll get the idle dialed in after I put the other carbs on. We ran the exhaust through some large quiet mufflers so we could hear the engine ...everything sounds good. I'm going to run a mechanical tach off the back of the generator eventually.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jSCVREmC90U?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jSCVREmC90U?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  12. farmer12

farmer12

Sounding good! I wasn't able to see the first vid.....thanks for posting! AWESOME!!!!!

13. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

U R not going to like that motor---It will not get good gas mileage--You should give it to me Ha Ha

SOUNDS GOOD,Jerry:D

14. Glad I found this thread! Subscribed!!!

15. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

Just a thought as I went through the mechanical tach off the gennie as well. Are you aware that pulley size is important for mechanical tach accuracy if you drive it off the generator?

16. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Yeah, I have a couple of different pulleys just in case...I thought of that. I should be able to get it close enough. What kind of Tach did you find worked best?

17. Koz

Koz

Damn! How sweet does it get. That thing is awesome!

18. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Koz, who posted above, is helping me get the frame back in shape and has done some killer work straightening the rails. After closer inspection it looks like both rails were tweaked up front pretty bad in addition to the soft spots in the rear kickup. The previous owner had a SBC and 4 speed and beat the heck out of the car. The unboxed frame really took a beating. There were even a couple bad spots that weren't fixed but leaded over. Things are now straight and square and just about ready to be boxed after a couple more areas are cleaned up.

I scored a pair of rear duece frame horns from Hemi Dave and they are now on the rails too.

BTW...That's Koz's sport coupe in the backround in the second to last picture below... if you haven't checked out his build thread yet you should. good stuff. He has a nice little metal/chassis shop right outside of Reading,Pa. Shoot him a PM if you need anything done..he's great..and is a good friend. Superior work.

some pics from today..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  19. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

My bag of poop hinge kit came today too...wrong hardware and incorrect hole spacing. Why would they send fine thread bolts for pretapped course thread holes..etc. Not going to badmouth who made it because they make some really nice 32 3 window steel bodies... I was mad because of what they charged me for the kit..you'd think they'd give you the correct 3 cent bolts. If you order these expect to have to do some work to make them usable...I guess like any other aftermarket part...rant over.

Allen and I installed the hinges after doing some surgury and re hung the deck lid. The decklid needs some tweaking but we got some nice gaps starting to take shape.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  20. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Now ya got me worried ....
    but the car looks FANTASTIC.

21. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Jeff, the hole spacing was correct for the decklid..but the long brackets that attach to the body braces with the pin that goes through the body were off. I had to enlarge the top hole on the body brace and use coarse thread hardware.

22. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

dude that hemi sounds GREAT!!! supa-cool!

23. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

We never did get the mechanical situation accurate. The car now runs an O/T electronic tach for vital info along with the OEM mechanical tach. It's a '56 Corvette. I have a Moroso mechanical tach that I would like to adapt to my Mallory mag someday for my hot rod.

It's amazing and impressive that you and your buddy were willing to put in many hours of labor straightening your framerails. Good for you for not giving up on them.

I liked your engine video too.

24. Koz

Koz

I did this after you left today. I didn't have the heart while you were watching!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And done.......

[​IMG]

25. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

hahaha...an offering to the gods of speed

26. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Thanks..no way I was going to not use the original rails. It's all about bringing the stuff back to life..that's what it's all about.:)

27. metalfaber

metalfaber
    from Nebraska

28. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Doors nice and strait and in primer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Damn... wanna send your body guy up this way for a while?

30. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

hehe...Donny is the best..and a good friend. I can fit metal all day and spray the paint....but I can't do bodywork like he can. I send guys his way for paint and bodywork all the time..so he treats me right when I need something done. He let's me spray at his place too which helps me keep my shop clean.