Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 32 Ford 3 Window

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48FordFanatic, Dec 31, 2011.

1. smittythejunkman

smittythejunkman

Fiberglass is for boats!!!

2. Harms Way

Harms Way

Totally amazing,..... After all these years, you guys still take the bait ?,..... How many of these threads have been on the HAMB ? 100's ,.... 1000's ?, I'm sorry, but this Steel vs Glass deal has been played out on here time and time again,... and it's always counterproductive. Am I the only one sick of it ?

Somebody throws a hand grenade in ,... and everybody jumps on it ????? Man,... this is just insane !

3. thunderplex

thunderplex

..the same goes for a "Brookville" body too!!!

4. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Mine's fiberglass. I don't look down my nose at those with real steel,

but it doesn't seem to go the other way around. Fuggem' all. It's mine,

I'm happy, and that's all that matters.

And by the way, it's not a kit car. Nothing bolts together without

fabrication or modification.

That being said, this is a kit car :D..............

[​IMG]

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

5. A Boner

A Boner

Checkered firewalls are for rat rods.

6. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

You should do what you want to do ... and not worry about the opinions of desk jockeys here on the HAMB. :D :D

Your money, your decision and your project.
    IF you really want one then bite the bullet and buy a fiberglass or steel replica. I am fortunate in that I have a Henry sold 32 3W coupe but I chased 32 3W's for 10 years before I finally ended up with the one I have

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I love the chase ... but I had a Henry 32 roadster to ride/drive/and work on the time I was hunting for a GOOD 32 3W body. I had just about given up hope of finding one and was just about to buy a Wescott 32 3W coupe body ... but then I finally talked the previous owner into selling me his.

7. juniorsrodshop

juniorsrodshop
    from nh

build what you like! im personally a steel guy but steel costs more and is very hard to come by up here in the northeast. i have seen plenty of glass cars built nicely!

8. Dave50

Dave50

48fordfanatic you should make a poll thread as thats what i am thinking you originally asked for?? Maybe i am not clear on that but thats what i read into it. Build what you want IMO a hot rod is different then a street rod but thats just me... and without starting a war this is a traditional site not saying a glass car cant be traditional who am i to say... cause there are alot of opinions and you know what they say about that :) just my .02 and there are few glass cars done nicely as stated above.

9. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

I didn't ask which was better, or traditional, or anything like that .....all I asked was what percentage of what we see are glass. So if anyone has a problem with the thread it shouldn't be with me . That's my .02

10. Dave50

Dave50

Exactly why i stated making a poll cause as usual threads here turn into something it wasnt intended. This site is for Traditional steel cars for the most part, It as evolved in the past few years to a bunch of other types of cars and trucks etc it has grown so much it has to go with the flow i guess.

11. millersgarage

millersgarage

as a wise man once told me (speaking of roadster bodies) "it's still the same wind in your hair"

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  12. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

I suppose a poll would be good , but I've lost interest at this point. I did get some good information I wasn't really looking for , so all is good.

By the way I bought both of the 327's this afternoon. The guy who owns the yard was able to fire up the one in the truck ( briefly). The truck engine has 68K miles and the car engine has just over 90k. I'm going to oil them up and tuck them away for now. John

13. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Screw fiberglass cars. The last one I saw was rusted up to the door handles!

14. U-235

U-235

"Without trying to hijack 48's thread are steel reproductions of a traditional hot rod more acceptable than a glass build?"

To me, its one and the same....they both are reproductions and not old cars.. the whole fun of building a hot rod is to bring back something that has been discarded or put aside and breathing new life into it, something that lived out its usefullness until you came along....not something that looks old but was manufactured yesterday.

15. Harms Way

Harms Way

Are we building Hot Rods ?,... Or restoring antiques ?

