Register now to get rid of these ads!

I need some life advice...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bikertrash, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Bikertrash

Bikertrash
    from Boise

So, I'm an average hot rod guy... I usually have a project going on, then when I finish it, I sell it to buy another. Several years ago my Dad came by and said that he wasn't going to live forever. He gave me a 1930 Model A Coupe. Dad is a traditionalist and also has a stock model A. I wanted to be a good son and I sold my chopped and channeled fenderless 1936 Chevy truck and restored the Model A from ground up. It is period perfect and has the nicest everything I could find. It was a pretty damn expensive gift by the time I was through and all the money from the truck disappeared.

After it was finished I realized two big life lessons. The first is that I can never sell the Coupe that my Dad gave me and it's too nicely restored to cut. It would break Dad's heart to see it cut or sold. The second is, I'm aching to build a Model A hotrod. Bad ache. I know most of you have been there. I'm thinking 32 rails, nailhead, etc. I have visions of having a Model A and and Evil twin Model A. One for driving to church and the other for going to hell.

Somewhere between here and there I picked up a 1950 Buick Super. It is the sweetest of fat 50's cars and I had big plans for it. I've thrown a 350/350 in it, replaced the floors, put in a new rearend, etc. The hard part is that I have lost interest in building a car that I will end up spending way more money than I will ever see. It's also hard to give up on a project when you're not even half way through.

Do I:

A) Sell the Buick and take a big fat loss? (I'm in it for well over 6K. I don't imagine I could get more than 3K for it now (If I could sell it at all) It would probably take another 3 to get it running. It's sometime's hard to throw money at something that you're just not in love with anymore.

B) Finish the Buick and wait it out until I come across another A? Once you've had a chopped and channeled anything it sure is hard to go back. If I could pick one car to have for the rest of my life (at least right now...) It would be a chopped A coupe.

I realize that it's my decision and that I have to do what works for me. But sometimes in life it's nice to talk with people that have been down a similar road and hear what worked, or didn't work, for them. I have a really cool wife that would support me either way, but it's my hobby, not hers. I'm looking for friendly advice. Be gentle with me...

Attached Files:

2. sounds like your burnt out on the buick ... if it was me I would not dick with the A but swap the Buick for another A and cut up that one

3. Sorry man ... family health issues today ... had a couple this evening (plus some) ... but remember I ain't as drunk as you thinkle peep I am. More than happy to reply tomorrow though ... Happy New Year and ....... well ....... stuff:D

4. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

can i suggest this....

i understand your desire for a chopped model A coupe...but ,i dont know if this is an option or not,,,but presonally, i have always wanted to buy a bone stock model A coupe, put juice brakes and lower it, swap out the wheels and tires for some big and little rake....maybe an engine upgrade,,,i dont know how old u are,and i know u didnt mention it.(but please dont chop THAT coupe) eventially your taste will change,,maybe u can work out a deal to swap the buick for a model a body/roller...

..i may be totally wrong,but if u keep the coupe your dad gave u all stock looking except for a lowering job,wheel tire change(i.e. 35 wires with firestone biasplies big n lil's and minor mods,, i dont see how your pops would mind!!

5. A Rodder

A Rodder

Try trading the juicing for an A project.
    I have a hard time thinking that is only worth 3k or so.
    Check out chris' picks of his A in his album. It would be a cool way to go, depending on how long you can live with a stock drivetrain.

6. belair

belair

I would paint the Buick, doing it good, but not getting caried away, sell it, take whatever hit you have to, then look for an A (and buy my 322). If you've painted yourself into a corner, there's usually no pretty way out.

7. erlomd

erlomd

can't sell the buick for more than 6k? i I think you can get alot more out of it...especially a 50 buick. thats one damn sweet ride and by the looks of that photo is going great. I know what you mean about not being able to sell that coupe.
    I have a similar situation with my dad's harley that I rebuilt for him....I could sell it and really get my deuce going or just keep waiting out the save your penny's game (which I opted for anyway's). you just cant sell a family heirloom no matter what.
    keep your hopes up, sell the buick for all its truly worth and get into that hopped up model A

8. 1st - If you've lost interest in the Buick, do whatever you can to get it into the hands of the next guy (or gal) that will take it, love it, and continue the build; hopefully making some life memories with their friends and loved ones. Even if you have to take a loss, move on. People blow their recreation money in many different ways; some pay big bucks for cruises then that money is gone. Thank of your money lost on the Buick like paying for a nice vacation that just bought you memories. Keep in touch with the next owner, build a new friendship.

