Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "Freakin' A" 60s hot rod drag coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Von Hartmann, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Believe it or not, we are trying to keep the car on a budget. We have gotten pretty good deals on the parts so far. Nice blower motors are expensive, and though we have most of the stuff to put the motor together, we are still missing heads. We have a running small block and the tunnel ram to tie us over until the blower motor is finished.

We fully intend to put a huffer on this coupe, but that will probably have to wait a little while. But everything will be set up to the blower.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  2. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

Does sunshine shoot out the crack of ur ass bro? Wow. You guys have some great rides ! The abomination gonna be back at the revival this yr? Well, next yr? ;)

3. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Thanks!

I don't know if the Abomination will ever make that long of a drive again. I've since rebuilt the motor, and I don't feel like motor, my wallet, or I would take it well.

Maybe the Hand Grenade. If the coupe gets the quick change, then that could potentially be in it for the long haul.

4. S.F.

S.F.

I feel ya...Good lookin hot rod.

5. HotRodHighley

HotRodHighley
    from cincy, oh

Looking good Von Hartmann! Reminds me of the one my uncle built in the late 60's early 70's! Gave me a ride when I was 13, (that was 40 yrs ago). He got me hooked on cars!.

6. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

I have not seen a single thing I would change. It's perfect and I can't wait to see it done.

7. chevydave1965

chevydave1965
    from Iowa

COOL ! VERY 60's !!

8. Ghost28

Ghost28

This car is gonna be perfect. I had to subscribe to this thread. Here is a picture of an Ohio car from years ago prolly the 70s cuz of the paint. The old owner tracked it down through the HAMB and it turns out a friend of mine in Colorado now owns it, but sadly it had been changed to more of a street rod before he got it. Your coupe is gonna be bad ass, and the rear fenders are perfect.
    [​IMG]

9. GTSDave

GTSDave

Thanks for the inspiration! I have a 5 window A pickled until it's turn for a build. Most I have seen are fender-less, but I was wondering how it would look built as a drag car with fenders, and yours is right on. Subscribed. Please keep us updated.

-Dave

10. Hambgrenade

Hambgrenade
    from Byron Ill

We did some more research and the fender pieces we acquired for the firewall are from a 42-48 Chevy Fleetline. We are going to pick up the front fenders and running boards on Monday. I found a set on a really nice unmolested car locally. The early Ford club would crap their pants if the saw the car they are coming off of. Sorry, Hot Rodding must go on.

11. Hambgrenade

Hambgrenade
    from Byron Ill

Thanks for the post, we want more photos like this of drag coupes. You never know where your next idea might come from.

12. Lets not do this..lol

[​IMG]

13. Hambgrenade

Hambgrenade
    from Byron Ill

Holy Swiss Cheese Batman!!

14. Saxxon

Saxxon

Holy time and effort...
    If my ever fading memory serves me right, I saw a story on that car that mention it was not allowed to run once the newly formed Safety Safari saw it. This was too much even for the liberal rules back in the day

15. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

My dad and I put in a pretty good day on the car Sunday. Mostly on the firewall.

We cut the tacks holding it in and I continued a majority of the finish work on the table where it was easier to Hammer, weld, and grind it.

I hammered out the little dimples for the hood hinge on the firewall and the cowl. There will be no use for these again since the car will be hoodless. We felt eliminating this cleaned it up in a good way. [​IMG]

After a ton of work and a ton of welding, here it is on the table. I welded the insert again on the backside then ground the face edge to a nice clean bevel. I also finished welding the rod in and blended in the welds.
    I wanted to get the metal as close as possible, in order to use minimal filler. I'm happy with it so far.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gutted
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  16. SOLO

SOLO

Looks good!

17. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

It's pretty much impossible to do as much welding on this thing and not change the shape some. We made some slices to help coax it back where it needed to be. We also pie cut the lower body mount pieces and hammered them to match. Still a lot of work yet, but it is starting to come together. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

My dad got out some of the steering components. This was on the car when we got it. Though it isn't period correct, it is really nice and we have it. This was also one of the many points that helped push the full fenders. It won't be as noticeable.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Found some better fenders and running boards. We also have some repop 31 side aprons. The fenders are a lot better than the other set, but they still need rust and dent repair. The quick change is going in the car and it is currently being rebuilt. I spent part of the day today on the firewall, but it's not ready for another progress report.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
    quick85 likes this.
  20. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

It just rocks. Simple.

21. Saxxon

Saxxon

Those Unisteer R&P boxes are slick. I have one on my Scout. And they are not that much heavier than a Speedway Vega box

22. It's Freakin' A Righteous! Luv the taillight and rear fender treatment. Can't wait for the huffer motor to be dropped in.

23. usmc50lx

usmc50lx
    from St.Louis

You'll love that rack I have one on my coupe and its a beaut to drive my only complaint is turning radius(same as a greyhound bus) but I'll take that hit for as well as it drives!

24. usmc50lx

usmc50lx
    from St.Louis

So will there be a Model "A"bortion vs. Freakin' "A" match race at the Meltdown??? LOL

25. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome rod..........

26. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Perrrrfect....

27. Noland

Noland

very nice, Ive been watching this thread. I really like the style of the car just plain awesome. cant wait to see it done.

28. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

It's too early to tell if it will run at the 2012 Meltdown. If it is running at the 2012 drags, it will likely be with a tunnel ram and turning times not worth bragging about. But who knows

theman440 likes this.
  29. Get back in the garage and back to work on that coupe. Do I need to supply an engine for you guys too??? ha ha ha :D

Eric, Paul, and I are bringing multiple cars each to the Meltdown Drags. Especially considering your location, you and Rich need to do the same!

LOL

P.S. good seeing you two on Sat.

30. Hambgrenade

Hambgrenade
    from Byron Ill

We're working on it and keep those Mopar parts out of the neighborhood. We'll do our best to get it ready but we don't want to halfass anything. That was a great turn out Sat for the Meltdown meeting. For those of you out there watching, the Meltdown is something you do not want to miss. Trust me you don't!!!