Register now to get rid of these ads!

Well, I've done it...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by theHIGHLANDER, Jan 3, 2012.

1. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

I was at it full time for a couple years, then a couple years ago I got a job because I couldn't handle the swings of money. Sometimes you make 10 grand a month, and sometimes you don't make shit. Now I just do my shop on the side. But Im hoping i will be back at it full time soon, now that I know what to expect and how to adjust for it. Good luck man

2. jack orchard

jack orchard

you will do just fine. if you are good at what you do, there is always room for one more. best of luck...jack

3. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

I worked for years as a mechanical engineer for a consulting engineering company. Towards the end there my stress level was peaked due to impossible deadlines , under budgeted projects and idiot managers. One day after much thought at age 54 I called my wife at her work and said " Ya know what...I just can't do this anymore". She said give them a notice and go home. I did. It was the best thing I have ever done. I work for myself now as a mechanical engineer and love it. No more stress...no more acid reflux...no more high blood pressure ....and more money for fewer hours.

Good luck , enjoy . John

4. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I've seen your work here on the HAMB. With the skillset you have you'll be just fine!

5. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Nuthin better than a good "I've had enough, I quit" and its even better when you add some profanity streams and shouting!

Good for you, I'm certain you'll have some crappy moments as we all do, but you'll be a lot happier even during the not so good times.

6. Wishing you all the best. Todd

7. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Happy New Year ta ya! This will be a good way to start off 2012, You'll be in charge of your own destiny. You'll do well.

8. I have worked for "the man" for 40 years and now I'm retired, well sort of. I started a small hobby/business 3 yrs ago. I make some pocket money. However, I'm my own boss and I like it. I find it very satisfying that I can do something for someone else and a couple of bucks in my pocket.

Best of Luck man. M/B the "American dream" is not dead yet!

9. Cruiser

Cruiser

Jocko in your case the grass is truly greener on the other side. Good luck and kick ass. :D

CRUISER :cool:

10. choptvan

choptvan

I did the same about 2 years ago. Never regreted it. Not sure how, but it expanded. And all of it was by accident! I was working for a few different people in town ( won't go into that ) and when I left, people came lookin for me. Wanted me to finish projects and build them some new ones. Pretty satisfying I must say. Good luck!

11. Raven53

Raven53
    from Irwin Pa

I wish you all the luck in the world, with friends and self confidence all things are possible ....

12. mortecai

mortecai

There is nothing like being your own boss. Grab the brass ring and hang on tight!

13. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I'm shocked:eek:
    How's he going to stay in business and pay his expenses at his new shop without you?? and what this about him not paying you?? Thats illegal.:mad:

Once you get settled in your new routine lets grab that burger and beer we talked about and you can fill me in on the details.

Good luck bud!

14. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

As my ex wife used to say "one door closes, another opens". And she should know, she had been through 4 doors before she came to mine! I've been self employed for years, and even on the bad days, as long as you are willing to work, you can always make enough to survive. Good Luck.

15. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

Way to go! No regrets and you'll never have to wonder if...

16. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

Hey Bro

Good luck with all the fun you are about to start having.

Martyn

17. Cabover

Cabover

Jocko, As we talked the other day...skies the limit.....IT WILL BE DONE AND WILL BE DONE RIGHT, with you in charge....Don't ever second guess yourself, your going in the right direction!!!!!! Call any time....Dan

18. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

heres to peace and sucess , good luck , in 2012 and beyond

19. blt2go

blt2go

stick to the standards you listed you will find no better boss than you, and by the same token no better worker. good luck and enjoy.

20. Gator

Gator

Good luck to you.

21. Someone said, " what- graduated from anger management ", is that true?;)

22. hozem396

hozem396
    from ohio

Make your vacation your vocation! Do it!!

23. good luck to ya! hey next time you're in valparaiso look me up we'll have a beer. did you ever do anything with the 61 belair?

24. I wish the best for you and RESPECT the want of INTEGRITY. Kinda hard to find that in work places these days. I believe you will do well.

25. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

sounds great.. but your new boss sounds like a real asshole.

hahaha. kick ass and take names.

26. rust&patina

rust&patina

from what i've read from your threads & posts here on the h.a.m.b. over the years & all the good things being said here in this thread you deserve this more than anything...best of luck

27. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you doesn't seem like enough to say to all of you, but sincerely, I do thank you all for your support. It's gonna be fun. A good friend of mine says that when opportunity knocks, many folks won't answer because it looks like hard work, but that's always been the juice to me, the work. It's tough right now just trying to get my head around the feelings, not having that "...oh shit, not again..." as I open the door in the morning. I like it.

Denise, that should have been considered over 2 years ago. There's that thing about a dead horse...

You'll hear from me very soon hon.

Dan, my brother, YOU KNOW. It's not all bluebirds and sunshine, but it is what we make it. You know I've been there before, almost the majority of my work history. I have a feeling this is the one.

Scotty, not much has happened on the Belair. Sad but true, and call it another motivating factor in my choice to move on. I think having my own and playing in the same sandbox is very good for buisness, but even more satisfying is having the time now to finally get it out there. Perhaps Valpo wil be a great shakedown drive. Perhaps nuthin, that's a great plan! Stay tuned...

Don't I know it!! Seriously, when I started feeling bad about meeting him over the top of the bathroom sink every morning, time to move on. The asshole kept telling me but I was too busy trying to "save" something. I saved something alright. Thanks 'rat...

Ok enuff. Gotta go flip the heat on...

28. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Hot Damn Jocko, congratulations and the best of luck! Instead of working for the man YOU ARE the man! (But then we've known that all along:cool:.)
    Talent to like yours is always going to be in demand.
    Paul

29. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I know you can do it! Have fun and it'll all come together. You have a great attitude and outlook, and it'll carry you far.
    CYA with good insurance and security where needed.
    Cheers,
    John

30. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

Rots of Ruck buddy. BOSSES SUCK (unless you'll one)
    B.B.