Register now to get rid of these ads!

How much abuse can the Ford 3.03 take?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by havi, Dec 9, 2011.

1. havi

havi

I've got one from a '74 F100 sitting around, and I've thought about using it for something. But I'd hate to put it behind a big torque/high HP engine only to watch it fail right away. Does anyone have any numbers to their limits?

Sixhundred sixteen likes this.
  2. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

3. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

bullet proof...

4. the 3 speed version of the Top Loader trans.

I think the 2 barrel 390 is the biggest motor they put it behind

5. havi

havi

I think you are right. And I forgot to mention mine was behind a 302cid, so I'm assuming it's the 1 1/16th input diameter.

6. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

That's why I love this place, learn something new everyday. I have a 3.03 (but didn't know what it was called), if anybody needs one.

7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I've heard that you can install a top shifter in these by using the top plate from the Jeep 3-speed. Havent done it myself.

8. havi

havi

Heard the same thing. May try it if I can't locate a Hurst Indy shifter.

9. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

10. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

A friend bought a F-100 new in 1978 with one of these RUG overdrive transmissions behind a 300 six. He had to rebuild the thing two or three times in the years he owned it, they weren't very strong at all.

Junior Stock likes this.
  11. 4tl8ford

4tl8ford
    from Erie, Pa

Back in the 60's GM didn't have a three speed trans that would take the HP of their Muscle Cars - Pontiac engineers tried everything and they tore up with less then 10 launches - Finally is desperation they tried the ford 3 speed 3.03 Toploader and it withstood anything the threw at it including the Catalina's with the 421 Super Duty - They made a deal with Ford and used them for a numbers of years until they designed one strong enough to hold the power.
    Why were they so desperate for a 3 spd? - The insurance company's had declared that any car with a 4 spd manual trans was a high risk and they jacked up the rates.
    There are all sorts of posts on the INTERNET about the "Good" 3.03 vs the "Bad" 3.03 - Look threw the parts catalog and it turns out that the only difference's that you can find are gear ratio related IE the number of teeth on the shafts and the gears
    If anyone has any concrete info (Part Numbers) on the strong vs week please post the info.

12. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

Are you talking about the 4 speed, 4th OD? If so, yes those are JUNK.

The 3 speeds are pretty tough.

13. 4tl8ford

4tl8ford
    from Erie, Pa

14. rails32

rails32

I worked for Ford for 32 years the 3.o3 3 speed is almost bullet proof. A customer brought in a 65 Belair with a396 in it that had a 3.o3 colum shift in it. I remember put a clutch in it. He was an older man some kind of traviling salesman. I ask him about the trans and said thats the way the car was built.

15. Mattilac

Mattilac

Its a toploader minus one gear. They're about as strong as they come.

16. finn

finn

Local guy swapped a 3.03 into a 427 63 Galaxie R code to replace the destroyed factory T10. Seemed to hold up quite well.

The RUG problem was wear on the countershaft. I wore out 2 of them (countershafts) in my 6 cylinder 79 Ford Van.

17. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

We couldn't keep bearings in them on my 78 F150, my B-I-L's 79 F150, and a buddy's 150.

18. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I have one in my 27 that has been in there for over 20 years. It came out of a 68 Galaxy with a 390 in it. I have a Hurst Sycroloc shifter on it and it has never missed one shift or given me any problems.

Originally the car had a 302 but a year ago I went to a 331 stroker Ford and wondered if the trans had reached it's limits. But I just ran it at the BP drags, with slicks and some hard launches, and the transmission just kept on ticking along. You won't ever hurt it with a 302.

Don

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  19. tjm73

tjm73

There is a 2.42 three speed manual that I recall (and I could be wrong) has a larger input and was used behind the biggest of FE's in heavy cars.

The ratios are 2.42/1.61/1.00.

EDIT: Apparently GM used them in GTO's as well.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  20. 4tl8ford

4tl8ford
    from Erie, Pa

What I have found is the listing for three input shafts that correspond to the three ratios listed here - All 3.03 transmissions that I have seen all have the 1 1/16 inch input shafts - I have found only one input shaft bearing retainer and it is for the 1 1/16 inch shaft - I have seen mentions of wider synchronizer units but no part numbers - I have seen mention of a smaller front blocker ring but no part number - I have seen mention of the longer RAT main case but no part numbers that will account for the differences - I have seen listings for three different output (Main) shafts lengths and the can be accounted for by the 4x4 version, the truck version and the car version
    3.03 Toploader ratios
    2.99 1.75 1.00 3.17
    2.79 1.70 1.00 ?
    2.42 1.61 1.00 2.33
    GM used their own specs for the 3.03 and called it the Dearborn Transmission - The first of these were made by Ford and then by Borg/Warner - I have seen them, drove them, and raced one in a 6 cyl Altered - They were a tough as the Ford ones

I have a diagram of a generic transmission with measuring points for specific dimensions - If anyone would like to contribute to a data base please PM me and I will send you the diagram

21. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Falcon George,..YES you can !!!! Bulletproof, behind a Henry Flatmotor. For 3 speed units, get a CJ5 shifter, remove the rails and forks,...plug the side shift holes in the case, and you're in business . You do have to plug one hole in the case front, where the rail went thru.

There are 2 variations of the 3 speed toploader,...One being the small spline (input) T150 and the other is a big (input) spline, known as the "RUG" unit. Both can be converted by using the CJ shifter.

4TTRUK

22. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I wish I had some better pictures of the one in my 27 but this is all I have. Been running it for over 20 years without even having to put seals in it and it has taken some serious abuse. :D

Don

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  23. 4tl8ford

4tl8ford
    from Erie, Pa

The T150 was an AMC/Jeep version of the 3.03 that was a toploader Top shift it is the unit that you mentioned that you get the topshifter from
    The RUG Transmission is a four speed thansmission some of which are the weaker 3+1 OD units

24. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had one behind my hopped up A-code 289 and it survived alot of abuse.

25. Bar Ditch

Bar Ditch
    from Tacoma

Love 3.03's. They can take some serious abuse. Grew up on em and any time we could get our hands on one it was gettin used.

26. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

A friend in college (1974) had a '67 GTO with the 3.03 behind a 400. The trans had "fomoco" on the side.

We abused that car and it took everything we threw at it

27. havi

havi

My plans are to put the one I have behind a Ford 400 stroked to 434cid. Tim's dyno has these engines pushing 500+ hp and 500+ ft lbs at a pretty low rpm starting. I would anticipate with 3.73 gears that my Fairlane will get up and go plenty good even with only 3 gears. I thank everybody for confirming my thought that these are plenty stout.

Dick, I'll get those measurements as soon as I can..... sometime in the next month or so. We've been lucky that we haven't had hardly much snow, so I can still make my way down the trail to where it's sitting.

I've also heard these were used in "other" makes and models for awhile, too.

28. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

I had a couple that were close ratio with 1 3/8" inputs. They where from trucks, had the early narrow pattern. One had a short tailshaft, one long. They would have been in something like a '63 F100 with a 292.

This picture isn't one of mine, but that's what they looked like.

Attached Files:

• hef.jpg
      hef.jpg
      File size:
      187.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  29. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I bought a new Pontiac in '69 with a three speed. Trans had FoMoCo cast in to it. Kind of a surprise. I have used a top loader three speed in my Bonneville Vega behind a 460 (197 mph) and a 455 Pontiac (208 mph) and ity still works fine. I also have a fresh one with a Gear Vendors OD for sale.

30. My first car was a '56 Ford. I went through nine transmissions in 1-1/2 years. I put in a 3.03 and never tore out another.