Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1948 fleetline fastback

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 49 FLEETLINETX, Jan 3, 2012.

1. 49 FLEETLINETX

49 FLEETLINETX
    from odessa tx

ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO PROPERLY BRACE THE CAB OF MY 48 BEFORE I LIFT IT OFF THE FRAME?? THANKS!:confused:

2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

If a good solid body you won't have to, I presume it is the fleetline you refer to? I just used some lumber to get it up then swapped it for some 2"x2" RHS steel that I bolted in its' place front and rear before I lifted the body up on the stands so I could roll the chassis out. If a rusty floorpan or worse I would diagonally cross brace the body beforehand, door opening etc so it maintains its shape and integrity as best as you can. Last thing you want is to square it up again.

Attached Files:

3. 49 FLEETLINETX

49 FLEETLINETX
    from odessa tx

Mgtstumpy your good people brother thanks for the pointers. Sure you didnt take that picture in my garage? :)

4. hinklejd

hinklejd
    from Fort Worth

I lifted the '48 fleetline 4-door body off the frame without bracing, but I do have solid floors and I had the body stripped of everything to make it lighter. It's still a heavy thing though, so think about how you're going to lift it off before you just start lifting.

I used a floor jack with several blocks of wood to first get the body up off the frame, then slid in a couple 4x6 beams. Several more cycles of lifting, blocking, lowering the jack, blocking, and lifting and I had the body lifted up 2 1/2 feet so I could roll the chassis out. Then reverse the process until I had the body back on the ground. Took a couple hours, but I had the body separated and undamaged, and I did it all myself.

5. 49 FLEETLINETX

49 FLEETLINETX
    from odessa tx

Thanks for the advice. Glad i came across this website. I just came up on a 1946 buick today looks like ima start alot and not finish much! Dame these cars are addicting.

6. Von Buzz

Von Buzz
    from Minnesota

I got me a redneck fork lift, temporary roller frame too. cross bracing sure dosent hurt. V.B.

Attached Files:

• 332.jpg
      332.jpg
      File size:
      559.1 KB
      Views:
  7. SmoKerch

SmoKerch

Dangit! Coffee on the monitor!

8. 49 FLEETLINETX

49 FLEETLINETX
    from odessa tx

Wish i had one of those bad boys on my property!:)