2nd - Go and get an A that will make you happy. Cut it all apart; do whatever you want. It's your money and your car! The old car buddies you hang with would rather be around you working on what drives your car passion. The good times you make building the A will far out-weigh the money lost on the Buick. Besides, you now need to focus on the money you're going to blow doing the A.

3rd - Start a build thread on your A and inspire others to make their dreams come true.

4th - If you like something somebody says in this thread, keep it fresh in your memory. Act on it.

5th - If you don't like what they've said, ignore it. They didn't have anything better to do than to tell you how to live your life. They should have been busy building their dream.

9. Bikertrash

Bikertrash
    from Boise

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm only in my early 40's and in no hurry. My dad's A is off the table and will stay in my garage. My wandering eye keeps looking at '40 ford dash's, finned Buick brake drums, dropped axles, etc. Dad had some health problems and sold a 1934 Ford truck as a "project" on ebay. He did alright on it. It just got me to thinking... I know a lot of HAMBers are not too keen on ebay but I've had pretty good luck. To quote a famous movie line, "You got to get busy livin', or get busy building your next hot rod" (that might not be the exact Shawshank quote, but it's how I heard it. Thanks, and keep the replies coming.

10. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah you can get 6k or more for the Buick. Just throw it on Ebay and see what kinda response you get... hell, it might be sold in a week and you could buy an A body, deuce rails, and belair's 322 (like that plug?)... and still take your wife out for dinner!

11. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

Remember!....Your Dads dreams are not your dreams......and believe it or not, but your kids dreams will not be your dreams............DO WHAT YOU WANT TO DO AND LIVE WITH IT.........I'd probably keep the A like it is and let it be a lesson about taking stuff people give you.......they end up controlling your life from the grave..remember this when you give something to someone...it belongs to them, not you.....don't be an Indian Giver.....like 345winder said....wheels and little bolt on stuff would make it a KILLER CAR and it wouldn't be anything you couldn't chnge back....THAT WOULD BE MY VOTE.

12. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I would love to have a beautiful bone stock Model A to drive around town sometime . I have driven them before and they are fun to drive .
    On the other hand if you have a car you don't like , then just take your loses and get something you really would love to own !
    I think it would be a great idea to have a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde cars ! That way you can just cruise around town with the family on the restored A and then when the cruises come by and you just need that need to beat the hell out of the roads then jump in the chopped and channeled A and tear up the roads !
    Your lucky to have your Dad and drive his car . I wish I was that lucky because you just never know when they won't be there ! Enjoy the time and fun while you still can .

Retro Jim

13. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

Sell the Buick take the hit, go from there.

If your not in love with it now you sure wont be when your block sanding it for paint.

14. BISHOP

BISHOP

I would be getting that buick cleaned up, made presentable, and sell it. Its a good lookin car.
    I think it would bring enough to get you into a model A.
    Be patient, you will find what you want after the buick is gone.

Fast typing around here.

15. I am with Belair paint it and sell it take the loss if you take one at all, may break even. I have been there and know how you feel sometimes you are better off moving on.

16. Personally, and this is just me, I woulda talked Dad outta the 34 pickup and let him sell the A on e-bay .... but that is just me.

17. Cruiser

Cruiser

That's one nice stock Model A very sweet, you'll have to pass it down to your son someday.
    Put the Buick up for trade or sale 6K and see what happens. If, you put it on ebay remember to put a good reserve, you don't want to give it away.
    Good luck on whatever choice you make and get that Model A hot rod. :D

CRUISER :cool:

18. Dave B.

Dave B.

I think you may be sittin’ on a golden opportunity and not be realizing it! First, let me say that I lost my dad 23 years ago and, looking back, the best times we shared were when we were either fishin’ or workin’ on cars together. I’d get irritated at him sometimes for being stubborn about some things, but I’d give anything to be able to spend a weekend with him now!

Back to your situation, though… Do you and your dad belong to a Model A club? Do you go to shows and/or cruises together? If not, you’re missing that ‘golden opportunity’. What better place to find a deal on an ‘A’ project than in a Model A club? Yeah, most of the members will be purists, but that doesn’t mean that there might not be someone who would be willing to give you a good price on a project that has been gathering dust.

As for the Buick, I’d sell it, BUT… I’d make it clear to the wife/girlfriend/significant other that the proceeds were off-limits to anything except another project. I went so far as to open a savings (credit union) account so that there wouldn’t be any confusion about which dollars were available for what. Sounds extreme, but money sitting in a joint account is usually considered fair game for new curtains or carpets!

