Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. easter

easter

That's what I thought. Some people back home thought I should be in school. This was school. English: I read programs, sponsors on hoods, and communicated with people from all over America; Math: I knew cubic inches, car numbers, gear ratios, and starting postions; Health: I had beer, cigars, and fairground food; History: I was living it. Hell, I thought we were rich.

2. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

The Ray Leo midget was run with the AARA in Ohio perhaps as late as 2000 or thereabouts as I recall running with it.

Coincidently, within the last week, while going through old magazines to discard, I tripped on the 2 page picture story about it. I will try to locate it and PM you.

3. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Very sorry to hear that. R.I.P. Charlie.

4. baldtireman

baldtireman

He could have allowed you to have a couple of temporarily unemployed trophy girls to help you. :p

5. baldtireman

baldtireman

Anybody know the car and driver in the middle? Looks like the "Allyn Tool Special" ,but........:confused:

6. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

In the October 2000 issue of Vintage Oval Racing on page 30 is an article about Lowell Sherer (and possibly written by him as well) and the Ray Leo Special that he owned and drove. Leo completed this rail framed Offy in 1947, supposedly the last of 6 sprint cars and about 12 midgets he had built in Columbus, OH.

There is one vintage picture possibly around 1950 showing Ray Leo and then owner Al Schaffer and two later 90's photos showing the car driven by Sherer with it's flamed paint scheme that I remember on basically a black car. This was a well built attractive two cross springer car.

Someone on this thread and/or the Cageless Midget thread may well know lots more.

7. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

Thanks Al.
    Would that have been a URC race or did the sprinters run open races there every so often?

8. Butch Evans

Butch Evans

I have a friend that comes to my shop quite often by the name of Ken Paulson. I've heard several stories about "Pappy" Leo from him. give me some info and I'll have him make contact with you. He and Ray were long time race buddies.
    Butch Evans

9. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

I don't believe I ever saw a URC race at Reading. That photo was from a USAC show. Tilley and Adamson were running on temporary permits. I remember Tilley finished 2nd to Larry Dickson that day.:)

10. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

baldtireman, I'm gonna see Skip Matczak this Saturday, I will ask if it was his car and who was driving it. Denny Z

11. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

.....'I apologize for not including all of the details of the photo but you guys have covered it. It was a USAC National Sprint Car race at Reading (PA) on Sunday afternoon, March 31st, 1968. Ray Tilley in the #88, Don Kreitz, Sr. in the Allyn Tool Spl. #98 (in the middle), and Bobbie Adamson in the W. G. Hawthorne Spl. #35. Al Consoli is also right, Larry Dickson not only won that race but also won both spring races at Reading that year in the Smith #4.

I had only posted the pic to show sideways27 that installing a second roll-bar above the existing one, wasn't out of the ordinary.

It was only a week ago that a buddy of mine and I were discussing Bobbie Adamson. My friend was at Ascot Park in California the weekend after the Turkey Night midget race in late November 1967. The CRA sanctioned an open-competition sprint car race at Ascot with a huge purse. Bobbie Adamson came out from PA in that same Hawthorne Spl. to run and had fast time, took the lead on the first lap going down the backstretch of the 6-car trophy dash and then won the 100-lap feature. The word was, whoever had put up Bobbie's appearance and tow money, reneged on the offer after the races??? I remember Rick Ferkel did the same thing to the CRA racers at the 1973 Pacific Coast Open.

12. GOSHOW

GOSHOW
    from Dover

You got that right Spike! Anytime you could run wheel to wheel with Tilley you had a great night...

13. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

That pic was taken at a USAC SPRINT show at Reading. They ran there about twice a year back then.

14. easter

easter

Here's an enlargement from Selinsgrove in 66 or 67. Anybody recognize the guys on the left or the car behind Dean Mast's car in the foreground?

[​IMG]

15. baldtireman

baldtireman

Thank you,sir. Happy new Year to you and all the good folks here!;)

16. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

Hey Bob Shaw. If you see this post send me a PM. I'd like to chat with you. Rich Gibbs (Gibber)

17. Perfect Day.

Attached Files:

18. easter

easter

Beautiful. What's that hanging down off the front nerf?

19. gtxrider

gtxrider

No Brain Bucket?

20. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Al;
    In the late 50s and early 60s a few races were runj as USAC-URC co-sanctions due to car counts.

21. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

No helmet? I hope the engine3 was not running.

22. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

The Thomson pic must be 1955 or before. USAC TOOK over from AAA in 1956, and roll bars were a rule. No roll bar, no raqce!!!

23. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Millers at Milw Mile Event: Throughout the day-A slow- session 20 min break then fast session - clothing optional for the slow one.

Hanging off the front bar -maybe a support loop for the long external starter drive shaft???
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXQlu30Cmkw

24. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

I'm sure wynns #1 can answer your question-that was his first restoration :)

25. monkaz

monkaz
    from gilbert,AZ

Spike,

You are incorrect - there was no mandatory roll bar rule after USAC took over in 1956. The photo I posted of Johnny Thomson was taken in 1957 when he ran the yellow # 2 Traylor sprinter.

26. This

Attached Files:

27. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

I didn't know that, but I do remember some of the URC drivers, like Haloquist and Jiggs Peters, in field back then.

28. easter

easter

Thanks RB Blatz. That car is beautiful.

29. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

Roll bars only became mandatory in all of the USAC open cockpit divisions (sprints, midgets, championship) with the start of the 1959 season.

30. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

New Jersey required roll bars in 1957, at least at Trenton for champ cars and midgets. But it was a state law, not a USAC mandate.