16. Dave50

Dave50

I only referenced a poll as it would be easier and less banter, and people could show what they have and you would see the numbers. Hope you understand my opinion. Congrats on getting the 327`s good score.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  17. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

So, that makes the Rolling Bones crew back east not viewed as traditionalist, building traditional hotrods?? They build the most bad ass cars in the country, well representing a 32 ford as a 32 ford. They start with Brookville bodies:D

18. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Original '32 steel is wicked cool, it has a "soul", and a place in US automotive history. Fiberglass '32's are cool too, but have no soul nor a place in US automotive history. But either way, both can be cool. So do whatever suits you.

19. Xman

Xman

I don't have an issue with glass cars, I've had both. I do have a problem with titleing a glass car with an original Ford title. I think a Ford title should be with an original Ford car not a reproduction of a Ford car where nothing on it is older than two or three years . It might look like a 32 roadster, but it isn't a 32 Ford roadster.
    Just my opinion!

20. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I like hot rods and I'll bet you do to. Now decide what a hot rod is to YOU and build to that vision. If your vision results in a bunch of attaboys from your peers and that kind of thing turns our crank...........you've won!!!
    If your creation raises a lot negative comments but still turns your crank..............you've still won!!! Now, decide which is more important to YOU and get to building/buying (another controversial subject:rolleyes:).

Frank

21. Harms Way

Harms Way

Frank is 100% right,... I don't care what it's made out of,.. I know what a Hot Rod is when I see it.

If your building it to get acceptance by some group or other people, forget it!,.. cause your building it for the WRONG REASON!,... the only one that you have to please is you!

And if you see a smoking cool traditional hot rod, and have to ask if it's glass or steel,.... it don't matter !

Neither does the percentage of glass vs steel 32 3/W's owned by members of the HAMB. IMHO

22. Curly Hand

Curly Hand
    from Tucson

Ed Roth's cars were fiberglass, so are Corvettes & Fuel Altereds... I would say it is ok to build a car out of fiberglass.

23. Armstrong

Armstrong

I think that all of the 'glass haters should offer to sell one of their spare gennie duece three window bodys to this guy to save him from making a big mistake. Oh, and make it affordable for him too.

24. mr.32

mr.32

You will reap what you sew. Glass will not hold its value, steel will. You will always be asked "is it real or a kit "

25. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

I have had both, I enjoyed both. Currently have a 29 tudor on deuce rails and building a glass 5w. Drive it, enjoy it

26. Harms Way

Harms Way

Years ago we were told modifying a old Ford into a Hot Rod would not only destroy the car, but its value as well,... And real estate was the safest investment. If your building a hot rod,... is it for an investment ?, or because you want to build a hot rod?

Like I said,... I for one, am sick and tired of these old worn out cliches, And stupid, mindless comments like the one just made, Anybody that has ever built a car knows a glass body car is no slam dunk,.. and in some cases much more work than a steel body, defiantly not a "kit car".

The Idea of throwing grenades inside your own tent is stupid, counterproductive, short sighted, and ignorant. As some of you know, I have both steel and glass cars.

So, just so I'm clear, you guys that call glass body cars "Kit Cars", that's your opinion,... I think those comment are just plain ignorant, stupid and a cheap shot, and that's my opinion!

27. A Boner

A Boner

Make sure you install an independent front suspension too, because it will run like a bad ass, and ride real smooooooth. You will be happy forever.

28. Skirv

Skirv

I reckon I'll fall on my own sword here. I have a fiberglass car. Would I have rather had a steel 32 3 window?...of course. Am I unhappy with my plastic coupe?...no way. I have spent many miles with it and have many hours building and fabbing parts for it. It's a real hot rod to me. I don't care what it's resale value is or if it has any "soul". You simply can't let these things bother you if you are going to build a fiberglass car. I worked with what I could and have been very happy with it.

[​IMG]

29. Harms Way

Harms Way

Now THAT'S a HOT ROD !
    [​IMG]

30. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

Wayyyyyy cool! I love it