Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration :::Just Some Cool Vintage Race Inspired Striping and lettering... By HILTON..:::

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by eastcoast57, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Feel free to move this if need be... I know its a bit off topic being a cycle tank, but just wanted to share some stuff i have been working on.

Got an old friend that has been building some killer drag inspired bobber bikes, needed some stuff done, said i'd take care of it. Alot of my inspiration comes from vintage race car inspired graphic work... Guys like Nat Quick, Kelly, Circus Paint, Mr J.. pretty much all drag guys. Vintage sprinters influence me a TON too..

I've done my share of HELPING with gilding jobs, mostly on tail tanks for vintage sprinters, but never actually laying size and laying leaf all on my own time...

[​IMG]

solid gold..

[​IMG]

Sweep sweep sweep

[​IMG]

I "machine turned" it by hand, i would have prefered a velvet ball, but all i had was some cotton.. it turned out ok for such a small deal...Drop shadows..
    [​IMG]

Figured id throw some leaf down the center on the striping too...

[​IMG]

Finished outlined and shadowed..

[​IMG]

Little liner to pull it together..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's a few things that i would have done different..hell with it... the "55" is part of the name of the shop... Was a quick turnaround so i hauled ass on it... All in One Shot, which i havent used in a long time, usualy use HOK enamel anymore, so it took a bit longer then expected. I still have the rear fender to do when i take the tank back, will get some pictures of the work at the shop. Im ready to finish this bitch so i can get my end of the deal- TEST RIDING IT!!

Hope you all enjoy, thanks.

T.Hilton

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  2. edweird

edweird

looks great. where can i get goldleaf?

3. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Looks good.. Nice job......

4. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

5. Ed- Our local "old style" single owner art store in downtown Cincinnati carries a ton of different leaf- And the real shit that costs $$$$ per book. There are some websites that sell books as well.. a quick search should bring it up. Rolco oil based size is a must as well, as well as a brushable clear coat if it is on top of the paint.

Thanks

6. casper

casper

Badass !!! You make it look soo easy, I started to think I could do something like this, and then I remembered...I don't have the slightest bit of talent !!! It looks bitchin.

7. Very cool. Wish I had that type of talent. I have a guitar I'd love to get striped with some gold leaf.

8. Thanks guys.. It's funny how much of a mystery gilding is made out to be sometimes by individuals... I remember the first time we did it on some fiberglass willys doors for a recreation... We said damn, thats it!?
    Sometimes you just gotta dive in and try it till its right.

TH

9. mickeymoto48

mickeymoto48

eastcost57 is right. Nice work is 90% hard work and practice and 10% raw talent. Whether it's welding, painting, upholstery, or any other skill, you just have to make a commitment to learn the skill, practice, and do it until it's right. And by the way DanBabb, you must have some very respectable talent and commitment to be diving into your 52 Pilothouse/Hemi project. Your organizational skills and vision for the successful outcome of the project shows considerable talent. Get'r done!

10. Original57

Original57

Very cool man, very cool. Love them old style graphics. After reading what mickeymoto said about 90% being hard work and practice, maybe it's time I pulled my finger out and started learning how to stripe. :)

11. sololobo

sololobo

Outstanding, love the engine turning on the gold leaf. Really super! ~sololobo~

12. edweird

edweird

thanks eastcoast57.

13. Just a little follow up...

Did the rear fender on the bike today... Got a little carried away..

[​IMG]

Just some good lighting on the tank back on the bike..

[​IMG]

Thanks guys...

TH

14. oj

oj

Is there a style that that is called - you've nailed it whatever it is - but it looks more like an old flattrackers tank lettering, very nice. That type of thing is so unique like the guy that did the circus tent displays and lettering where it is just perfect in its' own environment.

15. edweird

edweird

looks great!!!!