Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why cant you flip and axle????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by iwanaflattie, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Uhh...WHY?!? :eek::confused:

2. cowboyinachair

cowboyinachair
    from colorado

do ppl just read the question then reply cuz it was answered in the first resonse and mine is 61 or 62 by now

3. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

No.

Because you would end up with one forward gear and multiple reverse gears, not to mention draining out all the oil out the upside down vent hole.

4. Mike Rotch

Mike Rotch
    from Easley SC

I know that didn't make any sense. Using a carrier assembly between the transfer case & differential would negate the reason for flipping the axle. I get ahead of myself sometimes :)

5. I I thought of another reason:
    The brake lines would be on the bottom exposed to road debris and other things...

So you know I did cut the pads off and Im in the process of c notching and relocating the pads under the axle...I flip the axle for craps and giggles

6. A Rodder

A Rodder

I thought it was a good question, because if you don't know the inner workings of the rear end, at first thought you think you are just rotating the rear end, just like the driveshaft spins.
    I fully understand, but it took some of the answers above.
    Now maybe the thread could be titled, "Why you can't flip an axle"

7. Yeah Hopefully another newbie like me can learn from my dumb question...
    Should change the name to "Why you can't flip and axle" and call it "technical'":);)

8. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

It wasn't a stupid question. It was something you hadn't thought about before. I have been into car stuff a long time and had never needed to think about it. Now I know. There are a lot out there who made fun of this and never knew. Most of them won't admit it. The saddest thing is to not even want to know about something.

Don't feel bad. This particular problem has been around a long time.

....Lohr, extremely frustrated from trying for a week to repair without success his father’s Model T Ford, said to Ford: “Since you made this car over here that runs backward instead of forward…perhaps you could tell me about it.” Lohr explained to Ford that he had replaced the right rear axle that connected to the differential assembly after he nearly wrecked his father’s car due to a brake failure; and that everytime Lohr pushed in the low gear and high gear clutch, the rear wheels turned backward instead of forward, and when he pushed in the reverse wheel clutch, the wheels spun forward instead of backward. Ford responded: “Son, you have installed the ‘ring gear’ on the wrong side of the pinion gear which causes the wheel to go backward instead of forward when you push in the low gear clutch pedal.” Carl Lohr, first resident warden at Potomac State ForestLohr, who in later years moved to LaVale, would tell this story and conclude it this way: “…and so I was able to fix the car properly, and I became a factory trained mechanic overnight from this bit of expert advice from Henry Ford.”

9. Wow neat story.
    I never thought about it either so when my bud mentioned it,it seemed like it would work at first...

10. Not really a stupid question...and one that comes up often when people start messing around with 4 wheel drive and independent suspensions.

Mickey Thompson, the Summers Bros., and Tommy Ivo all used 4WD before 1964, so don't tell me it's "not traditional"...

Anytime the ring gear moves to the opposite side of the pinion, rotation reverses. So, when you take a rear gearset and move it to the front end, it will run backward (which is good in FRONT). BUT, the driveshaft is also rotating the opposite direction (as the gear sees it), so you HAVE to flip the gearset over to get it to run backward (forward in front...oh, fuck it.) again.

Some popular rearends have "reverse rotation" R & P sets available to get the force applied back on the "drive" side of the teeth.

11. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

I saw a guy try to "flip and axle" at the same time, broke his freakin' neck.

12. There's high pinion and low pinion . Which actually drive the top or bottom respectively, of the ring gears . That causes reversing direction also. Look at a front diff mated to a passenger side drop transfer case vs a drivers side drop transfer case.

13. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

And all this time i was wondering if this would make it wander:rolleyes::D

14. All this time I was wondering why everyone was wrong?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    I seriously thought that..Now I learned 1 more thing...I wonderwhy nobody corrected me before,,its a wonderful thing:)
    AHHH the Intro and spell police:

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      301.8 KB
      Views:
  15. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

hahhahaha:D;)

im far from the spelling cops..besides you spelled it right, just wrong context..it had me baffled at first thinking you were asking if it would wander:p

very interesting thread, sure makes you think.
    I guess if one never experiments , than you never find out new things.:cool:

16. SmoKerch

SmoKerch

Regular Evan Williams (7 years old and half the price of JD)

10 year old Evan Williams Single Barrel

Jim Beam Black

Wild Turkey 101

Knob Creek

Blanton's

How long of a list do you want?
    How much is JD anyway? I haven't purchased any in about 25 years.

17. The 60s and 70s was the best time to experiment.

18. Yes but JD is traditional:D:D:D:D
    Jim beam gives me a hang over.But will surely give the others a try..
    JD is about 20 a pint i think.

19. I guess if I had flipped the axle like that I would make my COE wander the wrong way...I wonder how fun it would be to flip someone's axle as a practical joke.their car/truck would wander all over the place and you'd leave them wondering what happened????
    It would be a wonderful prank.

20. One forward crawler gear and 4 reverse gears - you could sell this to the Italian army....

21. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Hahhahaa..It would have them fucked up for sure

22. iamben

iamben

So in the spirit of stupid questions and maybe if a guy cant weld isnt a 9" symetrical except for the axle tubes and the axles? So could you flip the housing and put the center in the same way you normally would? Or are the bolt holes for the center not symetrical? I cant seem to remember.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  23. [​IMG]
    Haha...that's awesome.

And BIG...oops, sorry.

24. Hmmmm........years ago.......in high school................I'm trying to remember:confused:...............................................ok.............yeah........der wuz dis guy I had to wrestle.........named Axle.......big dude......well I flipped him.....den pinioned him:eek:..............ok........ok .......I know , get off the thread......

25. So A serious question....The guy above has a good point,,,Can you flip a 9 inch if its relatively symmetrical???

2 guys hugging each other drench in sweat and in different positions???WTH....Did you take any pics??

Attached Files:

26. You already know that it makes it run backwards. I don't doubt that someone has told you whay but just in case you have decided that is is an urdan legond, what happens is that it puts the ring gear on the opposite side of the pinion and that reverses everything.

27. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

Heres a link to the episode... skip ahead to about the 40 minute mark to see them flip the axle and race....

http://youtu.be/Gs0U9qqZn80

28. Hahahahaha...I worked as a heavy diesel mechanic for years...one of our guys did the same thing with a front-end-loader..but I think he just had the entire axle bolted in "flipped". flipped back around and it was fine but it was a big job...took a day and a half or 2..boss was amused/pissed.

29. I was just re-asking this guys question :

30. RichG

RichG

LMAO, I can't believe no one commented on this... nicely done!

Oh and for whiskey: Makers Mark.;)