Register now to get rid of these ads!

Delco Remy Specs ...Codes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jarhead, Dec 29, 2011.

1. jarhead

jarhead

Anybody know where I can get the code dates and or specs for the Delco Remy generators? Thanks...

2. rond

rond

3. jarhead

jarhead

Thanks for the Dates codes. The service bulletins help a lot also. Appreciate it rond. Anyone with the specs would be appreciated....

4. jarhead

jarhead

Also, what year was the 12 volt Delco Remy generator introduced in a automotive application?....

5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I located a site for date details but can't now find it again, as an example this is a GM date code which is next to ID number, eg. 1110213. Date code next to identification number, eg.2 M 28

2 - 1962
    M - December
    28 – 28<sup>th</sup> day

6. jarhead

jarhead

Hmmmmm....wouldn't a "L" be for the month of December mgtstumpy in your example?:confused:

7. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I can't locate anything apart from my old notes so I can restamp my generator distributor and starter motor tags. Wish I knew the damn site as I didn't bookmark it.

8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Man! I love period correct hotrods from my youth as much as anybody but date coding generators is too much for even me.:D

I'm pretty sure some 54 Buick's were 12V. Maybe the Rivieras?

On a similar vein, I was surprised to learn that I needed a code or number off of a Delco starter motor to get a starter bendix for a 54 Studebaker. The rebuild shop had to have that number to look it up. Amazingly they had one in a dust covered box once I got the number for them. This was about 4 years ago.

9. jarhead

jarhead

Tommy, To be honest with you, I'm really just looking for a Delco Remy generator without power steering for my chevy 283 that would look original to the motor. Would one off a Buick or even a Oldsmobile be similar ? Meaning the same length and Diameter? Anyone?...

10. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    Yes they all look the same with the step down case. If you get one from another GM make just get the voltage regulator to match the make and year.
    [​IMG]

57 Olds

11. jarhead

jarhead

Tommy, would any 12 volt regulator that is negative ground with three posts work?

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You should be able to get both matching pieces at Napa.

Or check with these guys. The owner is into vintage cars and has restored cars and rods. http://www.smithae.com/ They aren't the cheapest by any means but they do things right and know their stuff. Their turnaround on rebuilds is good too and they do the UPS thing regularly.

13. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I doubt it. I've never tried to use anything that wasn't made to go together. I've always just bought the regulator for the car that the gen. came from. Why chance it? Match the gen. with the voltage regulator and there won't be any problems.

14. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

I often use the delco number and just put it into Google... Works most of the time.

15. jarhead

jarhead

Ok sir , thank you...

16. jarhead

jarhead

I'll try that. Thanks...

17. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Buick, Oldsmobile, and Cadillac went 12 volt in '53. Chevrolet and Pontiac followed in '55. Assuming the generator still has its original I.D. tag, the color of it tells the voltage--black for 6V and red for 12V. If you want a bit more juice, try for a generator from a Cadillac, Buick or Olds; those cars were more likely to have options like A/C or power windows and usually had a higher amp rating.

18. jarhead

jarhead

Good info HEATHEN....thanks...

19. Then hit a site like Rock Auto and look up the regulator and you'll probably find the same regulator fits a couple dozen cars. I have one here that I looked up and was used on multiple years of Studebaker and Chrysler, more than I even took the time to list out.

Also, one oddity/exception to above - '53 Buick Special is 6V and straight eight, basically a carryover from '52.

20. jarhead

jarhead

Wow, That Rock Auto site is very Informative! Appreciate it :D....

21. richie rebel

richie rebel

just ordered regulator from rock auto,good price,will see when it gets here,its not a delco remy its a standard,(thats the brand name),,,,,

22. jarhead

jarhead

One last question... What would be the Amp rating typically on a Delco generator on a "low end";) vehicle and the Amp rating on such vehicles as a Cadillac, Buick and Oldsmobile with all the goodies...

23. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

30 on most of the Chevies and as much as 55 on the Caddies. It depends on the equipment that the car came from the factory with.

If you get the number off of the generator, a Motors manual will tell you the amperage and therefore which regulator to get for it to get a matching set.

I never knew this info was in the Motors manual until I just looked to find the different amps available. This makes it pretty easy if you find one on the ground in a junkyard. Look the number up in the manual and order the correct VR.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  24. jarhead

jarhead

I guess I lied.....another question :eek:.....with my points ignition with built in condenser , I don't need the condenser on the generator, correct?

25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Just wondering, do you currently have a power steering generator?

26. jarhead

jarhead

Sorry I don't have one falcongeorge. The Chevy 283 I acquired had no generator...

27. Yes, I wondering that too. If you do I would be interested in acquiring it. I have a really nice rebuilt generator for 57 olds that I would trade for it if possible. I need to put a tach drive off the ass end of one of those to hook up my tach. Let me know.

28. I just saw that you responded already.

29. richie rebel

richie rebel

the condenser on the gen is only for the radio

30. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Ok, let me preface this by openly admitting I am a total dumb-ass when it comes to electrical, and yes, this is probably a stupid question. Can you convert a 6 volt generator to 12 volts? Rewind the armature? I remember hearing this back in the sixties...