Register now to get rid of these ads!

Making a Beautiful Roadster (progress pics)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ThirdGen, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Looks to me like you slid the engine back a TON... Thinking more about that Potvin blower, are we????:rolleyes:

2. Don't forget you'll need to get those valve covers and the distributor off and out at sometime preferably without removing the engine first.

3. toolman1967

toolman1967

I just spent so much time catching up with this build.....Great looking ride and great fab skills. CONGRATS on the progress. Enjoy the time with your dad, My 17 yr old and I are building him a 49 F1 and are both really enjoying the time together.

4. n847

n847

I'm subscribed...Heres some inspiration! I realize these are on a more narrow scale...I believe they were in the April 2010 issue of street rodder, and I believe both owners and builders are right here on the HAMB!

Attached Files:

5. If the owners of these two pictures shown are on this forum can you tell me where I can find your project been build. I am looking to build something like these two.

Thanks
    Frenchy

6. sr808

sr808

The proportions are just right.

7. n847

n847

8. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

Not much to show, but here are a few pics.

Figured out some engine mounts and tacked the pieces together. Took me long enough to figure how they should look and work. I am happy with the final. Now to weld and finish them up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And....... took some more out of the firewall.
    [​IMG]

More to come soon....

9. Del Swanson

Del Swanson
    from Racine, WI

Looks great! If I were driving that I'd have to sit on top of the back of the cab. It looks tiny!

10. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

Hahaha looks are deceiving!
    It is a decently sized cowl, and the rest of the body was made in proportion to that, so should be enough room, no where near spacious though! haha

11. erlomd

erlomd

Looks great! Looks like its going to be a wheelie car though, easy on the gas...lol awesome man!

12. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just stumbled onto this inspiring thread . . . Outstanding work, Josh!!
    Subscribed.

13. linkstar69

linkstar69

Great design and love the hemi

14. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lookin' killer man!!!

15. Nice work. Inventive.

16. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Bump.

How about an update? I'm hooked........too

17. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

I'm really digging the direction this is headed. It's going to make a killer roadster!

18. Still very impressed - I think I actually prefer this type of build to a run-of-the-mill '32, A or T.

Steve

19. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

Thanks for the kind words guys^^^^
    Much appreciated.

I will be providing some more pics soon.

I do have some questions concerns. I have been doing some research and found a lot of great info, but still can't seem to figure out if I can or can't.
    Here is the problem:
    I need to replace the king pins in the '35 Ford axle I have, I was about to purchase some for the 37-41 styled axles figuring they were same, but now I am reading otherwise. So if I replace the king pins with '35 king pins, will i be able to swap to 37-41 or 42-48 spindles or will I have to also stay with '35? and if that is the case, will the later backing plates and drums work with the '35 spindles?

I apologize for the amount of questions, I am just in a bit of confusion.

Thanks

20. Crankhole

Crankhole

Kingpins should match the spindles used.

21. kordd

kordd

i just saw this build... first off amazing work and you have some great fellas to help too!! second you cant call it junkster its far too beautiful in the right way (the raw function way) it looks spectacular! very nice job.

22. RAVENS29

RAVENS29
    from n/a

So, are you doin a windshield or not? I'm building a body from nothing also and thinkin about a hallock style windshield. any thoughts yet?

23. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I had seen this before but forgot to subscribe to it.. I dig building a roadster from left-over parts. Oh, and getting it into the building! That's awesome.

24. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

Here is a long awaited update, with pictures! I haven't been taking as many progress pics I should, but I will try and fix that.

Decided to build a trans. bar, that would be hard bolted, and than have the mounts be closer to the side rails. This is what i came up with. Should work.
    [​IMG]

Next on the list was the steering. O, the steering. This has taken a lot longer than expected. My dad and I found a F1 box at a local junkyard out of a 51 f1 delivery. I removed the flange and will be welding on a new one closer to the box, which then will be bolted to the flange that is welded to the chassis. My dad re-bent the pitman arm to flow nicely around the radius rods. The linkage I will be using is out of the donor '46 merc. My dad suggested to get away from the ball-and-socket, that the f1 uses. The merc pitman arm end is tacked on for the time being and will later be tig'd. We couldn't of used the entire merc pitman arm because the tappered holes were going the wrong way and would of had to been cut and welded anyway. We will also be using the rest of the merc linkage to tie into the steering arm. Here are a couple pics.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

To help out with all of the drilling of the lightening holes, my brother scored a drill press from work, so we made some room within the mess.

[​IMG]

This is what I have decided to do for a steering arm. I was thinking of going may different ways with this. First was to use 5/8" rod, bend it around an original tie-rod end bung, thread the ends, and nut it on the inside of the hub.

Scratched that idea.

Next was to use 1/2"plate, weld on ears to mount it to the hub, and blow a few holes through the plate, and drill a tapered hole to accept the tie-rod end.

Decided against that also.

I decided to go with 5/8" plate, drill and tap the ends to bolt through the hub to attach it, blow a few lightening holes, and drill a tapered hole at the end. We got the shape from hours of turning the steering wheel from lock to lock and trying to figure out the positioning to get the wheel stops to hit before the box bottoms out, and be the same amount of turns in each direction. It was starting to make my brain hurt. If there is a mathematical equation to this please tell. For now, its there because it works!

[​IMG]

I will be finishing up the steering arm tomorrow. I will get some more pictures up when everything is tied up.

Next comes the pedal assembly.

25. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

RAVENS29 - I am still not sure about a windshield or not, I have a few ideas running through my head. A Hallock/DuVall style windshield on your build would like killer on your build, since your lines resemble those on a model A. Nice work by-the-way.

26. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

a bit more progress:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now to drill the tapered hole, straighten out the drag link, and the steering should be complete and on to the pedal assembly.

27. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Still following along Josh. Nice work!

28. DAVEO!

DAVEO!

Damn dude nice work!!!