Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1948-52 New Old Style Kustoms

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by J.B., Dec 12, 2010.

1. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

good to have you around, glenn. i had a grand time drooling over the car at the gathering last fall.

2. Glad you finally joined Glenn! Huge fan of your car,welcome!

3. glennc1935kustom

glennc1935kustom

wow thanks guys.. you guys are cool too.. great to see alot more kustoms lately.. when i was 16 i was part of the ri sinners cc with a 1948 plymouth coupe..and that wasnt half as cool as whats goin on now.. and the cars are definately alot cooler. the 56 customline is really nice and ive always liked the 54 club coupe.. .. my dad passed may 15 2011 and left me with his 60 thunderbird. ive got a whole diferent idea with his car and will be right arround the watson era.. i wont ever sell either car..cant wait till the summer

4. choptruck

choptruck

Glenn all I can say is what an incredible car. Weather you did the fab work or someone else, the quality and design is great.

5. glennc1935kustom

glennc1935kustom

thanks choptruck.. i love your car too.. hopfully i will see it in person somday .. its very cool .. got to be the nicest dodge goin.... i did do all the work on my car, the top and the fab .. i have so many pics ...sheet metal is fun to work with to me..

6. Swedeshoebox

Swedeshoebox
    from Sweden

Hi Glenn! Nice car......
    let´s se some more detail pics, or maby a build thread.
    are you running a flattie? have you built the fenderskirts or is it 37-40 ford?
    etc.etc.... hope to see alot more of your car:)

I have a 36 Roadster and the plan is an early 40s kustom:D

7. Hey..is that my old shoebox??

8. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Is WHAT your old shoebox? Which post are your reffering too?

B:confused:B

9. koolkemp

koolkemp

With so many pics it would be really swell if you started a build thread for your 35 :rolleyes: ...most of us love to look at pics :D:D ...I would especially love to see all the body mods that former coupe underwent !

10. glennc1935kustom

glennc1935kustom

i will get the pics on soon. i tried a lasalle grille in the car first and didnt like it. ive got all the pics of that too... thanks again for the comments. the car is sitting on the 35 frame. stock suspension reverse eve springs . i made my own lowering blocks for the rear . c'd the chassis and tunneled the body so nothing hit's. stock i beam up front with a old sagging spring thats the right hight. lever shocks , 39 brakes ,39 trans ,canadian 8ba , genorator. the whole car is pre 49 mecanicals and body parts with the exception of hardware.. even the tires are 40 yo goodyears. the hardest thing to do was keeping it era correct.. and im sure you guys know how hard that is .. the parts just arent arround anymore.. ive seen yards full of old cars go to the scrapper once the steel prices went so high.. what a shame ..

11. I love customs of this era...the early 50's. Once cars started getting scoops, scallops or outlined paint, etc. I find myself loosing interest...That's not to say I don't enjoy later customs, but the early stuff really gets me.

I built my Hudson to loosely adhere to a 54 cut off year, partially because I wanted to use a 54 Buick color. Granted, my car does have drip rails still, and a 53 Olds dash and grille, and is painted 54 Buick Titian Red, but it is built to the early style I like.

It's got a mild chop, nosed, decked, Lincoln push buttons, smoothed rockes, 52 Ford fender flares, shaved bumpers (these photos were taken before the window stainless and the wing windows were instaled):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My next project is going for a later 40's era. I'm building a 39 Zephyr with a padded top and a 49 331 Caddy under the hood.

BigO likes this.
  12. 53Hattie

53Hattie

That's a very sweet Hudson, ...ya done good!

13. Normbc9

Normbc9

Here are few photo's. Enjoy!
    Normbc9

14. Normbc9

Normbc9

The photo's for the Normbc9 post didn't upload properly. Here they are.

Attached Files:

15. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Those cars do NOT fit here Normbc9.

Sorry :(

The middle one would fit, except that its actually an old custom, and the "boss" asked for recent builds.

16. I love this car and I think you did a great job on it.Very nice Custom

17. Smooth Customs

Smooth Customs

18. bigrickl74

bigrickl74

wow!

19. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

I would say this has got to be the best looking Hudson around! Great pictures! and the owner's pretty sweet too.:D

20. ausbuick

ausbuick

21. 60ChevyWitha250

60ChevyWitha250
    BANNED
    from Rolla,Mo

This thread is awesome!! Subscribed. But does anybody use anything other that Caddy hubcaps and Firestone/Coker tires these days?

22. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Yeah, some guys on here are using b.f. goodrich bias plies, and im sure theres others. you just cant doubt the perfect look of a firestone deluxe champion.

as for the hubcaps, they were basically the go-to hubcap for customs of the era stated in this thread, they just screamed elegant, smooth, and expensive, which is what the customizers were going for early on. But i have seen others used, I personally use 51 olds sombreros, i think its the sombrero design that really completes the look on this style of custom.

23. I've got Olds Sombrero's on my rig as well. See the above photos...

Caddy caps were and are timeless. Honestly, I'd be running Caddy caps if had a set, but I don't.

24. Janne

Janne

25. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Nice car, Janne. We need more of this styling in Scandinavia. Or everywhere... :D

Any progress on that car?

26. That is awesome Janne. Is this car being built?

27. Janne

Janne

28. Janne

Janne

29. Janne

Janne

Something like that, it's not quite clear what it will be.