Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Project 333 [Half Evil] a Mid Engine Roadster DragCar started finally.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Littleman, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I was off work this week due to our shop shut down for the Holiday's. I cleared of my chassis table and cleaned it with metal prep and sprayed it down w/ some WD40. I dismantled most of the last chassis I had started along w/ another chassis that had been started for an older project, my mid engine Coupe. I have chosen to build the Roadster instead of the Coupe based on wanting a lighter car. They call me 333 @ work based on my lack of height..They say I am too small to be full Evil...I am only half Evil, so that is where the 333 comes from..Goofey...yes, but fits what I am going to build..

The plan is to build a full on functional Drag car...and hopefully in the end make my Model A Pickup look like a grocery getter. Warning much of this build will not be so traditional, but will have much of the past in mind. For we would not be where we are at without the past ! I need to pass tech..I want to pass tech...it needs to be safe. Althou w/ a 103'' projected wheelbase planned and the power that will bolted into it will make it into a hard to handle Angry dart.

The engine is well on it's way @ Ross Racing in Niles Ohio. I picked up a 421 c.i. SBC all alluminum Brodix shortbock off of Tony @ Ross. The new Brodix 15 degree heads were ordered and have arrived, along w/ a new set of T&D shaft rocker arm setup. Looking into cam and lifter options now. This engine will be blown injected on alky....in a 103'' wheelbase..ha haha..

I spent the last few days welding up 3.250'' new axle tubes into the Strange center housing I picked up. I made the back brace out of 2''x3'' boxed tubing. Then took the rearend to a local shop and had him tact the axle bearing flanges on while on his jig, so thanks to Jimmy @ Future Tech race cars for helping me out ! I plan on leaving the ends tact on since I still need to fab the main axle mounting brackets along w/ a few other items that will need welded on. Once done I will take the housing back to Jim and he will double check my alignment once more before I fully weld the ends on. The axles are 35 spline gun drilled w/ lite flanges Strange. The center section is all Strange...and you can see the Fresh shorty powergide done by Marco Abruzzi out of Warren Ohio in the one pic.

Allot more to come...Real Excited to be actually building something again !......Littleman

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  2. Wow Dave, this thing just sounds crazy, big cube small block blown on alco"haul", tied into a short wheelbase roadster WTF man !

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Loved the mid engine coupe idea and the roadster sounds even better!!! I like the short wheel base as it always make the cars look like they are getting ready to bust out the gate. Very awesome!!!

4. rileyrecords25

rileyrecords25
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love to see the old school builds but this is what hot rodding is all about speed!!! Cant wait to see your future progress.

5. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

I would call you full Evil!!!
    I miss you buddy hope you and the fam have a great new year!!

So when you flying down the drag strip will you be blasting cat power?

6. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

dam littleman, you make us look bad! you just dont stop! i bet the oil aint cold in that pickup yet! keep movin man were looking forward to this.

7. short wheelbase,
    +
    cranky-ass fire breathing blown engine,
    +
    Purpose built chassis,
    +
    333 Littleman

=

AWESOME

Cheers,

Drewfus:)

8. Ruiner

Ruiner

Dave, you never cease to amaze me...I can't wait to see how this turns out...

9. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Dave, Wish you all the best in this new Speed Machine. Set up you are planning should really make those rear tires spin. The Old Speed Sport Roadster would have nothin on you ! Maybe you should have eight pipes coming out the back of your new build.

Happy New Year !

Dave

10. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Cool Dave...will be watching this one.

11. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Today I started to make the adjustable supports for the rear housing. I still need to make one more that will support the front under side of the thirdmember. I finished off the front aluminum mounting block plate, and am close to being finished w/ the mid mount aluminum plate. I need to make something adjustable to sit the engine block on...Then mate up the trans and align everything to the strings I ran on the chassis table today......You can see the wheelbase laid out...I hope to be able to keep it @ the 103'' wheelbase I laid out. I will now better once the trans and engine are in place. Need to figure out how far the blower pulley's will be coming forward not to mention I will need some user friendly working room up front to bar the engine ect......Littleman

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. drflex

drflex

sub'd...will be watching this

13. Noland

Noland

sounds like this things going to be awesome. good luck I ll be watching

14. wicked willys

wicked willys
    from ne ohio

can't wait to see what you create. I know it'll be wicked

15. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Dude, I'm holding my breath to see more of this one.

16. Rusty

Rusty

Awesome man!!! Always enjoy your work!!! happy New Year to you and your family

Rusty

17. Sounding and looking like another cool build Dave.....looking forward to following the progress and seeing more pictures.

18. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

subscribed,sitting down for this one. be one bad mofo

19. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

sounds pretty cool.

20. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Tonight I finished up the front adjustable engine stilts and a rear trans adjustable stilt...I just need to make up one more support for the front of the thirdmember. Then align everything to my strings........the wheelss are 12'' wide, they will be carved into the rear quarters of the Roadster....Once the car is on the ground it should look like a hot wheel...I am using this style of rim because they are race SFI approved, it will look the part once finished.........Littleman

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  21. MotorVillain

MotorVillain

subscribed... can't wait to see more pics of the build!

22. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

This is going to get crazy!!

23. ottoman

ottoman
    from Wisconsin

I think you will regret the short wheelbase with the amount of power you will be making.. but there is only one way to find out... Build it!!

24. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

25. oj

oj

You building a hard-tail? Don't tell us you are making a swing arm of some sort. You got any dwgs of this contraption? i see lots of problems and i expect you see them as well and i am curious as to how you deal with them.

26. tinmann

tinmann

Weren't most altereds back in the day with fixed rear axles? (no suspension).
    I like your approach to a single purpose drag car, Dave. Position drivetrain..... build everything else around that.

27. WOW! Subscribed

28. oj

oj

29. Awesome project......I will be following this one to the end!