Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why cant you flip and axle????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by iwanaflattie, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Rocky, just curious, why did they need 4 speeds in reverse? Something to do with the hay operation?

Oh, I just reread you post, I guess they drove them backwards.

Don

2. SvenOla

SvenOla
    from Sweden

Can't really see why it should rotate the other direction ...... wouldn't it just drive the coggs wrong , like get the force on the backside of them ?:confused:

3. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

'choppedtudor', that makes sense and easy to understand, thanks......

4. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

Imagine (picture) the gear on the end of the pinion shaft turning clockwise and on the right side of the ring gear. The pinion teeth are going up on its left side. The pinion teeth are forcing the ring gear teeth up. Now, just swap the pinion to the left of the ring gear. the pinion teeth are going down thus forcing the ring gear teeth down. This is what has been done by turning the rear over.

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Look. The pinion gear is driving the ring gear down when in the correct position. Move the ring gear to the other side of the pinion and it;s driving it up. It,s turning it the opposit direction. When I was in the Army our AWD Dodge and GMC trucks used just this system for the front axle.

6. Picture the right wheel turning clockwise. Flip the rear end and now, the left wheel is turning clockwise and the car is now going backwards.

7. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

Yes, it took a little while since the post you quote, but I think you'll find I finally got it figured out. Thanks.

8. Arieldouglas

Arieldouglas

9. Harms Way

Harms Way

You guys need to eat a can of soup for lunch,.... While your slurping away,...

1. Take the empty soup can, and roll it away from you with the open end on your right side (the same side the spoon lays next to the bowl,... If your right handed),.... take a marker and put a little arrow in the direction it is rolling. ( Try not to get cracker crumbs on it)

2. flip the can side to side, so the open end is on your left side,.... what way is the arrow pointing ?,.... If you do this the right way,... the arrow, will now be pointing towards you,.. "Reverse rotation".

Now enjoy your lunch.

10. Isn't "Flip and Axel" an ice skating move?

11. l dont know,I only watch manly sports:p:p:p:p.

See what wandering does??
    Note to self:Keep dumbass thoughts to self.:eek:

Now,
    Who's the slimy-little-communist-shit-twinkle-toed- rock-sucker whogve this thread a 1 star rating?:confused::rolleyes:

12. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Remember Junkyard Wars?

The two teams slapped together some dragsters to race.
    One team lost the forward gears on the line, but had time between races to flip the rear.

Only had the one low rear gear to work with and ran it. Didn't care what blew because it was do or die. Can't believe it held up and didn't come apart, but lasted.

Then went back to the junkyard...............

13. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Take a pencil and while rotating it like the wheels would normally drive , flip the pencil end for end . Don't stop rotating it and see what happens. Reverses ..doesn't it !

14. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

Now this has been intertaining......

15. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Glad I'm not the only one that watched that show. That was a good episode.

Try this draw a cicle on apiece of paper draw an arrow going clockwise around the arrow. Now turn the paper over and hold it up to the light so you can see through the paper notice the arrow is now rotating counter clockwise.

16. Let me rephrase this.
    I re-read it and it mekes me sound like a d!(k..ok

17. D.R.Smith

D.R.Smith

Something simular,I had a 1933 Avery tractor it was a 3 wheel,with flat head 4.It had a clutch and drive shaft that went to a 3 speed rear end.When the motor died I put a 2300 Ford 4 and auto trans hooked to the 3 speed rear.With the auto trans in drive and the rear in 1,2,or 3 It would go backward.With the rear in reverse it would go forward.Then with the auto in reverse and the rear in 1,2,or 3 it would go forward.It gave a large number of gear scelections. From auto low and rear 1st it would hardly move,to about 50 in auto high and rear reverse.Problem was you could hardly keep the front on the ground when you gave it the gas,and hand brakes almost killed me.I gave it to a scrapper after standing it on end when it hit the 1/2 inch lip going into the garage.

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Moroso has them too and they are fairly inexpensive for the pair. Which reminds me, I need to pick up a set.

19. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You will also need to cut a big hole in the floor for the differential and driveshaft or raise the back of the car REAL high. Notice how the drive shaft hits the diff below the centerline of the rear axle? When you flip the axle over the driveshaft will be about 8 inches higher. This is called "hypoid gears".

20. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

lmfao:d:d:d:d:d

21. toadyoty

toadyoty
    from Warm Beach

In one of my past lives I was a VW tec out in the sticks. I got good at bug transaxles and then one day I did a van with reduction gears and forgot to place the ring gear on the "wrong" side........1 speed forward.......4 speeds backwards.

22. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

how wide are your leaf springs?

23. SmoKerch

SmoKerch

To solve your problem, buy better whiskey.

For the money, there is waaay better stuff out there.

24. for example??

25. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

We had a gear set fail on a Fiat-Allis wheel loader. The guy that removed it didn't look at it real well. When he re-installed it, the loader wouldn't move as the front and rear axles were driving in opposite directions. He swore that the rebuilders installed the wrong gear set. I had to explain to him that he had installed the differential upside down in the case. He didn't believe it until he pulled it out and set it on the bench and turned the pinion.

26. Harms Way

Harms Way

Just a guess here,.... But how much you want to bet that "iwanaflattie" Has a uncomfortable feeling every time this gets bumped to the top,.. with a new comment.:rolleyes::D:D:D

I must admit,.. this gets my vote for the most entertaining new thread of 2012,...:D:D

Hey "iwanaflattie",... Ain't you glad you asked ?????:D

27. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

This thread is proof that stupid questions really do exist :D

28. Harms Way

Harms Way

Don't you think your being just a little rough on him,.........:cool:

NAHHHHH,.... Just Kidding !!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

29. Mike Rotch

Mike Rotch
    from Easley SC

Flip an Independent rearend and mount the engine and a 4WD trans in the rear...backwards so the transfer case connects to the differential.
    Install a gearbox (you've made) from a rearend's carrier assembly between the transcase & IRS diff so the rotation is reversed.
    The only problem I see would be the pinion bearing not being properly lubricated.

30. Not only stupid questions but stupid people too...
    I admit it i have my blonde moments...
    But mostly is being lazy and want to take the easy way out...
    if it was easy everyone would be doing it right???

Well glad I asked Now I know something more.
    :)