Register now to get rid of these ads!

Aussie Icon-- The UTE

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oz40, Mar 3, 2009.

1. I think I should have looked a little closer, it is a Desoto......:eek:

2. Thanks to you too.
    Next time you see it come up and say G'day

3. olskl_dave

olskl_dave

Correct ,one suburb over, he's in Resavoir .......Chev ute, '34 sedan, and a '32 roadster....
    Regards Dave

4. mercurymitch

mercurymitch
    from Australia

This is my Mercury ute pic taken while in Launceston Museum
    [​IMG]

Okie Pete likes this.
  5. mercurymitch

mercurymitch
    from Australia

A Launceston ute
    [​IMG]

Okie Pete likes this.
  6. ehdubya

ehdubya

Mitch, I'm amazed to see your Merc with all it's up market trimmings has but one wiper. Thanks for the pics.

7. mercurymitch

mercurymitch
    from Australia

From what i understand Ford factory supplied commercials with one wiper one arm rest and one sun visor,you had to pay extra for the others

8. RobC

RobC
    from Australia

Couple more for the mix.

1936 Bedford, obviously suffering a slow death
    [​IMG]
    MkII Zephyr
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Aussie 40 deluxe ute i 'DUG' up just after new years, pulled the rear end and x member from it for my tudor and put the front and rear crossmembers and springs away for future use then put the body in the front yard of my mates mothers house... needless to say they got a supprise when they came back from holidays!!

Took most of the day to get the ute out of here.. been there since '68 and the farmer told us the whole history.

[​IMG]

Even came with a added minor tree complacation

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Okie Pete and jd34delivery like this.
  10. RobC

RobC
    from Australia

Nice find, that little bit of belt line trim behind the door is gold, very hard to find as an original item.

11. Thats handy to know! i also have the bonnet with all the trims and badges too

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  12. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice find. Cosidering the rarety of these utes, that almost looks saveable to me.:cool: How bad is rest of it?

Attached Files:

13. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

What makes a UTE an UTE, and not just another pick-up? AND why didn't they build them here too? Some models good pretty cool, other are ugly as s*#@.

14. I would say its saveable, although i say that as a panel beater who restores / hotrods vehicles for a living.

Here is a snap of the worst of the rot, and the obvious lowers behind the doors

[​IMG]

15. George

George

No seperate bed, Ford Ranchero was the 1st US version of the Ute, then the El Camino. No actual Coupe Utes here.

16. RobC

RobC
    from Australia

In reality it was not just the "no seperate bed", it was that AND passenger car comfort. This is the main reason those US built 1930 Model A specials can't be claimed as the first utes.

The whole point was to have a vehicle you could lug stuff around with but still drive around with the wife in comfort. Slice a coupe ute through the body right behind the doors and seat and everything forward of that point is 4 door sedan or close to it.

Cheers,
    Rob

17. RobC

RobC
    from Australia

Bonnet and doors are the same as a sedan though with the exception of the '41.

That's definitely a salvageable vehicle, I'll have to scan and post the pics of my roadster ute as found.

Cheers,
    Rob

18. ehdubya

ehdubya

Rob if you sliced my Plymouth through the front of the bed opening everything forward of that point is exactly a coupe, that's why I didn't buy a Ford :eek:
    'Station Utility' was a popular body style in oz well before the A, there were T roadster utes here too, most likely local bodies and I wouldn't be surprised if they were marketed as station utilities.
    There's plenty of trucks that got ute bodies and were marketed as utilities so ultimately it is just "no seperate bed".

19. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

From another thread .....

20. That Pop ute is so f*cking cool!!

21. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

I love these things. The only way I'd ever get one was to make a model of one. Took a '40 Ford delivery, whacked off the top, and graphed on a roof from a coupe. Even changed it to right hand drive.

[​IMG]

Okie Pete likes this.
  22. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

I see this one at Speedweek all the time.

[​IMG]

Okie Pete likes this.
  23. That is owned by the guy that does the Bonneville calendars. A friend of mine, his name is Tony Huntimer. I think the website for his calendars is www.huntimer-photography.com.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  24. RobC

RobC
    from Australia

There were plenty of variants globally. In Argentina you could buy coupes with a pickup bed grafted into the boot (trunk) opening at least up until 1948 and I know these were also available at least in Model A form in the US.
    The coupe ute as invented by Lou though was as mentioned previously, comfort and carrying capacity. We also had the ute (and roadster ute) type trucks too but they weren't exactly a passenger car derivative.

Cheers,
    Rob

25. ehdubya

ehdubya

I thought I dispelled that myth earlier in the thread :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. Ed Zackley

Ed Zackley
    from Hokeyhomey

El Camino and Ranchero. The two utes. As it were. Utes are cool.

27. Here is a 35 36??? is Willys UTE I chopped the roof on and extended the doors, The roof from standard had a rake, so under instruction i took 2" out the Back and 1" up front then extended and filled the roof

Aaron MS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

See the difference between the stock window surround to the reshaped and extended door

[​IMG]

door file finished

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Okie Pete likes this.
  28. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

i have to admit, the lines are much better.good work!!!

29. Yes most definately! we opted to extend and de rake because of the size of the rear of the roof, the pillar just looked too big for the little ute, the rear window was completely re worked and made slightly wider with a sharper radius on the curve into the window.

I did this job 2.5 years ago before i left the shop it is at, it hasnt been touched since which is unfortunate.

Aaron MS