Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '33 Plymouth redux...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gator, Nov 25, 2011.

1. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

great save! i feel so nostalgic when i see this come back to glory. nice work.

2. Gator

Gator

Still at it, kinda slow going with the holidays and all, but now I'm ready to get my ass back in gear.

The hinges had been cut off the car at some point, mounts and all. When I got the car the hood sides were bolted in place and the hood top was being held down with velcro. I fabbed up some brackets and used small bearclaw latches to get by for the summer, but I wanted the hood hinged so I had to improvise.

I needed to be able to seperate the hood for paint so I mad the hinges removable. First I welded in some flat stock to the hood tops so I'd have somewhere sturdy to attach the stainless piano hinges to.

[​IMG]

Laid out the hinge to mark the mounting holes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then attached the tops to the sides. The hood sides look to have been custom made, they're pretty heavy and luckily they had a 90 lip at the top perfect to mount the hinges to.

[​IMG]

After I lined it all up I tore it all right back apart. Hoping to get out to Hamber "EarlSchieb" - Mike's shop at the end of the week for some help getting all the body parts in primer.

I need to decide what color we're gonna paint it; I was going shiny black, but since the car is now going to be sold when it's finished I'm trying to decide what color would have the most 'resale' appeal. Mike suggested a metallic dark red / maroon. Any other opinions?

3. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I was ready to answer your question before I even completed reading your post.

Mike is right on target. But you might consider a maroon/burghandy WITHOUT metallic. That would be more "nostalgic".

just don't let Mike talk you into a set of those big gay wheels he likes so much.

now get your ass back to work :)

4. Gator

Gator

Ha ha - Thanks Bob - I think I'll take your advice, you'll probably end up buying the car anyways...

I checked out the 'maroon cars' thread here on the Hamb, really liking this color:

[​IMG]

5. exterminator

exterminator

Maroon would look great.I had a 33 ply that was chevy garnet-looked good.

6. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

damn, you have skills!

7. That would look good on Bobwop's lot, all shined up with some big chrome dubs.....whaddya think--18/20s, or 20/22s? haahahaha! How 'bout it, Bob?:p

8. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

gay, just gay

9. FlamedChevy

FlamedChevy

Lookin good Gator... What is with Earl did he fall and bump his head??? 20's???
    Go with the Maroon color.

10. mortecai

mortecai

I'm with you the wood dash sux!

11. Gator

Gator

Ha - Rick I think that's an inside joke between Mike and Bob -

Anyway, I requested a color change in the Hamb's 'Photoshop' thread, James D was nice enough to whip this out for me - of course the grille and running boards won't be painted body color but you get the idea...

[​IMG]

12. C'mon Rick...18s are traditional.... Bigger is better, right? :eek:(yea, it's a inside thing with me and Bob;))

You guys gonna try the new swap meet in Westmoreland Sunday?

13. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

try a bit darker...more towards the burghandy shade

should look great.

14. Gator

Gator

Big progress today, Mike was good enough to 'take off' from work today to help me out with the Plymouth. I don't wanna embarrass him here but Mike's one of the most un-selfish people I've ever met. I'm lucky to have him for a friend and a brother Poorboy.

OK, enough gushing... last night I loaded up all the loose parts of the Plymouth so I could head to Mike's shop in Hartsville first thing this morning.

I had these Hudson tail lights I was contemplating putting on the Plymouth. I decided not to use them and I knew Mike wanted them for the '36 taildragger project he's been gathering parts for, so I gave them to him. Looks like he was happy with them...

[​IMG]

I had most of the parts roughed in, but the doors had some creases in them and I couldn't get to the back side of the dents. I knew Mike had a stud welder, so I saved the doors for him. He made the dents go away fast!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After Mike checked and corrected some of the body work he sprayed on a coat of epoxy primer to seal it all up, then a coat of hi-build primer so it can be blocked out good a couple of times before paint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hoping to have this thing in paint by the end of January, but that might be pushing it... I know I wouldn't get anything done if I didn't have friends like Mike to help me out...

15. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

good going my friend!! and mike looks that way most of the time...............lol

16. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

don't get overspray on the Vette!

17. Gator

Gator

Had another productive day Friday, all four fenders and the doors blocked out and ready for another coat of primer, Mike said it would be best to block everything out twice to make sure it's all nice and straight. Mike uses a dry guidecoat deal that's really cool - I think it's like a carbon powder.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

that is a great tool

19. Gator

Gator

Got everything block sanded with 180 for the second time yesterday. Mikes gonna put another coat of primer on it for me then it will be ready for final wet sanding with 400. That will have all the pieces will be ready for paint, but I've still got a bit to do on the main body but hoping to have it in paint in the next few weeks.

Once again, big thanks to my buddy Mike, wouldn't have it anywhere near this far without his help and support.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Don't thank me---you're doing all the work! :eek:

21. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

so are ya'll taking off to go to the show?????/

22. Gator

Gator

Sorry Bruce, couldn't make it, got way too much to do...

23. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

missed ya, pretty good swap for the first time. see ya next week.no wait, you don't go to autofest do you. ok see ya in 3 weeks?

24. Gator

Gator

More progress today, Mike got a final coat of primer on all the parts for me and also helped me with the final wet sanding. Just gotta finish up the main body and the works will be ready for paint - I'm hoping to have the main body done by the end of next week - then Mike can spray it whenever he can find the time. I think I said it before but I don't know how he gets ANYTHING done with all the visitors he gets - ha ha.

Here's another pic, hopefully I'll have something more exciting than yellow primer to show everyone soon...

[​IMG]

25. You have been busy.......... can't wait to see what color you will pick....

26. Gator

Gator

Thanks Pete, I was originally gonna paint it black, but I bought myself another Caddy and I've decided to sell it when it's finished. So, I wanted a color that might appeal to a wider audience. Also, since black shows EVERY flaw I didn't want to spend an extra month block sanding it!

As I mentioned before I've been looking at the maroon cars thread here, and was leaning toward the Ford 'cabarnet red' But Mike (kinda sorta) talked me into this 'dark red' below, which is a one year Corvette color. I think he's still a closet 'Corvette guy' haha.

[​IMG]

Just got the main body section in it's first coat of primer.

27. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

that is a great color for the Plymouth.

Mike has come out of the closet in my presence.

28. I've got four of the damn things....I wouldn't consider that a 'closet' condition....:rolleyes:

Gator, your color will be here Tuesday(contains lead:eek: and they didn't have the right toners in stock).....it'll be likely mixed by Butt Reynolds hisself. Lord h'ep us :D Details in my upcoming book "It Takes a HAMB to Build a Car" :p

29. Gator

Gator

Very kewl Mike - tried to call you today, used up all the catalyst that was left and was wondering if I could use regular urethane hardner. (Tim answered my question) Turns out there was barely enough primer to get one coat on the main body anyway. I'll just run over to Springfield tomorrow and get some more - I need some of that 'icing' too...

[​IMG]

30. That will look sharped paint that shade of red..... Mike I didn't see any closets at your shop the last time I was there, only a bathroom and I am not sure I want to know what goes on in there....LOL