Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bought my first car....again!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bilt, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Bilt

Bilt

Six years ago I started looking for my 1962 Chevy II Nova that I sold when I was 15. It was the first car I bought when I was 13 years old. I remember seeing the car parked across from my house at a grade school. It had a for sale sign in the window and later that night I owned a car.

Two years later I sold it so I could buy a 1965 Chevelle. It was sold to a guy in Winfield, Kansas. Soon after I lost track of the little Chevy II.

Six years ago I started looking for the car. I did not have much luck until last year when I found the VIN on the internet and found where taxes were being paid on the car in Florida. I was able to track down a phone number and finally gave the people a call. After several conversations I was getting closer to owning the car again. Last week I got a phone call from the owner and she said she had moved to Oklahoma and shot me a price on the car.

We made plans to meet on I35 and the Kansas/Oklahoma border for the exchange. She was going to drive the Chevy II from Oklahoma City to the border. Just prior to the meeting time I got a phone call from the owner. She gave the "good news"-"bad News" story.

Good news was she was two miles south of the border.
    Bad news.....car blew out a ton of white smoke and died on the side of the road.

I arrived with a trailer less a winch or come along. Luckily its was a small car and we were able to get it loaded and on to Winfield the car returned after 20 years!!!

The pictures with the black top are the car twenty years ago. The white top is the current condition.

Attached Files:

• 62 640x480.jpg
      62 640x480.jpg
      File size:
      81.9 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      495.3 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      480.9 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      420.7 KB
      Views:
  2. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very cool story. Congrats on getting your car back. What are your plans for it??
    Gasser Girl

3. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

That's awesome! always nice to have that first car again i'm sure

4. VNTGE41

VNTGE41
    from l.a.

Congrats awesome story

5. Rpmrex

Rpmrex
    from Indiana

Very cool story. So what happened to it when it quit runing?

6. Cutlassboy68

Cutlassboy68
    BANNED
    from Boone, Nc

Awesome man... I just sold my first car, after 10 years... made me sad

Since it had motor problems you got it cheaper right ;)

7. slowmotion

slowmotion

Not an easy task, tracking one down, congrats!

8. 67vetteal

67vetteal

I stupidly sold my 67 Vette in 1986 and bought it back in 1998. Never again. Congratulations to you!! Believe me I know.

9. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

10. johnod

johnod

11. Bilt

Bilt

When I got there her husband thought it was a headgasket. I checked the oil and it looked good, I tried to bump it over, and it was dead. The was not any puddles under it and no fluids in the engine compartment. I turned on the headlights and the battery was dead. I was at a loss. I'm going to check fluids again. If they look good then I'll jump start it and see what it does.

The temp out was 45 degrees while they were driving up. They drove into a cold front and temps dropped to 32 degrees. The upper radiator hose was ice cold. The radiator was ice cold, and the lower hose was burning hot. I'm a little afraid of the car coming from Florida to Oklahoma, that it was straight water and may have froze up while driving.

Have not had a chance to mess with it yet.

12. Bilt

Bilt

I'm planning on (after getting it running again) to put steel wheels on it with small hub caps and rings. Then taking it to Jeff Myers (Finkd) and let him work his magic on a 60's style fade or panel paint job with some lace. Shooting for a 60's custom look.

13. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

I let a 64 Chevy II go about 20 years ago and wish I never would have. Two years ago I ran into it at a local cruise. I called my Dad over to take a look at it and right as he was telling me that there was no way it was the same car someone behind me said "Remember me?". I turned around to see the kid I sold it too. Story goes he sold it to a guy that ragged it out and then bought it back after 6 years. He restored the car to the way it was the day he bought it from me (including a very early Pioneer cassette player). It was his first car and he wanted it to be just like it was when he bought it. I tried to make him an offer but he said he wouldn't sell it for anything cause it was his first "cool" car.

14. Shyra

Shyra
    from USA

Congratulations! That's really nice.. It's perfect especially Christmas is getting near and you need to go in different places.. A new car is the best way to end this year..

15. This is inspiration....My son picked up a 62 Nova HT up near Ponca City about 5 years back. Basket case but it had been used as a drag car and had a Ford 9". Since he is now out of college and soon gainfully employed (we hope!) maybe we can make some progress. Taking up space in the shop.....

16. Bilt

Bilt

Good news...bad news.
    Good News: Found out why it had a bad day on the highway!!!!
    Bad News: It's locked up tighter than Fort Knox.

Looks like its going to get a heart transplant with another 283 long block, boil and clean the radiator, new water pump, and new alternator. I guess this means I will get the engine compartment painted and done before I get the body done. Some sort of a set back but stuff happens and its just time and money I guess. If someone would like to donate a three deuce setup now would be the time and I would be more than happy to take it. lol. I just hope to have it on the street after the snows leave this part of the country!!

17. mlagusis

mlagusis

nice car and glad you got it back...my first one is a OT but a 67 Malibu 2 Door hardtop

18. DARK HORSE CUSTOMS

DARK HORSE CUSTOMS

Where did you go 2 search the VIN?

19. Cool Story, My first car was a 63 chevy II 4 door 100. Cool little cars.

20. KUSTOM 50

KUSTOM 50

That is so great, Are those the same wheels on ? looks like they only shot the top in white. Great score getting it back

21. carsluTT

carsluTT

great work!...... nice to see you were able to find your first car love after all this time has gone by

22. xlr8er

xlr8er

I have always liked these kind of stories. Glad to hear you found yours. I'm a little far away but I have a 67 283 here that I don't need and would sell pretty cheap ($350). Best of luck to you. I hope it comes out exactly the way it's pictured in your mind!!

23. larry woods

larry woods
    from venice fl

great story and as to long term "affair" with a car check out car in my album. keep us posted!

24. Bilt

Bilt

I "Googled" the VIN and was lucky that Florida is a public record. It took several years to find though. After I found the name of who was paying taxes on it and their address. I "Googled" them and was lucky enough to find a phone number for them. Got to love the internet!!! but its kinda scary to think how much info I got about them from a stupid computer.

The only change was a little more rust but not too bad, it lost the 250 inline for a 283 (fair trade), and painted the black to white. It has the same wheels as it had when i sold it. I'm not sure what brand they are but I bought some stock steelies for it. Plan on running small caps and rings to cover up the four lug until I can get the five lug setup on it.

25. RetroSpeed

RetroSpeed

Congratulations on finding and buying back your first car.

Even with the "Good News - Bad News" repairs necessary to get it road worthy, it must feel great to have it parked in your garage.

26. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

Congrats on your find. I owned a 67 camaro convert for 20 yrs. and sold it to get cash to buy a vette. Still miss it after 10 yrs.

27. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Damn that's cool. Blown up or not.... Got your old car back.

Post progress pics.

28. Bilt

Bilt

I will post progress pictures. After "Zombie Speed Shop" gets finished helping me with the engine I plan on taking it down to "Finkd" to let him work his magic on it to make it a cool custom. I plan on going out on a limb here. Most old Novas end up as Hot Rods or gassers which I am a big fan.....but....I think I'm going to do this as a mild custom for a few reasons. 1. Because its not done to Novas very often 2. just to be different and 3. because I love the old customs. When I say mild custom it is going to be wheels and paint without a ton of body mods.....unless Jeff gets a wild hair. lol

29. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool story. Any suggestions for what worked or what didn't work when you were looking for your car?

30. DARK HORSE CUSTOMS

DARK HORSE CUSTOMS

Thanks for the info...And I think the story is awesome.... I recently aquired my Grandpa's 62 chrysler newport that i had tracked for nearly 15yrs..... It a great feeling to bring home a member of the family...