Register now to get rid of these ads!

57-60 ford truck gassers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pops90gt, Jan 4, 2012.

1. pops90gt

pops90gt

Being a drag race person for a number of years, racing and building fox body style Mustangs. Recently very interested in nostalgia drag racing, having a few 57-60 Ford trucks setting in my barns. I was thinking of building one up. I have been looking for pics or ideas, so does anyone out there help me out. THanks:)

2. Uncle Scooby used to have a '59 or '60 that was his shop truck that was '60s gasser themed. looked pretty damed good. He had big n little American 5 spokes on it with cheaters on the rear and skinnys on the front. Left it sitting stock ride height and a pretty smooth interior.

Let me see if I can find a pic or two for ya.

Nope no luck can't get it the search to go back far enough. Maybe drop unclescooby a PM and ask him.

3. I don't think they raced many of those back then, it more about lightweight and big power. There are always exceptions. They make great racecar haulers, though.

4. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

like this one

Attached Files:

5. anteek

anteek

A barndoor has better aerodynamics.

6. TinShed

TinShed

LOL:D Dare to be DIFFERENT!

7. Verminator

Verminator

check out DirtyThirty's Gasser truck. 460 Ford powered, and laughs at aerodynamics !!!!

8. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

HA! Yeah, Pat....it's a brick alright. :D
    It's also in a million pieces, at the moment.:(
    As long as the Mayan's aren't correct it should be less parts and more truck again before 2013!!

Actually they are pretty lightweight for trucks, at least, and have a short wheelbase, plenty of room for tire and engine/headers, and are cheap as shit. I like those attributes...

Got some pics of it in my albums.....

9. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I would really be interested in seeing how the front end would be set up that you are going to use .
    I am going to be building a 50 Ford tudor gasser tis summer or next winter . I have a wide old Ford straight axel from the late 50's or early 60's that is heavy that I was planing to use . It's a 5 on 5 pattern but not sure of the exact year . I will be using a 1970 Ford 429 and 4 speed toploader for mine with a 4.56 or 4.88 rear . I am building this on a shoestring budget .
    I would love to see how your's does turn out . I love older Ford trucks but that's one thing I don't have .......yet .
    I am going to be checking out a 1930's early Ford truck today that would be a perfect candidate for a gasser truck too .
    Keep us posted !

Retro Jim

10. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

11. pops90gt

pops90gt

:)

The 57-60 trucks have the straight axel with 5 on 5 1/2 bolt pattern, I am thinking of changing over to a disc brake setup. I have a 302 that is bored an stroked to 360 with a C4 that is going in. Right now the cab is back on the frame, and getting the bed back in shape. I have a few of these trucks so I'm swapping parts . I also have another one that is going to be the tow vehicle, that one is the big back window model with a 460 .
    Thanks for any info.