In any case, I hope you find a solution that gets you smiling again!

19. pinman 39

pinman 39

Don't rush into anything . You will know whats right when it happens .
    Enjoy the great weather we are having and you will figure out what works
    for you.

20. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

If you want a cut down hot rod coupe take your time and do like im doing.
    Over the last three years iv collected all parts for a nice 31 coupe body for less than 800 bucks. The secret is don’t get in a big ass hurry … stuff turns up they made millions of them.

BTW I still need a visor …. Anyone got one for cheap :confused: :D

21. skoh73

skoh73

I think that v8steel had a very profound response- I don't think that there is anything I could add that could be any better. If you do decide to sell the Buick, shoot me a pm with the info. I have a buddy who's trying to get back into rodding after almost 20 years away and he is a Buick/Olds only guy. If he can afford it, and it's in a condition that he could manage, I know that he would very much appreciate the opportunity.

Best of luck to you and enjoy that beautiful car that your Pop handed down.

22. People who know me know I love buying and selling the old rides.

I have one thing I stick to no matter what!

"If it's given to me, whether it be a family member or friend it's never sold"

If ya have to, take your hit and keep rolling, I think in the long run you will find that if you measure your enjoyment, and what you end up getting, it will even out. Sometimes you have to take a hit to get to where you want to be. Let's face it, all of us will always feed the monster no matter how far along we are in our lifestyle.

23. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

i,m gonna say if you want to sell it don't paint it.thats more money &time.plus as it sits there are no ? about condition.you are in boise and there are lots of rodders,custom guys all around there.i,m in ontario.or. only 60 miles away and im sure there is some one interested in your car.i'd put it on craiglist, i know there will be 100 guys reading it that might trade or buy.i'tell some guys tonight of your post,who knows.on another note spring should show up soon and we can cruise.good luck

24. have you talked to your father about the A? when you pass it down would you mind if he/she hot rodded it? A friend of mine kept a business running with his father, despite it's lack of profit, for his fathers sake. when he talked to his father, on his death bed, his dad told him he should have closed the shop years ago.

25. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Coming from a guy who recently took a big right turn, I can read between the lines in your topic. You like the work. You like the action. Obviously you also like the Model A. I think the reply about swappin out the wheels/tires is a good one. It may not be going all the way for you, but I think something like that could be fun. Don't do anything to it that can't be changed with wrenches and sockets. Get yourself a "fix". Armed with something like that you may find some new and needed incentive to make big progress on the Buick. It may or may not be worth $6K, but it takes a guy like you (and me) to get excited about a project car in these harsh economic times. The more you finish, the easier the sale. But back to the Model A, done up like suggested, make the time to get out there and play with it. As we've all heard from the non-hoodlum types, "Hey, my neighbor/cousin/brother/father-in-law has a coupe just like that and he wants to get rid of it...", and there you are in the right place at the right time looking like the guy who wants it. This happens to all of us and sometimes it plays out well. You're in the game already. Play harder.

26. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

Find someone local to buy it, then offer to finish it the way they want. You make $$$$ on the sale, then $$$$ on the work, make a new friend, then build your A.

27. Mooseandsqurl53

Mooseandsqurl53
    from N.J.

Maybe bring the Buick up to primer and let it go. Dad's car is a gift. Until you get the funds, Dad's car can be made to look like a 40's, 50's, 60's etc hotrod simply by changing the wheels, as has been stated earlier in the thread. Either don't open the hood or get a manifold for the banger to make it look hot. Money's tight, and, in comparison to building another car to give you the look you want, wheels and tires are an inexpensive way to get the look. You can use those same wheels when you do get your new project, so, the money's not wasted. It won't be fast, but it'll sure look good. Just my thoughts.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  28. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Keep Dads car... sell the buick and get another A body to build from the ground up... its cheaper to build the nasty one to drive to hell than the nice one to go to church in...

29. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

I think you are tormenting yourself over a fairly simple transaction. If you have lost interest in the Buick simply put it up for sale. Based on what I have seen you should be able to get a pretty good start on another A with the proceeds. I do not think you would have to wait to long to see the Buick headed down the road.

Your A from your dad is beautiful and as you say it is staying in the garage. Good for you.

30. The Model A, is a white elephant..not really what you want, has monetary value, sentimental value, but can't sell it (no disrespect-it's a beautiful car).
    The choice seems obvious to me, your heart is on a Hot Rod A, which the Buick , or your current A isn't.
    Sell the Buick, I think you can get more money out of it then you think, and buy your Hot Rod Model A project..