Register now to get rid of these ads!

Well, I've done it...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by theHIGHLANDER, Jan 3, 2012.

1. basicbob

basicbob

Congrats!

I turned that corner in 1982 & have been unemployable since.

One day I may have to be a greeter at Walmart but that day has not arrived yet.

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good luck with the new venture and the steps you have taken. There have been a number of times in the past 40 years that I wanted to do just that.

Do you have any examples of the wood graining you do? I've been pondering having some pieces done.

3. good luck, follow your dream. its nice to know that there is still people who wants to put in a honest days work and finds full fillment and a sense of pride.

4. Highlander , I wish you all the very best in your venture . You sound like you have your head and heart in the right place to make it all work out for you ( and your clients) .
    I'm probably in a similar situation at the moment to what you were , I run a small part time shop from home while working a "normal" 40 hr a week job which has not been real secure/comfortable recently so may also need to "make that break" like you have . Time will tell .

And again , best of luck - you'll go great.

5. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Ive done that for a few years until last summer now Ive worked for 2 different employers,Eventually Ill be leaving my new job,I get bored with one place...Every job is just a job,Its nice when you get respect which I have now.Not enough money.But treated good....Good luck to you...........

6. hey Jocko, valpo has a way better cruise nite now. it's on fri nite by the harley dealer on rt30

7. WDobos

WDobos

I wish you all the luck in the world. If getting something extra at Christmas was your reason to quit I think it's a poor one. I worked 43 years in the steel mills,I had to work most all of the holidays including Christmas and never got any Christmas bonus. Life goes on.

8. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Why am I not suprised to hear this? You probably don't remember but a few years ago we had a conversation started by me asking about your background and work. After you related your obvious knowledge and experience in the tough field of "exact" restoration I thought then that you were made to do this on your own and not having someone "skim" $$$'s off your efforts which is exactly what happens working for someone else.
    I'm the biggest asshole I've ever met so when I went out on my own (40 years ago or so) I knew if I went independent I would have to produce or admit to the guy in the mirror that I didn't have what it took. That was not an option after being raised by a man who NEVER was pleased by anything I did. He would have NEVER let me forget it if I had had to admit to failure.
    With your background, pride of accomplishment and work ethic you'll do just fine. One thing you'll have to get used to is everyone thinking your rich, can take a vacation any time you want, and obviously not having to work very hard.:eek::rolleyes::D

Frank

9. hemifarris

hemifarris

Excellent decision. With your great abilities and vintage connections you'll be fine. I wish you the best..........Mike Farris......friend of Dan Sommer, Brian Joseph and Kent Yugur.

10. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In my tenure there I was NEVER offered a xmas bonus, never was part of my terms of employment. You misread or assumed something in my post. My regular pay would be nice to get though, don't you think? It would also be nice to get my own money back when I spend from my own pocket to keep things moving. Yes, as dumb as that may sound to some, I was "all in", even to that degree.

Frank, I remember very well the few times we've met/conversed. I'm looking forward to having more opportunities to do that more often. I see this life, be it hot rods or restoration, as being something very personal. There's a special dynamic attached to that which some understand, others never will. You're right about the man in the morning mirror. He's been a dick my whole life!!:cool: Thanks for the props bro. Hope to see ya at the next 'Rama.

Thanks Mike. We've certainly rubbed some of the same dust out of our eyes in the past. I too have known Brian and Don for a long time. I think there's a cast of dozens that we both know well too. Like I said to Frank above, getting back out there is something I'm looking forward to. I hope we'll get the chance to get better aquainted this time around.

11. nutwagonfromhell

nutwagonfromhell
    from missouri

Dude I worked in my Father`s bodyshop since 2001 when I 17. like 4 years later he hires a bunch of more experienced and certified guy`s from a dealership, after that I ended up working on the stupidest jobs there.
    2 years ago we had a falling out, But I been collecting stuff to start a welding shop in my garage. Dont let nobody push you around or rip you off! Good luck!!!
    Someday I`ll get back on my feet, I just had a siezure in september, Once I get the right treatment I`m gonna kick some ass! BTW my last project was making my 97 Lincoln Mark 8 run dual exhaust, glasspacks and headers. It kills mustangs and Impalas.