Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need ideas for color front i beam and radius rods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carcrazyjohn, Jan 1, 2012.

1. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Im thinking outside the box.And looking for front suspension color ideas ,Pics would be great Im thinking anodized bronze but not sure ,The online color charts are horrible..........

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  2. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

3. metal man

metal man

Well,what color will the car be?

4. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Car is goin Black .interior brown motor yellow lake pipes black Dont want to mimmick a chrome front end ,

5. badshifter

badshifter

6. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Black would be too much ,

7. badshifter

badshifter

Funny. I was thinking a yellow engine was too much! Dunno.

8. Energy

Energy

;) Well, I'll throw some ideas at ya. Wish I knew what other colors you'll be using, but here's some ideas anyway.

Have the parts copper plated (1st step of chrome process) and then put a clear powdercoat over that so the upkeep doesn't kill ya.

Take it one more step in the chrome process, and get it nickle plated, then you can powercoat/paint metallic colors over that. Metallic powdercoat colors REALLY "pop" when done over chrome/shiny base.

If ya go in the RR/"flintstonemobile" direction, go to lowes and get some rattle cans that look like granite and other stonework when applied. Could even flat powdercoat over that. They also have a rattlecan paint at lowes/home depot that looks like "hammered metal".

Could always go with bare steel that's been smoothed/polished and then clear-coated.

Use your imagination!

"We don't need no stinking boxes!"

9. robber

robber

I think bronze or gold might be kinda trick.

10. metal man

metal man

Maybe do the engine and front end in the bronze? Or, there really are some neat powdercoatings available....wrinkle finishes,so on.

11. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Powder coating and nickle process are out of the equation ,Just trying to get it done for under a 100 ...and my labor.

12. metal man

metal man

I saw a '32 roadster that was black and had the front suspension painted cast iron grey. Looked great.

13. havi

havi

grey.... hammerite grey that is, should go ok with a yellow block and cal custom finned valve covers and/or intake in an aluminum/grey color.

14. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

I have been facing the same dilemma with my '40 build. While I was at the SEMA show this year, I came across this company,KBS Coatings. One of my primary concerns was the lack of decent color options. The rep told me to use their Red Oxide and spray an Automotive topcoat over it while it was still tacky. I was really impressed by their product, they let me pound a heavy wrench on a reaend coated with their gloss black and it didn't even leave a mark. Lots tougher than Powder Coat and cheaper too. Here is a link to their website. http://www.kbs-coatings.com/

15. Cutlassboy68

Cutlassboy68
    BANNED
    from Boone, Nc

pink? it goes well with yellow motor...

Joking I think gold/bronze would look good

16. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Pink is Pat's color Lol .Liked the stainless idea,But want to spray,I have no problem using automotive paint ,But finding paint just in base color or single stage has been a problem,Im just gonna keep looking ,

17. hot rod wille

hot rod wille

I detailed the axles in both of my last 2 cars--my 37 coupe I did the axle body color( yellow) with black as the insert, and on my roadster, I did the axle silver powder coat with the insert red like the backing plates and wheels. The roadster was a highboy,so the axle really stood out,but the coupe never got seen, except by the occational bug.

Attached Files:

18. rebstew187

rebstew187

May not be what you are looking for but here's mine. The 27 will only have two colors black and white. The white is enough to give all the blacked out stuff some contrast.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Would love to see a cast color and where to buy a quart

20. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

your local paint supplier should be able to help. If on a budget try NAPA paints. Go single stage for ease.

21. Energy

Energy

Eastwood exhaust manifold paint?

:confused:

22. rodrobb

rodrobb
    from Sweden

I use Suzuki metalic grey whit flat clearcoat
    look like magnecium

Attached Files:

• 026.JPG
      026.JPG
      File size:
      53.2 KB
      Views:
  23. 32 hudson

32 hudson

Well I an thinking white on the axel bones and shocks, with a black frame. Body and grill shell( with a white insert ) will be black primer for now with a white fire wall. Black engine. Maby a Cobalt Blue final color someday on body and shell. I like that painted axel with with the colored insert in a previous post. A nice paint scheme I had not thought about. Lets see more posts with pictures.

24. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

I have a very hard time settling on colors.

I wanted a bonze for my flathead like used on the Chisman cars
    I finally went with a Mack truck color.
    Tag says

Light chestnut met
    DEM:26201
    MVA26201A

It’s a single stage picked from PPG book at the paint store

25. banginona40

banginona40

I'm thinking a flat clear over freshly sandblasted parts. Cast Iron grey paint seems like a good choice as well.

That's the plan on my '33.

Attached Files:

26. 117harv

117harv

Here is coupe with a nice chassis treatment, although i would have painted some of the components gloss black to give it abit more contrast.

Attached Files:

27. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Paint color for a car is always the hardest choice you will make with building one. I usually have gone back and forth on a bunch of colors and never really make up my mind until I walk into the paint store for the last time and lay down my money.

When I built my 23 I wanted it to be a little over the top stylewise so I went with a black body and frame, like you mentioned you are thinking about, and I painted the rest (engine, transmission, front end, rear end) all in a color called "Fusion Orange", a 2005 Hummer color. I was standing at work one day and a Hummer pulled into the parking lot and it had this old timey gold/copper/bronze kind of color on it that I thought might be good on my T. I asked the guy what color it was, and he told me.

It must have turned out ok because everyone that saw it seemed to like it, me included, but I have to tell you, I was pretty unsure when I was spraying it. It seemed pretty loud those first couple of days but finally laid down into what you see in the pictures below. I also used a saddle tan interior that seemed to not clash with it. Hope this helps you out a little.

Don

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

X2. Thats what I would go with, given the restrictions you've laid out.

29. Hey John.........I know the truck shops carry a spray bomb called "cast blast", maybe they have qts. also.......