Register now to get rid of these ads!

Proper positioning of hub cap / valve stem / tire brand

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Frenchy Dehoux, Jan 6, 2012.

1. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  2. Welp since we are all confessing our weaknesses I admit it really bugs me when I see a carshow entry with windows all up (or down) and looking inside and seeing the window cranks pointing all different directions .... there I said it!

... or a outside door handle that doesnt fully return ... fix the damn thing!

3. cavman

cavman

OCD......that just ain't right!

4. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

I guess I'd have to admit I can't stand to see a show car that took years and $1000's to build and the stainless trim doesn't line up from one panel to another. That irks the shit out of me for some reason.

Sorry I didn't mean to get your tread off track.

5. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

Yea, my switch plate screws are all flat too and my window cranks are all lined up.

Ironing my underware? Come on......I wish I thought of that!

6. Rod and Wheeler

Rod and Wheeler
    from NOR CAL

WHY ????????????? most people that go to car events don't look for whats right or wrong. They go there cause they like car events and have a varied interests.

A mind is terrible to waste.

7. robber

robber

I have been involved with hot rods for over 40 years and didn't know that so many people were doing this! I don't know if I should be embarrassed or not. In retrospect, as a machinist and mechanical assembler, I strive very hard to make sure that all parts and assemblies are duplicated exactly the same way. The stem position to the tire brand makes sense. the cap position to the wheel and tire makes sense to me. As far as all 4 wheels sitting at 12 o'clock when the car is parked, I'm having a hard time with that. I run smaller tires on the front, so as soon as I start to roll, that configuration will quickly go away. At any rate, I will definitely have something new to check out on my fellow hotrodder's cars at upcoming events. It will be interesting to see how many rodders are actually doing this. As for me, do I have a full day ahead of me in the garage, fixing all of my babies shoes? Probably :)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  8. SmoKerch

SmoKerch

Ha! I go commando!

9. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Stainless trim not lining up, handles pointing the wrong way etc etc all grind away at me a little. It's someone not paying that much attention to detail for whatever reason. Detailing is having some patience, taking your time, doing it the best you can and having pride in what you do. I have to add i'm an assessor for automotive glazing qualifications so when it comes to detailing etc, i'm a little picky.
    Positioning of your tyre to win points at a show, well thats one thing, I'm not into show cars but it if floats your boat, all well and good. Doing it because your just fussy i can understand. For me it's the small, often tiny things that can tidy up an older car or make for a nice build. The kind of things that don't jump straight out at you and aren't about the money. Detailing isn't about money. If you looked hard at a car for some time you'd start to notice that some thought and love has gone into the car.

11. Master of None

Master of None

Isn't this some of the things that judges look for at some of the major indoor shows like the AMBR? I think its kinda cool that someone has taken the time and that kind of pride in their work.

12. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

I can see it now, back in the 1940-50's and the look on the tire busters face when you ask him to mount a tire with the name in a certain spot. And the pain in your posterior when he kicked you out the door.

13. Larry T

Larry T

Nope, but you have to do the inside too. :)

[​IMG]

14. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Jalopy Jim what helps with the tire guys and saves a kick up the ass is booze. I've been going to the same tire guy for 25 years, he's a legend, bad tempered old bastard of a legend but lovely guy, if you know him and catch him on a good day, which isn't often. Always been going in with weird requests/orders and telling him to watch the new paint/powdercoat on the rims many times. He's never scratched a rim or messed up a whitewall, he's looked after me and advised me well.

So every Christmas i drop off a crate of beer to the guys there, crack a few myself and keep them happy.

It's worth a crate of piss to keep in with them, kind of tradition now and we all need a helpful tire guy.

Saying that if i asked him to line up lettering he'd probably tell me to sort myself out:D Wouldn't be the first time!

15. Why wasnt this vehicle parked with the valve stem at either 6' or 12'oclock? ... oh the humanity! LOL

16. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

OK, OK, my head is about to explode. With all this anal tire mounting stuff there HAS to be a 'standard' that IN PRINT somewhere....anyone???

17. Larry T

Larry T

Man, you're right! The valve stem should have been at 6 o'clock which would have put one of the spokes at 12 o'clock and then I could have indexed the dust cap so that you could read the American sticker on it.

I'll try to do better next time. :)
    Larry T

(The scarey part is that I can think like that.)

18. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

Oh no, now I'm confused. I have Allen screws holding the spider cars on. How do I align those?

19. themoonshiner

themoonshiner
    BANNED

i just slap the tires on the rims and drive the hell out of it :D

20. Light switches, toilet paper... I confess!

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Dammit Larry, people look up to you on here. Try to set a better example. No wonder this place is going to hell in a handbasket!:D

22. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have too much other stuff to worry about.

23. TIN INDIAN MAN

TIN INDIAN MAN

Now my BROTHER would do that, if he has not allready.....I'm like one of the others, put it together and drive it..............all that other just takes time away .....

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

Now that is something I can't understand, slapping it together and driving it, don't you take any time to look at it? 99.9 percent of a projects life is parked, why not have something nice to look at, finished or a work in progress?

25. This is so wrong ! The switches move up and down (vertically) and 2 of 3 slots on a receptacle are also vertical. You need to with the grain not against it. LOL

26. The37Kid

The37Kid

I agree 100% vertical slots will allow cleaning fluids to drain, not pool up in the slot. However they should be horozontal on a vehicle for best aero effect. :rolleyes:

27. Use security screws. You know, the ones that the have the heads that pop off leaving a smooth surface.

You're Welcome,

Cosmo

28. blt2go

blt2go

it had to start somewhere. i learned it from they guy i worked for at a gas station in high school. he learned it from the guy that he worked for. it's just one of those things that shows pride in your work. i was just a tire flinger and black from my elbows down. this attention to detail was something that made me proud. i could spot tires i had done in parking lots all over the area.

29. grazy

grazy

Once the tire is on the wheel it takes nothing to spin tire on wheel to center wingfoot logo between good and year on valve stem . On the every day driver I dont care but on an old car that I give alot of thought about every detail of course why not. I would not want a crooked pin stripe down the side so why not put the hub cap so Ford is straight across with the valve at top 12:eek:o center . 99% of the population doesnt notice the 100 little period parts that I spent days walking swapmeets looking for so they wont ever notice or understand but you guys know all the small details matter. And I am by no means an anal show guy that spends all day wiping dust off . But as it goes together its gonna be right and nice .

30. I drove my '62 Vette with indexed caps to a NCRS show in Palm Springs. I'm jacking the car up and indexing the tires and my VW friend that came along with me says "exactly what in the hell are you doing?"

I tell him "picking the pebbles out of the tread and turning the tires so the spinners on the caps are all pointed the same direction"

He says "we don't have to do that at VW shows"