Register now to get rid of these ads!

Engine Disaster Henry J

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by swade41, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Bigugly

Bigugly

I'm glad you and the engine builder got everything taken care of. Sometimes things just happen, parts break, it's all part of racing or hot rodding. Could have been no one's fault. Good to hear you'll be back out on the track soon. There's nothing wrong with a 600HP 383 engine. We build em everyday for dirt track applications, where guys are turning 8000 rpms for 50 laps per night, all year long. It all has to do with the quality of parts, this is where alot of guys encounter problems, more horsepower/rpms equal more money. Many will try to cut costs by using parts, pieces that are not suitable or engineered for what the person is trying to do.

2. ray-jay

ray-jay
    from Buford GA

I would like to say that it's not rocket science. There are lots of good books out there on building engines. A few hundred dollars investment in tools is all it takes to be able to assemble an engine properly. Anybody that's going to be messing with engines a good bit should build a test stand. I had a cool folding stand back in my car racing days [ but unfortunately no pics ].

By the time the engine went into the car it had 45 + minutes of cam break-in, the heads had been retorqued, the valves hot lashed, timing set, etc. Put the engine in the car, do some launches on the parking lot to get the pump shot where it needed to be and drive the car onto the trailer and make rounds the very first time at the track.

3. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Philip, Great to hear a new engine is back together and running. Very happy for you and it is also very cool to hear that your builder worked with you to make it happen. That is a story in itself.

Also glad to hear that you posted the results here. I am just catching the old thread for the first time and greatly enjoyed reading all of the details brought up by everyone. It is good learning and there is a lot to "tuck in the back of the brain" for the future.

Interestingly, I have a 327 with these same pistons in it. I bought it used but it only has just a few miles on it. Maybe I need to pull it apart and check some clearances!

4. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

On another note since you have re-used a number of parts, I have a question for those experienced builders on this thread...

What are your thoughts on re-using parts from a catastrophic situation like this?

Not trying to stir the pot for Philip at all... Just curious.

In particular, is it somewhat safe to measure and inspect the crank, cam, bare heads (if salvageable...) and re-use them? (While obviously tossing the oil pump, lifters and broken parts). Or would a good builder just write everything off due to unknown stress on the parts and start over?

In my collection of oddities, I have a sbc with forged pistons, dart heads, aftermarket steel crank, etc that lost a rod in grand fashion, which then resulted in one of the heads being pretty messed up in addition to a windowed block. I had pretty much written the whole thing off as junk, but perhaps there are still a lot of good parts there.

I would be interested in some professional viewpoints.

5. Just read this whole thread, a good pal of mine had the same thing happen to a set of these pistons a few years back. I don't theink they are that good of a piston IMHO

6. Bigugly

Bigugly

For us here, it all depends on the severity of the failure. Something that is a major explosion with the carnage you described, I would be a little leery about reusing any of the leftover pieces, without at least having a shop check them over. Even then it is a toss up. We have rebuilt race engines using left over parts at the customers request, but always with a provision that we can never be too sure how long the engine will last, or how much the re-used parts can withstand. Many times, after inspecting the re-used parts, the engines run flawlessly, as we are extremely careful to inspect each and every rod, piston, crank, etc. looking for the smallest evidence of a flaw or weak spot. We always leave it up to the customer. But if we are talking about loosing 2-3 pistons, and 2-3 rods, you are almost better in the long run to buy new sets of each as single rods and pistons can be as much as %15-20% more expensive compared to the pricing when you buy sets. All in all, we leave it up to the customer as to weather we re-use existing parts. we kindly offer our advice and recommendations, but ultimately it is up to the customer and their budget in rebuilding a engine involved in a part failure.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  7. The crank was set in a set of "V" blocks and checked for rotational alignment as well as the throw and then magnufluxed. The cam was treated in the same manor, heads were completely dismantled and gone through with fresh valve job and the rest was replaced. I was a little leary myself on what was acceptable to reuse and asked questions.

8. Once I get this thing lined out Art better watch out. I might even buy a practice tree since he plays with the slot car drags to hone his reaction times all winter...lol

Mike is more retired than I am, I still have to work a few days a week, although I'm sure we both would trade working full time for better health conditions.

9. novabbc

novabbc

Phil, glad everything worked out for you! Looking forward to spring and seeing that car out. Brian

10. Thanks Brian, rumor has it your Mr. Hyde nova and my Henry J will be taking up space in the Calvacade of Cars together ?

11. novabbc

novabbc

Yes Sir, I'm glad you are going to have your "J" there. Should be a great time!

12. Fullfendered

Fullfendered
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Philip, good to hear things are working out. Happy New Year.

13. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Bryon and Philip, Thanks for your response on the re-use of these parts. Greatly appreciate the comments. And Bryon, you obviously nailed it with the comment regarding customer's ultimate budget and wishes. I guess I will at least take the time to pull the engine apart and at least get some of the parts protected and on the shelf.

Philip, Definitely give us an update as you get further along. Looking forward to seeing some shots of the car leaving the line and maybe some youtube video!

14. For sure will do when we get there, probably keep my orginal Henry J thread updated with progress.

15. Bigugly

Bigugly

Happy to help out where I can Bob. Hope all goes well with your engine project.

16. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

17. Old thread but same old results...........lost the rods today

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Wow, carnage again. :eek:

19. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

oh ... no...:eek:

:cool:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  20. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Daaaang! I'd say you are do for a little bit of good luck. Surely you have used up all of your bad luck by now.

21. We would like to think so, nearly hit the wall a couple times so at least we saved the body.

22. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

Think I might be looking for a new engine builder ?? Chris

23. deadendcruiser

deadendcruiser

That really sucks Phil. Maybe the name of the car is too literal. What are your plans now?

24. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

Sorry the see you destroyed another engine. As you said you kept the damage to the engine and your feelings.

25. Sounds like a good idea.

26. Right now at the moment I'm getting the engine ready to pull out so I can look it over. Long term let the car sit probably, a few things around the house need fixed up, Christmas for the kids etc..etc. I just can't see sinking money back into right now, next year or whenever. It can sit and collect dust unless something changes my mind.

27. AllSteel36

AllSteel36
    from California

Just curious...how many passes you figure were on that motor the past few years?

28. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Man that sucks. Do you know what happened yet this time around?

29. Damn that really sucks now !!!