Register now to get rid of these ads!

Good luck charm or Saint Christopher ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Frenchy Dehoux, Jan 1, 2012.

1. The Good Lord and His Son Jesus Christ

2. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

go to a Catholic book store

3. I used to have a solid gold 22 K I believe St Mary that a Nun pinned to my scody. She had seen me at the blessing of the motor cycles in San Jose the end of the Blood Run. She lived somewhere near me in San Mateo. Anyway I was on my way to hit the road for an adventure and she walked up and pinned me. She said she had it blessed and it would keep me safe. Funny she just happened to walk up as I was hitting the road. I carried it for years then gave it to a friend to have beat into a wedding ring for his wife. He was real broke and Catholic so I am sure that his wife really appreciated it.

If I can get Adobe to load I will post pics of my lucky shift knob. It isn't much but I have had it since I was about 4 or 5 years old. There is a long story behind it and I won't bore you with it. A friend of the Ol' Man took it out of his roadster and gave it to me. It has been in a lot of my cars over the years.

Funny I have had this for over 50 years. Time sure flies when you are having fun. I guess it is not a religious good luck charm but it is what I keep for good luck.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  4. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

I had Hula girl on my dash throughout high school that I had bought on my 16 birthday on a trip to Hawaii. A girl friend had taken off my dash just out of high school and i figured it was lost forever.

A few weekends ago during the holidays, my wife and I stayed at the inlaws in her little sisters room (used to be my wifes room),. up on one of those lil delicated trinket displays that girls have was my old hula girl, (had the date from my trip to Hawaii on it)

yes we dated in high school.

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Mr. Christopher you mean. He is no longer a saint, the Pope demoted him in 1969.

I don't care if it rains or freezes long as I got my plastic Jesus.

6. I make my own luck.

7. Well, not really. What happened was when the Roman Catholic Church reformed the Roman Calender in 1969 certain Saints that could not be proven to have lived a Holi life (or even existed) were dropped from the calender. Christopher was one of these. Some of these "saints" were considered so "Legendary" (as versus factual) that they were completely repressed. St. Christopher was NOT suppressed and is still allowed by the church for local calenders, just not on the Universal Calender.
    St. Christopher is still recognized as a Patron Saint for many places as well, including; Baden, Germany; Barga, Italy; Brunswick, Germany; Mecklenburg, Germany; Rab, Croatia; Roermond, The Netherlands; Saint Christopher's Island (Saint Kitts); Toses in Catalonia, Spain; Mondim de Basto, Portugal; Agrinion, Greece; Vilnius, Lithuania; Riga, Latvia; Havana, Cuba; and Paete, Laguna, Philippines.
    So it is correct to still refer to him as St. Christopher.

8. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Got a St. Chris medal, but you know he lost his job about 10 years ago. He apparently screwed up some bishops reservation at a Holiday Inn or something.

So even if his token is probably no longer gaining safety indulgences, it is likely doing no harm either.

9. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

St Christopher... but I have a small old crucifix that I carry from car to car. My dad had it in every car he drove and he gave it to me when I started driving.

10. Bought this one a few years ago at an estate sale. It was going in the Plymouth once I got it on the road. That project is gone, so Chris is waiting for me to pick up the next hotrod in a couple of months. Stay tuned...

Attached Files:

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks for the details, HAMB friendly ends in 1965 so St Christopher is traditional in my book. :)

12. Deuces

Deuces

Here's one of the "BIG GUY" I got on my key chain, so he's with me at all times...;)

Attached Files:

13. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Was it John Prine did that Plastic Jesus song? How's that go?

14. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

I keep a buckeye in the glove box of my vehicles

15. Deuces

Deuces

Never heard of it!........:rolleyes:

16. 35ChevSedan

35ChevSedan

I rode Harleys for 20 years and both my bikes had a small cross hanging on the handlebars. When my wife got MS I sold my 06 Electra glide to buy a 35 chevy so we could cruise together. That bikes cross is hanging from the rear view mirror. Then I sold my 84 FXST to buy a blown sbc for the chevy, and that cross is hanging on the front carb linkage.

17. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

Nope, don't have charms. The good Lord as my co-pilot and faith is all I need.

18. wheeler.t

wheeler.t

Nothing religious, but if I find something in a car I buy, as long as it isn't garbage, like say a coin in a certain spot or a little trinket in the door panel pocket I feel guilty taking it out of its place so it'll stay there the time I own it then go on to the next owner.

19. conormulroney

conormulroney

I have the Virgin Mary.

Going ninety, I ain't scary
    Because I got the Virgin Mary
    Assuring me that I won't go to Hell
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHf7TD4qwjk

She has been there so long there is a shiny spot on the dash.

20. barebones32

barebones32

St. Christopher medal on the dash.

Attached Files:

21. c_dime81

c_dime81
    from tupelo

I have a big badge in every one of my cars and on my bikes saying I'm alergic to cipro. That is to say the emts would even see that after an accident but hey it doesn't hurt. Maybe I'll just tattoo it on my forehead.

22. Was this some of it ??

"I don't care if it rains or freezes long as I have my plastic Jesus riding on the dash board of my car "

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

24. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

I had a Buddy Jesus on my Dash and someone stole it.

Attached Files:

25. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

Talk about bad Karma! I just found an old dashboard jesus and put it on my dash... It just reminds me of my grandparents in the 70s. It's the same reason I like compasses...

26. St. Christopher's in my 35 Ford , and 62 Pontiac Bonneville Safari... I make sure I have them blessed by our father at St. Patricks Parrish...